IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Blinking light in headlight housing

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-10, 10:55 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinking light in headlight housing

I guess I should point out that I'm having problems with my passenger side bulb randomly going out. I have to turn the light all the way off and back on for it to kick in again. I think I just need to replace the bulb.

I've got this blinking amber light inside my headlight housing. Idk why it's there and it doesn't seem to have any pattern to it's blinking. I only notice it in the passenger side and when the light randomly turns off.
I notice it when the light goes out and then even after I turn the light back on, it still blinks for a while.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is what type of light do I need to replace my fog lights? I have one out and the one that's in is yellow. I think I read somewhere that the US spec has a yellow film where the jdm spec has a yellow HID?

Lastly, why do people replace their daytime running lights?
Old 12-30-10, 11:22 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Anyone? Thoughts?
Old 01-04-11, 08:03 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Ok, I replaced the high beams and low beams as well as plugged my DRL back in. This seems to have fixed the issue with the low beam randomly going out, but the passenger side high beam doesn't turn on. The DRL work on both sides so i know the bulb is good.
Also the passenger fog doesn't work, I'm not sure if that is the bulb or not.

About the blinking amber light. It is the small light located inside the top of the low beam reflector. What is this light for and mine looks like some type of led light.
Old 01-04-11, 11:09 AM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

It should be just a 194 bulb. Comes on with the running lights and stays on when beams are on. They just luminate the headlights housing

edit: people usually replace the daytime running lights because it's considered safety blah blah. If you have Xenon bulbs it maybe the the bulb. Replace it. If problem still persist then replace the ballast.

Last edited by Justin727; 01-04-11 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-04-11, 12:15 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

I think I've been very confusing. lol

I was having an issue prior with the low beams. The passenger side would randomly quit. When it did quit, the parking light would flash on that side. The parking light had some sort of LED amber light in it.

Now, I have replaced the HID's in the low beams with new ones and it's seemed to fix my problem with the light quitting out on me. When I replaced the low beams, I also replaced the high beams and plugged in the DRLs. After I got the new bulbs In I checked them and when I turned on the high beams, the passenger side high beam did not light up. I thought it could be the bulb, but since the DRLs are really just the high beams with low power and both of the DRLs work, I know the new bulb is good.

Does anyone know why the parking light or city light as some call it, would start blinking in random succession when my old low beam would quit out?
Old 01-04-11, 12:59 PM
Justin727
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

May have been in a front end collision @ some point. Possibly bad connection, pinched wire, bad ground.

Time to pull out the ohm meter!