IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

E-shift pointless?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-10, 11:14 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-shift pointless?

What's the advantage of E-Shift? Is there any? The only thing I can think of is being able to downshift to third or 4th when passing someone on the highway. I know you can't go to first when in E-shift, but it lies. When at a stop, the car starts in first and auto shifts to second it seems. Also if you're in 5 and step on it, it auto downshifts and still says you're in 5th...

GRRR, I want manual

/rant
Old 12-20-10, 11:29 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

(1) I live on a mountain and keeping both hands on the wheel while shifting is a good thing. I never go above 3rd gear coming up the mountain and need to keep my RPM's steady at 4k or so for a comfortable "run". Some corners I have to pop down to second.

(2) it limits you to any gear or lower like a manual would whereas an auto just goes all the way up to 5th and bogs.

(3) if you boost you'll love e-shift.

(4) controlling your shift points is really the same in e-shift as manual. You can shift as late as you like.
Old 12-20-10, 11:37 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Easier to start a burnout in eshift 2 vs full auto

That's the only advantage for me
Old 12-20-10, 11:57 AM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
(1) I live on a mountain and keeping both hands on the wheel while shifting is a good thing. I never go above 3rd gear coming up the mountain and need to keep my RPM's steady at 4k or so for a comfortable "run". Some corners I have to pop down to second.

(2) it limits you to any gear or lower like a manual would whereas an auto just goes all the way up to 5th and bogs.

(3) if you boost you'll love e-shift.

(4) controlling your shift points is really the same in e-shift as manual. You can shift as late as you like.
About controlling your shifts; if you don't shift, the E-Shift will shift for you wont it? So as and example, if you were drag racing, wouldn't it be better to use auto mode since auto goes to redline and shifts as the e-shift will shift but may hit the rev limiter?
Old 12-20-10, 12:16 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Shadowen
About controlling your shifts; if you don't shift, the E-Shift will shift for you wont it? So as and example, if you were drag racing, wouldn't it be better to use auto mode since auto goes to redline and shifts as the e-shift will shift but may hit the rev limiter?
Use the PWR button because it drags out your gears before shifting.

Yeah using the e-shift, if you don't shift before you hit limiter you will lose time.

Why would you want to drag racing a stock automatic IS300 anyway?
Old 12-20-10, 12:28 PM
Shadowen
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by llllllllll
Why would you want to drag racing a stock automatic IS300 anyway?
True, lol. I was only using it as an example, but it does sound silly.
Old 12-20-10, 07:23 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

I enjoy the eshift, if your cruising and wanna get up and go you can downshift and take off rather than stomping it and waiting for the tranny to downshift itself. Imo it's fun when u get someone next to you on the highway lol
Old 12-21-10, 01:45 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For drag racing keep it in non-e-shift mode. The tranny is more consistent than the human and you will never hit the rev-limiter this way.

Two good uses are:

1. To keep the tranny in a lower gear, when driving straight in bunched traffic, where you may want to quickly weave and jump on the gas to change lanes, pass, etc.

2. When exiting a turn, say a freeway cloverleaf where you want to accelerate quickly as you merge. e-shift to 3rd gear and then jump on it as you get on the straight. The car will take off a lot faster than if you were in 5th gear and depend on the tranny to kick down a gear or two. You are also in more control to modulate your acceleration as you get on it.

Also when you are driving in a lower gear and then you accelerate to wide open throttle, you DON'T need to watch the tach to see when you need to shift before redline, just hit the up shift button early. As long as you are floored at wide open throttle the tranny WILL NOT shift anyway, it will wait till redline and shift for you.
Old 12-21-10, 02:00 PM
dubstar
Pole Position

i love using my e-shift. yea i still miss driving a manual. but its almost the best of both worlds. stuck in traffic? slap it in auto. wanna have some fun? move it over to manual. unless your like me and sometimes forget your in e-shift mode, or hit the wrong button lol
Old 12-21-10, 02:20 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadowen
About controlling your shifts; if you don't shift, the E-Shift will shift for you wont it?
Nope, it will not shift above the gear you are in. Extremely handy for rolling starts if you intend to race. Just like a manual it will sit in 3rd at 35 if you are in 3rd.