IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

01 LEXUS IS300 Double Din Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 01:47 AM
drv1103
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 LEXUS IS300 Double Din Install Help

Hello to all, I am installing a new double din kit on my 2001 Lexus IS 300 i have the dash kit already but i need to know what is it exactly that i need to make it work. Is there any additional wires or adapters i need after i remove the stock stereo? I also heard that 2001 models are more complicated with double dins. Is there anyone with a 2001 that has done this if so please help.

Thanks!
Old 12-11-10, 09:09 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by drv1103
I also heard that 2001 models are more complicated with double dins.
Don't get spooked and just do it. Fit kit and wire harness like every other install in the world. Plug and go. Nice and easy That is if you are using a reducer harness. (waste of money)

This info applies if you intend to do an amp bypass or not, but either way you still have to decide how to do the install. A standard wire harness (no reducers) can be applied to the inputs of the factory amp via the RCA output of the aftermarket head unit, which is low voltage. Take some of THESE and plug them into the RCA coming out of the radio and wire them to the speaker wires on the car harness which go into the amp.

The low voltage drive will allow you to run an aftermarket radio without an $80 reducer while maintaining the factory amp which is much more powerful than the radio itself you'd be installing (it's a good little factory amp, therefore I do not recommend an amp bypass).

Last edited by O. L. T.; 12-11-10 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-24-11, 01:13 AM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

is there a DIY for a install?
Old 02-24-11, 06:14 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

which double din kit did you get? the reason i ask is my stock stereo had already been replaced when i bought the car, it was replaced with a cheap kit that allowed you to fit a single din, and thats exactly what they did, they also removed the amp and did a terrible hack job on the wires, i tried to go back to stock but it was just too messed up but that a whole other story

i picked up a jdm double din kit from nigel which meant i had to move my heated seat buttons and there was only one slot for buttons in the kit, i took out the coin slots beside the steering wheel and moved the driver heated seat button and the trac control button over there and left the passenger side heated seat button under the dvd player, if this is something you have to do as well let me know and i will try to help you as best i can across the internet lol
Old 02-25-11, 10:45 PM
TonyN
Instructor

dont have one yet, i am thinking about a double or single flip out. I wanted to see what type of harness is required, is it just the basic one that you usually get for normal cars or is there something special about it.
Old 02-26-11, 03:42 AM
UNOHOO

i dunno about the wiring harness, my wiring was chopped up more than this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRyj5cHIQA
Old 02-26-11, 05:47 AM
FlyGuydar
Rookie

lmfaooo^ classic
Old 02-26-11, 09:52 AM
nvryder
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know about you guys but I would not recommend using the factory amp. I just installed my aftermarket double din dvd/nav/radio and had to dump the factory amp because of alternator/engine noise coming from the speakers (it bugged the **** outta me until I rewired the whole system). Good luck and let me know how it goes......
Old 03-03-11, 02:41 PM
TonyN
Instructor

well if you bypass the factory amp you need to replace the rear speaker, most HU run 4-8ohms while the OEM runs 2ohms. I bought the metra harness, it should all be good as others have done it.
Old 03-03-11, 04:15 PM
MY2J
Pole Position

^^^there's the answer to the OP question...

METRA HARNESS TYTO-01

this allows you to "plug-n-play" and bypass the factory amp while still plugging into it.
Old 03-17-11, 07:30 PM
donnieb83
Rookie

Cool....seems easy enough!
Old 05-25-11, 09:12 AM
wyteboi
Driver School Candidate

In about a week or so I'm gonna be installing a pioneer double din in my 02 is300 I was wondering if I cud use any harness or does it have to be a specific harness to keep my factory amp if anyone cud help I'd appreciate it
Old 05-31-11, 07:05 PM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I used Metra TYTO for my set up and Scosche din kit... '01 is different from other years in that that it has an extra connector that needs to be spliced into the Metra harness...
Old 06-02-11, 02:10 PM
BASSMANROY
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by drv1103
Hello to all, I am installing a new double din kit on my 2001 Lexus IS 300 i have the dash kit already but i need to know what is it exactly that i need to make it work. Is there any additional wires or adapters i need after i remove the stock stereo? I also heard that 2001 models are more complicated with double dins. Is there anyone with a 2001 that has done this if so please help.

Thanks!
you need a ;double din ; radio mouning kit to put the aaftermarket
and if you have steering volume control on steering ; you need a volume control module in order for your steering control to work with after market radio;;
Old 06-02-11, 02:12 PM
BASSMANROY
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by wyteboi
In about a week or so I'm gonna be installing a pioneer double din in my 02 is300 I was wondering if I cud use any harness or does it have to be a specific harness to keep my factory amp if anyone cud help I'd appreciate it
???????? for you do you want to bypass factory am or retain factory amp use with after market deck

Quick Reply: 01 LEXUS IS300 Double Din Install Help