IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

stupid dumb problems with this IS

Old 07-14-10, 07:40 AM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid dumb problems with this IS

Ive got the lemons of all lemons or just the worse luck. Once i fix one thing something else pops up. Ive changed the ps rack, ps pump, water pump and belts cost me a fortune. All was good for a couple days until i turned on my AC. i feel a rumble underneath my seat and a noise in my engine. Feels like my car is goin to shut off. Think its from the exhaust im not sure. i have no clue about cars. on top of that toyota messed up my steering wheel after i got ps alignment done to it since the wheel was off after ps rack was in stalled. Luv my IS get alot of compliments i want to get past these dumb repairs and do stuff to my car that i want to do like lowering, new rims and new headlights. If anyone can chime in with any advice about why my car acts up when AC is on Let me know i desperately need it.

thanks Guys
Old 07-14-10, 07:42 AM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

Attached Thumbnails stupid dumb problems with this IS-caronslope.jpg   stupid dumb problems with this IS-img2b4e0034.jpg   stupid dumb problems with this IS-faithcar.jpg  
Old 07-14-10, 08:02 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

oh don't worry about the rumble under your seat that's just me

got any pics from behind.....
trying to see the tails, paint or vinyl?
Old 07-14-10, 10:03 AM
IanHen
Rookie

Check your rpm at idle with the A/C on and the A/C off.
Old 07-14-10, 10:32 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

exactly, at idle the engine will drop in rpms some due to engaging the ac compressor, if it drops too much you may need to up your idle speed.

btw where in pa are you?
Old 07-14-10, 01:26 PM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

thanks ill check it. in the garage now gettin aligned since toyota messed up my ps alignment. i got this local garage near me called Tiremart fixed up my alignment perfect and asked me what toyota was doing with it. toyota claimed it couldnt do it cuz they would have to remove the power steering rack which is why it was still crooked. took it to tiremart fixed the alignment in 40minutes no probs
Old 07-14-10, 09:01 PM
Choiza
Rookie

What year is your IS300 and when did you get it? Also how much mileage does it have?
Old 07-14-10, 09:17 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

your RPM's are naturally going to drop when you turn your a/c on because you are putting a load on your voltage system that was not there before, so when you turn it on it is not uncommon for the RPM's to drop to 500 RPM, but in a few seconds it should bounce back up to about 7500 or 850 RPM as your voltage sytem has compensated for the a/c being turned and the compressor being engaged, so if you RPM's aren't jumping back up you might need to adjust your idle, what does it idle at normally? Also could be a problem with your idle air control, maybe a vacuum leak on your intake or a bad idle air control valve? check these posibilities out.
Old 07-14-10, 09:21 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
your RPM's are naturally going to drop when you turn your a/c on because you are putting a load on your voltage system that was not there before, so when you turn it on it is not uncommon for the RPM's to drop to 500 RPM, but in a few seconds it should bounce back up to about 7500 or 850 RPM as your voltage sytem has compensated for the a/c being turned and the compressor being engaged, so if you RPM's aren't jumping back up you might need to adjust your idle, what does it idle at normally? Also could be a problem with your idle air control, maybe a vacuum leak on your intake or a bad idle air control valve? check these posibilities out.
also, there is always the possibility that your a/c compressor is starting to go and about to lock up, which would mean you would need to replace your ac compressor with new or used, but this seems like a very unlikely possibility because your RPM's are affected by it and if your a/c compressor was bad it shouldn't affect your RPM's it should just make horrible noises, and if it locks up it will just rip your belt in two, and at that point you car will run until the battery dies as there is no belt there to turn your altenator to charge the battery, but like i said an unlikely possibility since your RPM's are affected when you turn the a/c on, hope this helps.
Old 07-15-10, 06:19 AM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

i checked this morning with that car in park and the rpms stayed steady when the ac was on. my guess is its related to the aftermarket exhaust but that is just a guess with nothing to back it up.
Old 07-15-10, 06:21 AM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

Originally Posted by Choiza
What year is your IS300 and when did you get it? Also how much mileage does it have?

90k and 2months ago. 2003
Old 07-15-10, 06:23 AM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
also, there is always the possibility that your a/c compressor is starting to go and about to lock up, which would mean you would need to replace your ac compressor with new or used, but this seems like a very unlikely possibility because your RPM's are affected by it and if your a/c compressor was bad it shouldn't affect your RPM's it should just make horrible noises, and if it locks up it will just rip your belt in two, and at that point you car will run until the battery dies as there is no belt there to turn your altenator to charge the battery, but like i said an unlikely possibility since your RPM's are affected when you turn the a/c on, hope this helps.

wow that would be a nightmare. i already spent 3k in repairs and maintanance
Old 07-15-10, 06:44 AM
IanHen
Rookie

My idle rpm with A/C off is 750 -900 approx.

with A/C on its almost always at 1000 rpm, but very occasional its as low as 900 rpm approx. when the car is warmed up.

If your idle isn't in spec then fix that first.
Old 07-15-10, 06:46 AM
IanHen
Rookie

Also I don't think my idle speed drops at all when the A/C engages, the idle up seems to take care of it. And I am in Dallas area, its hot here and A/C works very well.
Old 07-15-10, 08:39 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LexiSoSexi
wow that would be a nightmare. i already spent 3k in repairs and maintanance
well depending on where you are in PA myself and my friend jason might be able to help you out if you need more work done, I live about 20-30 minutes from chambersburg PA and my friend jason lives up near gettysburg PA, just let us know what you need done and we might be able to meet you somewhere and help you out

youll find that lexus owners on here and other forums are all a pretty tight knit group and like to help each other out, like I chill with the guys from Northern Virginia a good bit and we do garage meets where we all meet up and do work on each others cars and stuff so get yourself a good local group and youll be taken care of

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: stupid dumb problems with this IS