IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

"Trac Off" button flashing on and off

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 03:48 PM
Pat5HKU19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation "Trac Off" button flashing on and off

Hey, my traction control light is flashing on and off and my check engine light is on aswell! What could be going on? My tires are really DONE! Could this be why this is happening ? Thanks Guys
Old 11-12-10, 09:03 PM
Apex84
Lead Lap

Have you put on a new intake or headers? The flashing means your car is in limp mode.
Old 11-12-10, 09:55 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

^^^^Agreed.

Did you buy the car that way? It could be that your catalytic converter or 1 of 4 o2 sensors is bad.
Get it checked out, cus you gas mileage will drop dramatically.

Best of luck

EDIT: Just saw your other thread about you getting a short ram intake. The lights on the dash is caused by your aftermarket intake. You can switch it back to stock to see if the lights turn off. If so, then you will need to get a
SAFC-II to control your A/F ratio. If you dont want to get a SAFC-II, then buy an intake heat shield to block air to the intake. It could be that your MAF sensor is reading to much air. Causing your CEL/trac light to come on and flash. Our ECUs are tempermental, and if you dont control the signal to your ECU. You will have more problems than just a couple of lights.

Last edited by IS3_FTW; 11-12-10 at 10:04 PM.
Old 11-13-10, 04:38 PM
Pat5HKU19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Apex84
Have you put on a new intake or headers? The flashing means your car is in limp mode.
YEAAA i actually just put on a short RAM air intake. I drove around for a good 10 days before the light came on.... Should I take the intake off or maybe unscrew the sensor then put it back on?? is the check engine light possibly cuz of the same thing ? thanks i appreciate it
Old 11-14-10, 02:45 PM
flavs23
Rookie

pull the codes would b a good place to start. p0171 is a lean code prob to much oil on your air filter and damaged the MAF. flashing trac light is prob a totally different problem. take it to an autozone where they will pull codes for free and go from there.
Old 11-14-10, 03:10 PM
Pat5HKU19
Driver School Candidate

Ok so my stock intake is back. I turned my car n still the engine light is on with a flashing trac light. I turned it off then on again and gave it some gas n nothing changed. Im about to cruise to autozone and c what happens. Any ideas ??
Old 11-14-10, 03:13 PM
flavs23
Rookie

if there is a code there its stored in your ecu. u have to clear it with a scan tool, it wont clear by turning the car off. and ya let us know what code or codes you got.
Old 11-14-10, 03:56 PM
Pat5HKU19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flavs23
if there is a code there its stored in your ecu. u have to clear it with a scan tool, it wont clear by turning the car off. and ya let us know what code or codes you got.
I actually just disconnected my battery, let it sit for a second, then plugged it back in and turned the car on. OFF with the lights but the ****ty part is i have my stock intake on lol. Im thinking of trying the whole battery thing with my aftermarket intake on IF the lights happen to come back on. Do you think that is a good idea or should i stop trying to mess with this cheap intake ??
Old 11-14-10, 04:04 PM
Pat5HKU19
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
^^^^Agreed.

Did you buy the car that way? It could be that your catalytic converter or 1 of 4 o2 sensors is bad.
Get it checked out, cus you gas mileage will drop dramatically.

Best of luck

EDIT: Just saw your other thread about you getting a short ram intake. The lights on the dash is caused by your aftermarket intake. You can switch it back to stock to see if the lights turn off. If so, then you will need to get a
SAFC-II to control your A/F ratio. If you dont want to get a SAFC-II, then buy an intake heat shield to block air to the intake. It could be that your MAF sensor is reading to much air. Causing your CEL/trac light to come on and flash. Our ECUs are tempermental, and if you dont control the signal to your ECU. You will have more problems than just a couple of lights.
yaa so i just put my stock intake back on then unplugged the battery then plugged it back in. When i turned the car on the lights were gone.I drove around for almost 2 weeks with the aftermarket intake on before the lights came on....Do you think it would be a good idea to put the intake back on and try to do the whole battery thing in the case that the lights do come on again ?
Old 11-14-10, 05:47 PM
flavs23
Rookie

ya disconnecting the battery resets the ecu. u will prob have to re-initialize ur auto window and sun roof function. but did u ever get any codes out of it?
Old 11-14-10, 06:32 PM
Pat5HKU19
Driver School Candidate

ya disconnecting the battery resets the ecu. u will prob have to re-initialize ur auto window and sun roof function. but did u ever get any codes out of it?
No, i didnt I actually fixed the problem in my garage. But if i put the intake back on and the same thing happens, I will take it somewhere n have it checked out n let you know for sure ...
Old 11-14-10, 10:18 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

When you disconnect the battery, you do not have to re-initialize your auto windows or sunroof. Whats the reason for you having to re-initialize your auto windows and sunroof functions, also, do you have an IS300??

The only thing you have to re-initialize is the clock and presets on your radio.

Originally Posted by Pat5HKU19
yaa so i just put my stock intake back on then unplugged the battery then plugged it back in. When i turned the car on the lights were gone.I drove around for almost 2 weeks with the aftermarket intake on before the lights came on....Do you think it would be a good idea to put the intake back on and try to do the whole battery thing in the case that the lights do come on again ?
If your Lights come back on, after installing the aftermarket intake, I would first go the cheap route and see if there is a heatshield of some sort. Here, try looking at this site... www.swiftracing.com Look at IS300 intakes and see the heat shield that I am talking about. If that doesnt work, then you will need to by a SAFC 2 as your piggyback. You will be able to control your A/F(air/fuel) ratio and get the ECU/trac light turned off.

By resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery for 15mins, will only tempararily turn it off, but will come right back. Auto parts store will not know how to fix it, thats why we are here to help you threw situations like this.
Old 11-15-10, 01:08 PM
Henry415
Driver

Hey i had the same problem. I put my injen intake in for about 2 weeks and the check engine light and trac kept blinking. Its just your intake because of the maf sensor thats all. Keep your after market intake in but take the sensor from your stock intake and hook it up to your after market intake and reset your battery and that should be it. Sorry im not more detailed cause my friend helped me. But yeah you have nothing major to worry about
Old 11-15-10, 01:44 PM
flavs23
Rookie

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
When you disconnect the battery, you do not have to re-initialize your auto windows or sunroof. Whats the reason for you having to re-initialize your auto windows and sunroof functions, also, do you have an IS300??

The only thing you have to re-initialize is the clock and presets on your radio.

If your Lights come back on, after installing the aftermarket intake, I would first go the cheap route and see if there is a heatshield of some sort. Here, try looking at this site... www.swiftracing.com Look at IS300 intakes and see the heat shield that I am talking about. If that doesnt work, then you will need to by a SAFC 2 as your piggyback. You will be able to control your A/F(air/fuel) ratio and get the ECU/trac light turned off.

By resetting the ECU by unplugging the battery for 15mins, will only tempararily turn it off, but will come right back. Auto parts store will not know how to fix it, thats why we are here to help you threw situations like this.
actually i do own an is300, but if u reset ur ecu (disconnect the battery) sometimes ur auto fuction on the driver window and sun roof wont work. but i do agree with the safc. take a look into the apex-i afc neo.
Old 11-15-10, 04:38 PM
LILDANTE79
Lexus Test Driver

This happen to me on the freeway.. I had really bad tires on the way to get new 1s it would give me bad vibration. It started flashing along with check VSC and it wouldn't shift it had to be done manually. So I pulled over and my intake sensor was loose it had came off. So I had tools I unplug the ground on my battery and re installed the sensor and tighten it down real good. Turned car back on and it never did it again.

Quick Reply: "Trac Off" button flashing on and off