IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

unknown problem(s) with my IS300. (Searched and no answers)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-10, 02:29 PM
slipnslide
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Resolved

identified, and resolved.

Last edited by slipnslide; 04-16-11 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Resolved
Old 10-21-10, 08:33 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

sounds like a bad ECU
Old 10-22-10, 07:12 AM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cleaning and reinstalling the ABS sensor isnt always the fix. Sometimes you actually have a bad sensor and have to replace it. Had that happen on a Corvette I used to have and it had similar issues where i was told to clean and replace wheel speed sensoors and I ended up having to buy two new ones.

Also follow the wiring coming off the wheel speed sensors. sometimes one of those wires gets frayed or broken and shorts out.

ECU could be bad as well. or theres a wiring issue(which i hope isnt the problem)
Old 10-22-10, 07:13 PM
slipnslide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slidingIS
Cleaning and reinstalling the ABS sensor isnt always the fix. Sometimes you actually have a bad sensor and have to replace it. Had that happen on a Corvette I used to have and it had similar issues where i was told to clean and replace wheel speed sensoors and I ended up having to buy two new ones.

Also follow the wiring coming off the wheel speed sensors. sometimes one of those wires gets frayed or broken and shorts out.

ECU could be bad as well. or theres a wiring issue(which i hope isnt the problem)
During my research I found out that the best way to figure out if i have a bad wheel speed sensor is to perform a continuity test. That's something Im not familiar with and do not have the proper tools. I got a quote from a local shop and was told that its a very timely task..

any suggestions?

and BTW, this might help, but previously i had an incident of blowing my main fuse due to hooking up a battery the wrong way I replaced the fuse and everything was fine. the issues did not occur until almost a year later.
Old 10-22-10, 08:58 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 335 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
sounds like a bad ECU
plus juan.
Old 10-22-10, 11:39 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by slipnslide
any suggestions?

and BTW, this might help, but previously i had an incident of blowing my main fuse due to hooking up a battery the wrong way I replaced the fuse and everything was fine. the issues did not occur until almost a year later.
Uh, damn bro...Might need to get a diagnostic test threw Lexus. To make sure your dont spend money on something thats not broken.
Even tho, it took a yr for the problem occurred. You probably fried something, and it eventually broke
Old 10-23-10, 06:20 PM
slipnslide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS3_FTW
Uh, damn bro...Might need to get a diagnostic test threw Lexus. To make sure your dont spend money on something thats not broken.
Even tho, it took a yr for the problem occurred. You probably fried something, and it eventually broke
i tried. brought it to lexus of las vegas, they charged me $65 to tell me that my computer plug is not reading. then they want $250 to diagnose whats wrong with my car. not trying to be cheap, but i rather spend some extra time trying to figure it out myself then spend $250 just for them to tell me what's wrong with my car.
Old 10-23-10, 06:56 PM
ais300c
Pole Position

Dude i feel for you, but in all honesty something like that is meant for the pros ( I work in a shop and believe me its the best way sometimes) its hard when diag comes into the picture but I would find like an outside place that deals only in toyota like where im at in fl i have the toy house that if I dont know I take it there they are awesome ( I know it sounds like a sex shop lol )
Old 10-23-10, 07:26 PM
flavs23
Rookie

i tried. brought it to lexus of las vegas, they charged me $65 to tell me that my computer plug is not reading. then they want $250 to diagnose whats wrong with my car. not trying to be cheap, but i rather spend some extra time trying to figure it out myself then spend $250 just for them to tell me what's wrong with my car.
ya whenever you cant connect with the obd2 plug usually means ecu problems. im a tech at toyota and that happens there are so many tests we have to do to figure out whats goin on and why. if your ac stops blowing id say hit ur blower motor and it will prob start working again but you say it only happens when ur trac light is on then im not sure. id deff start with that obd2 connector, once you got that then being able to look at data lists will be way helpful towards ur other concerns.
Old 10-23-10, 07:37 PM
flavs23
Rookie

but u say it happens after u hit bumps. car been in any sort of accident? or u got pack rats? they can chew on the wiring and cause lots of funny stuff. in the end id pay the 250 and that way whatever they find wrong and fix it will be under warranty through toyota.
Old 10-23-10, 10:44 PM
slipnslide
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ais300c
Dude i feel for you, but in all honesty something like that is meant for the pros ( I work in a shop and believe me its the best way sometimes) its hard when diag comes into the picture but I would find like an outside place that deals only in toyota like where im at in fl i have the toy house that if I dont know I take it there they are awesome ( I know it sounds like a sex shop lol )
i have the "toy house" here in vegas as well. but even they recommended me to take it to lexus

Originally Posted by flavs23
ya whenever you cant connect with the obd2 plug usually means ecu problems. im a tech at toyota and that happens there are so many tests we have to do to figure out whats goin on and why. if your ac stops blowing id say hit ur blower motor and it will prob start working again but you say it only happens when ur trac light is on then im not sure. id deff start with that obd2 connector, once you got that then being able to look at data lists will be way helpful towards ur other concerns.
if i was to do it in my own garage, what or where do i start to begin with diagnosing my obd2 connector?

Originally Posted by flavs23
but u say it happens after u hit bumps. car been in any sort of accident? or u got pack rats? they can chew on the wiring and cause lots of funny stuff. in the end id pay the 250 and that way whatever they find wrong and fix it will be under warranty through toyota.
ON POINT. i also forgot to mention that i got into a minor wreck. i hit a BIG rock (usually placed in people's front yards as a decor) the result was a cracked front bumper and a bent chassis. the chassis was pulled straight by a professional body shop, and then after another body shop did the paint. and while they did the paint, they pressure washed my engine bay and accidentally got water in my engine (coil pack, spark plugs were wet)... this all happened within a year i believe. one of the worst year my lexus has ever gone through.
Old 10-24-10, 07:56 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

During my research I found out that the best way to figure out if i have a bad wheel speed sensor is to perform a continuity test. That's something Im not familiar with and do not have the proper tools. I got a quote from a local shop and was told that its a very timely task..

any suggestions?

If you hooked the battery up wrong I can about guarantee you that you have a bad ECU
Old 10-24-10, 09:29 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Sounds like an expensive mistake on the battery cables.

I would spend the money to get it fixed threw lexus. Get a credit card, if you dont have the cash.
Good luck with your issue. Hopefully it works out in the end
Old 10-25-10, 11:20 AM
noe1998
Rookie

that's Lexus ya it cost alot but worth it
Old 10-25-10, 11:36 AM
Rory
Driver School Candidate

Moisture in the fuse boxes?

Quick Reply: unknown problem(s) with my IS300. (Searched and no answers)