IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

2002 IS300 questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-10, 07:26 PM
darksyde
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 IS300 questions

hey all does any1 know what the gears r in the rear end of these things and how much they can handle?? and how can i make it a true posi?? i have an LS1 motor in my IS300 and was just 1ndering how much power these things can handle? also where can i get heavier duty axles?? also what is the widest tire and rim combo can i fit under the back of it and also the front???`
Old 09-11-10, 09:09 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

you can get a lsd differential
Old 09-11-10, 09:11 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I have 19x8.5 rims in the front and rear
I had my fenders pulled a little to make it work.
My fenders in the rear are pulled a little too much so I need spacers in the rear.
Front fenders aren't pulled enough so when I make sharp turns I rub the fenders.

I have seen people fit 19x11 in the rear but you would need major fender work.

I have also seen lots of people put 20" wheels on their IS300
It works but I think 18" and 19" is the best look/fit for this car...

Tire size really just depends on how low your car is.
If you are stock height (aka 4x4 status ) you can get a way with having a bigger tire.

Me I have 225/35zr19 and I'm lowered about 2.5 inches, and I am going lower..................... watch out!

Last edited by llllllllll; 09-11-10 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-11-10, 12:01 PM
darksyde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llllllllll
you can get a lsd differential
dont these is300's already have an lsd in them?? i want to make it a true posi rear end is that possible?
Old 09-11-10, 12:04 PM
darksyde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by llllllllll
I have 19x8.5 rims in the front and rear
I had my fenders pulled a little to make it work.
My fenders in the rear are pulled a little too much so I need spacers in the rear.
Front fenders aren't pulled enough so when I make sharp turns I rub the fenders.

I have seen people fit 19x11 in the rear but you would need major fender work.

I have also seen lots of people put 20" wheels on their IS300
It works but I think 18" and 19" is the best look/fit for this car...

Tire size really just depends on how low your car is.
If you are stock height (aka 4x4 status ) you can get a way with having a bigger tire.

Me I have 225/35zr19 and I'm lowered about 2.5 inches, and I am going lower..................... watch out!
well right now i am 4bying it but i have springs and lowering shocks on the way! i wish i could do coilovers but finances r low what with the recent LS1 swap so coilovers will wait and i want to run 285/295 on the back if i can 19 or 18x11 would be sick w about a 8.5 or 9 on the front i want to corner real good
Old 09-11-10, 10:21 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by darksyde
dont these is300's already have an lsd in them?? i want to make it a true posi rear end is that possible?
you can get a clutch type diff for it. you can make a supra diff work too.Those will be your best options to handle the power you wanna put in it. I think to get some type of posi unit some serious mods might be in line. I had 9.5 inch wheels in the rear with just a fender roll saves alot of time and trouble.
Old 09-12-10, 11:39 AM
darksyde
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by slidingIS
you can get a clutch type diff for it. you can make a supra diff work too.Those will be your best options to handle the power you wanna put in it. I think to get some type of posi unit some serious mods might be in line. I had 9.5 inch wheels in the rear with just a fender roll saves alot of time and trouble.
how much work does it take to put a supra diff in this thing? you were running 9.5 on the rear but with what size tire?
Old 09-13-10, 05:10 AM
UNOHOO

im running 19 x 8.5 all the way around as well but im stock height, had to roll the rear fenders cause i would rub when i would hit a pocket on the highway that would cause the rear to sink....or if i had people in the car lol, i plan on getting the s tech springs so im not sure what im going to be looking at once i do that drop
Old 09-13-10, 06:15 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

hey all does any1 know what the gears r in the rear end of these things and how much they can handle?? and how can i make it a true posi?? i have an LS1 motor in my IS300 and was just 1ndering how much power these things can handle? also where can i get heavier duty axles?? also what is the widest tire and rim combo can i fit under the back of it and also the front???`
  • what are your power goals? determine your goals first then look around at some of the members who have reached those same numbers.
  • you dont need stronger axles. stock axles will hold
  • widest rim/tire ive seen has to be TeckIS member on MY.IS hes running 18x9 +38 255 tire and 18x10.5+48 265 tire. withthat same set up you should be able to run a 285 tire should work with some fender rolling.
Old 09-13-10, 06:18 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

not all IS300s come with LSD. there is a sticker in the door that will give you a code to determine

more info here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s300-help.html
Old 09-13-10, 08:23 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by baadhabit
not all IS300s come with LSD. there is a sticker in the door that will give you a code to determine

more info here
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...s300-help.html

Do you think an IS300 LSD would be good for him?
With a LS1 do you think a supra dif would handle the power better?
I don't really know that much about this, just curious
Old 09-13-10, 09:36 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Well I would need to know power goals first. Stock LSx motor is less than 400hp. Lots of guys myself included are running that with boost on stock LSD without issue
Old 09-13-10, 06:03 PM
darksyde
Driver School Candidate

thanx for the info guys and i looked at that code on the door and CRAP no lsd and my power goals are 550-600 at the crank so i might have to go with a kaaz or maybe a supra but probably a kaaz when i get some extra mula!!
Old 09-14-10, 04:53 AM
UNOHOO

you should check the code on the actual diff itself in case it was ever changed out, i dont recall which code is which but a search on here should be able to tell you
Old 09-14-10, 11:22 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

how much work does it take to put a supra diff in this thing? you were running 9.5 on the rear but with what size tire?
Supra diff isnt a bad swap. its expensive to buy and its still just a supra diff. They are a better LSD by all means but kaaz is your best route. I had 20x9.5 +20 offset (low) and 275 45s on the rear

Quick Reply: 2002 IS300 questions