IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Tire balancing question ?

Old 09-06-10, 07:22 PM
voleduy
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Tire balancing question ?

Hello all,

Im having a problem when my IS has a speed of 55mph, the steering wheel starts shaking up. But if the speed is over or lower than 55mph, than it would be no problem. Is it a tire balacing problem or something else???
Old 09-06-10, 07:34 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Tire Balance
Tire Bubble (need to get a new tire)
Alignment
Bent Rim
Warped Rotors

any of those could be the culprit
Old 09-06-10, 07:58 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

agree^ i once had that problem on my 04 is300, but it was at 60 mph, but never found out what it was because i only had it 2 months before i let a former friend drive it and he totaled it. but as he said it is one of those problems, or something in the steering/suspension bent
Old 09-07-10, 12:29 AM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats true could be the driveshaft balancing problem.. very unlikely though.. llllllll said it best
Old 09-07-10, 02:27 AM
mou
Pole Position

I had the same thing happen to me earlier. Drove 70mph, hit a bad area on the highway, and steering wheel went crazy for about 3 seconds. Luckily there were no cars near me
Old 09-07-10, 04:46 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by voleduy
Hello all,

Im having a problem when my IS has a speed of 55mph, the steering wheel starts shaking up. But if the speed is over or lower than 55mph, than it would be no problem. Is it a tire balacing problem or something else???
i have the exact same thing going on, i narrowed it down to two rims by switching from front to back, im going to get them balanced again and see if that works then if not im going to do an alignment and finally if that doesnt work new tires

good luck man
Old 09-07-10, 08:09 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
i have the exact same thing going on, i narrowed it down to two rims by switching from front to back, im going to get them balanced again and see if that works then if not im going to do an alignment and finally if that doesnt work new tires

good luck man

That's a good way to figure out the problem.

If you have extra wheels or a spare tire, try switching out suspected wheel and see if the problem still exists. If the problem still exists with different wheels on then the problem is not wheel/tire related.
Old 09-07-10, 09:45 PM
voleduy
Pole Position

I will try this weekend and post it up if found out a problem.
Old 09-07-10, 10:27 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slidingIS
thats true could be the driveshaft balancing problem.. very unlikely though.. llllllll said it best
could be u-joints in the driveshaft, but more than likely not. if it were that it wouldnt really vibrate like that.
Old 09-08-10, 12:25 PM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by 03LexIS300
could be u-joints in the driveshaft, but more than likely not. if it were that it wouldnt really vibrate like that.
you would feel it in the shifter too wouldnt you?
Old 09-08-10, 08:22 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by UNOHOO
you would feel it in the shifter too wouldnt you?
yea you should be able to, it would be more of a clunking noise coming from that area in on the floor
Old 09-08-10, 08:39 PM
hlu1
Rookie

The Day When I bought my used IS300, the car started to shake around 50mph-65mph. It turned out that the right suspension was screwed, needed to change the upper control arm and hub and bearing. Bad wheel alignment and a warped rotor.

Cost me alot to fix the problem.

My suggestion is do a wheel alignment.
Old 09-08-10, 08:45 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hlu1
The Day When I bought my used IS300, the car started to shake around 50mph-65mph. It turned out that the right suspension was screwed, needed to change the upper control arm and hub and bearing. Bad wheel alignment and a warped rotor.

Cost me alot to fix the problem.

My suggestion is do a wheel alignment.
was it in some sort of collision on the right side?
Old 09-08-10, 08:53 PM
hlu1
Rookie

Yea.
The first owner had two accidents. (female by the way -_-)
First accident was she hit something or another car on the left. The left side suspension was fix and all.

Second accident was she hit the curb real hard on the right side. I think she lost control in the snow or rain or something. She took it to fix the right side, but the mechanic only did a half *** job. She didnt know about the problem.

So I bought the car last year for cheap since I knew her. I bought the car at 34,000 miles for $5000!!! She didnt drive that much cause of the problem and her husband had another car. But I spent roughly $2500 or more to fix, since i need new rotors, brake pads, fix the right side suspension, new tires since the front side inner tire were balled out but the rest of the tire was good.

It was a great deal!
Old 09-08-10, 08:56 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by hlu1
Yea.
The first owner had two accidents. (female by the way -_-)
First accident was she hit something or another car on the left. The left side suspension was fix and all.

Second accident was she hit the curb real hard on the right side. I think she lost control in the snow or rain or something. She took it to fix the right side, but the mechanic only did a half *** job. She didnt know about the problem.

So I bought the car for cheap since I knew her. I bought the car at 34,000 miles for $5000!!! But I spent roughly $2500 to fix, since i need new rotors, brake pads, fix the right side suspension, new tires since the front side inner tire were balled out but the rest of the tire was good.

It was a great deal!
still sounds like a steal even after all of the work you had to do, with that low of miles that was an awesome deal!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire balancing question ?