IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

key locked up

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-10, 08:19 AM
oohay32408
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default key locked up

when my wife got home last night she could not get the key out of the ignition. it is stuck on acc. it will not go to lock or go to start it. the radio come s on still. i unplugged the battery. i barely could get the key out . what do i have to do to get the cylinder out. is it possible to do it at home and replace it with another one?
Old 09-03-10, 08:46 AM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by oohay32408
when my wife got home last night she could not get the key out of the ignition. it is stuck on acc. it will not go to lock or go to start it. the radio come s on still. i unplugged the battery. i barely could get the key out . what do i have to do to get the cylinder out. is it possible to do it at home and replace it with another one?
you can call lexus and give them your vin number and order a new cylinder, but im am not 100% on how the lexus cylinders come out, but most cars the key needs to be in the cylinder and turned to the acc position before you can depress the plunger on the side of the cylinder to pop it out, but as i said the lexus might worrk differently. i would give lexus a call and see if they can tell you how to do it. and as far as accessing the cylinder, all you have to do is take the cover off the goes over your guage cluster and unhook the dimmer contol switch.
Old 09-03-10, 10:29 AM
oohay32408
Driver School Candidate

just bought a new cylinder with key. 120 bucks delivered from lexus. toyota 30 miles away said they will instal for 100 and program key for 60. a tow to toyota will probably be about 50 bucks. 300 plus bucks. yahoo
Old 09-03-10, 09:24 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

just bought a new cylinder with key. 120 bucks delivered from lexus. toyota 30 miles away said they will instal for 100 and program key for 60. a tow to toyota will probably be about 50 bucks. 300 plus bucks. yahoo
sounds like a soundproof plan, sounds like a very good deal considering its a lexus not a honda lol
Old 09-04-10, 11:42 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

program it? your old key can be taken apart and the buttons with unlock lock etc. comes out so it shouldnt need any programming. i just ordered a key offline for mine and had it laser cut for $30 and reused my old buttons. sounds like a rip off on the programming
Old 09-05-10, 09:14 AM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slidingIS
program it? your old key can be taken apart and the buttons with unlock lock etc. comes out so it shouldnt need any programming. i just ordered a key offline for mine and had it laser cut for $30 and reused my old buttons. sounds like a rip off on the programming
agree on that, i bought a new key shell for mine because when i bought my is300 it had one new lexus key and another old one that was broken in 2. got it laser cut for 40 and new battery in the remote and swapped the remote over and it works just as good as any. the chip in the transponder remote is what the dealership is refering to, and since it is your old buttons and stuff its already programmed to your car, and if you gave them your vin the key should already be laser cut too.
Old 09-05-10, 02:03 PM
slidingIS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^true but seeing as he still has his old key getting a new lock cylinder shouldnt cause the need to get a new transponder and then have it programmed on top of that
Old 09-05-10, 09:22 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by slidingIS
^true but seeing as he still has his old key getting a new lock cylinder shouldnt cause the need to get a new transponder and then have it programmed on top of that
yep precisely
Old 09-08-10, 07:57 PM
oohay32408
Driver School Candidate

how hard is it to get the old cylinder out? i have a locksmith coming to my house tomorrow. he says he has to drill it out to get it out. 75 to replace cylinder, 75 to come to my house. cylinder cost me 120 delivered from lexus
Old 09-08-10, 08:42 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

how hard is it to get the old cylinder out? i have a locksmith coming to my house tomorrow. he says he has to drill it out to get it out. 75 to replace cylinder, 75 to come to my house. cylinder cost me 120 delivered from lexus
im not 100% sure on this, but just me judging from previous vehicles i have worked on, your cylinder needs to be in the "acc" position or the "on" position and there should be some kind of plunger on the lock cylinder that you push in and it should pop right out. however if you cannot put your key in or turn the cylinder at all it will need to be drilled out.
Old 09-13-10, 02:35 PM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

you ordered a new ignition cylinder? are you using the same key you had before??

If its a brand new key, the cylinders for the door and trunk won't match.
Old 09-13-10, 09:04 PM
03LexIS300
Lead Lap

i believe he ordered a new cylinder, but gave lexus his VIN number so the ignition is made the same as the old one to accept the same key. i think he got another key because i dont think you can order this assembly without a new key or maybe he broke his, not sure
Old 09-14-10, 07:16 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Where did you guys get your replacement lexus keys?
Where did you take them to get laser cut?

I need to get some backup keys made.
Old 09-14-10, 09:43 AM
voleduy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by llllllllll

I dont know, most of people head up to dealer... But I know that there are some guys driving trucks around make keys for some local shops.
Old 09-14-10, 12:19 PM
chunktwo
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by llllllllll

i bought a key from my.is. i thought it was an OEM key. I am still not sure cause of the way it looked/felt.

I heard that some ebay keys have steel in them and that locksmiths won't cut it. After reading that i took a magnet to it and sure enough it didn't stick. The locksmith did the same test and confirmed there was not steal in it before cutting it.

Found a local locksmith (specialty in locks/keys) to get it cut and the key works like a charm. Cost $10 for the key shell and $23 to get it cut.

it was cheaper then getting it from the sewell online site which was $75 or so for just the key shell and have it cut.

the back of this key looks nothing like the two i originally had. the plastic is also not as "smooth" and it looks/feels more textured. So i was suspicious if its an OEM key. but in any event the transponder fit just fine and key works on the door, ignition and trunk.
Attached Thumbnails key locked up-img00184-20100914-1521.jpg  

Last edited by chunktwo; 09-14-10 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: key locked up