IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

tire sizes for is300

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-10, 11:32 AM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tire sizes for is300

I just bought a is300 not too long ago. Didnt know too much about IS300s it was a impulse buy. I was gettin the sizes of tires today and i noticed all my tires were the same size. i think i read somewhere that rear tires should be lil bigger than the fronts. Will this cause any problems having all the tires the same size . I would check my manual to see what size tire they recommend but this car didnt come with a manual. If i wanted to stick with 19s what should the tire specs for for the front and the rear. Also there is a big gap in the back and i wanted to know would bigger tires help fill in that gap a little. heres a couple pics to show it
Attached Thumbnails tire sizes for is300-img5fdc0022.jpg   tire sizes for is300-caronslope.jpg  
Old 06-22-10, 12:50 PM
Lexy602
Pole Position

if the rims are the same size u shouldn't have to get bigger tires.. u can lower your car by buying coil over. This will fill in the gap.... can i see a pix of your back tail light?
Old 06-22-10, 01:18 PM
dustinbray
Driver

A bigger tire in the back will fill the back. Is it just the angle of the car, but the fronts look bigger than the back. And yes please let's see some pics of the tail lights. You should drop that thing. Coilovers will do the job
Old 06-23-10, 12:43 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say 215/35/19, which is close to the diameter of the original tires. I'll let those on 19s chime in with their tire sizes.

Lowering springs or coilovers to lessen the gap.
Old 06-23-10, 12:51 AM
VIPJOSH
Lead Lap

+1 for coilovers

n i think ur talking about staggered wheels. the purpose of staggered wheels is just so u can have more grip n the back while letting u still turn fine in front. not needed if ur car is not turbo but does look good having wide wheels imo.
Old 06-23-10, 12:42 PM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

Originally Posted by dustinbray
A bigger tire in the back will fill the back. Is it just the angle of the car, but the fronts look bigger than the back. And yes please let's see some pics of the tail lights. You should drop that thing. Coilovers will do the job

i did notice that too. that the tires in the front look bigger even in person. I do want to drop it but not too much in fear it would brush up against my driveway. Are coils the same as springs?
Old 06-23-10, 12:47 PM
dustinbray
Driver

Originally Posted by LexiSoSexi
i did notice that too. that the tires in the front look bigger even in person. I do want to drop it but not too much in fear it would brush up against my driveway. Are coils the same as springs?
Coils are different from springs in the fact that coils are adjustable while springs are set height. If the front is bigger, put it on the back... That might solve your problem... Not to insult you or anything.
Old 06-23-10, 12:48 PM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

thanks guys ill get a booty shot later
Old 06-23-10, 12:56 PM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

Coils are different from springs in the fact that coils are adjustable while springs are set height. If the front is bigger, put it on the back... That might solve your problem... Not to insult you or anything.

i admittedly know nothing about cars so its all good. The fronts and backs are the same size. i think the backs only look bigger because of the gap. wish i could stretch out the fender im thinkin about getting larger size tire in the back for the 19s to help fill the gap. Any recommended sizes? whats the highest i can go for the backs. if that doesnt lessen the gap i might have to look into coils or springs.
Old 06-23-10, 01:47 PM
dustinbray
Driver

i admittedly know nothing about cars so its all good. The fronts and backs are the same size. i think the backs only look bigger because of the gap. wish i could stretch out the fender im thinkin about getting larger size tire in the back for the 19s to help fill the gap. Any recommended sizes? whats the highest i can go for the backs. if that doesnt lessen the gap i might have to look into coils or springs.
Id just get some springs and save some money. Eibach is the way to go. Go to tire rack.com and check it out. P.s if you wanna sell them wheels, keep me in mind please. Post up some pics when you can. Also, idf you don't wanna lower it, get a bigger tire on they rim. That's what I did with the stocks and it filled out nice. They come stock with 215s and I threw some 235s on there. I'm just waiting on my springs and I'll be lookin nice. Good luck bro
Old 06-24-10, 06:04 AM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

Baby got back
Attached Thumbnails tire sizes for is300-bootyshot.jpg  
Old 06-24-10, 06:48 AM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

Id just get some springs and save some money. Eibach is the way to go. Go to tire rack.com and check it out. P.s if you wanna sell them wheels, keep me in mind please. Post up some pics when you can. Also, idf you don't wanna lower it, get a bigger tire on they rim. That's what I did with the stocks and it filled out nice. They come stock with 215s and I threw some 235s on there. I'm just waiting on my springs and I'll be lookin nice. Good luck bro

i am sellin these rims and getting black rims with chrome rip. ill def keep u in mind but not sure how i can ship rims. my tire specs now are 225/35-19. i wanted to do the backs 225/ 40 /19. would the 40 help fill the gap a little?
Old 06-24-10, 06:56 AM
LexiSoSexi
Rookie

black rims i might be gettin.
Attached Thumbnails tire sizes for is300-blackcirclerims.jpg  
Old 06-24-10, 09:46 AM
dsp979
Lead Lap

i am sellin these rims and getting black rims with chrome rip. ill def keep u in mind but not sure how i can ship rims. my tire specs now are 225/35-19. i wanted to do the backs 225/ 40 /19. would the 40 help fill the gap a little?
a 40 series tire will be too tall for the car.

Here's a tire calculator for you. Fill in stock size, and then the size tires you want.

http://www.americastire.com/dtcs/infoTireMath.dos

Lets make this your baseline: 215/45/17s, your speed is 65 mph

If you're on:

225/35 series on 19s, speed is: 66.xx mph

225/40 series on 19s, speed is 68.88 mph

You're throwing off your speedometer, as well as the mileage on the car.

Better to lower it with springs or coils to lessen the gap. Hope this helps.

Last edited by dsp979; 06-24-10 at 10:31 PM.
Old 06-24-10, 07:44 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I have 3 different sets of 19"s.

One set has 215/35zr19, I rarely wear these wheels because they are my most expensive & the tires are like rubberbands.. They are stretched on my 19x9 work VS-XX.. Any pothole will send me to the rim shop instantly..

One set is running 225/35zr19. This is a good fit, but a little thin if the roads in your area are anything like here in philly....

My other set has 235/35zr19 This is a good fit even for less than desireable roads, don't get me wrong though, doesn't mean you can just run through potholes like they are nothing... Just softens the blow a little more (i think at least)... And I have 245/35zr19 for my back tires for this same set of rims, but they are too big for my car and they rub everywhere because I'm slammed on coils, for stock height you should be alright.

Last edited by llllllllll; 06-24-10 at 08:04 PM.

Quick Reply: tire sizes for is300