IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS300 Won't Start!

Old 03-16-10, 04:36 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts
Default IS300 Won't Start!

Today when we went to start the IS, the car initially fired, but then died as quickly as it started. Now it just turns over, but doesn't fire at all. Either no spark of fuel would be my guess.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 03-16-10, 05:39 PM
drksyde
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you wash or rinse out your engine bay recently? It happened to me before and it some how caused a short circuit somewhere. Did you change sparkplugs or anything like that recently also?
Old 03-16-10, 05:51 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Received 122 Likes on 112 Posts

Was the car sitting for a long time?
Old 03-16-10, 11:37 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by drksyde
did you wash or rinse out your engine bay recently? It happened to me before and it some how caused a short circuit somewhere. Did you change sparkplugs or anything like that recently also?

Nope. Thanks for the reply. Keep em coming!
Old 03-16-10, 11:38 PM
RRocket
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nad1370
Was the car sitting for a long time?

I suppose you need to define "long time". About a week. This is often the case. We use our "beater" cars during the week and take out our nice cars on the weekend.

Why?
Old 03-17-10, 12:02 AM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RRocket
I suppose you need to define "long time". About a week. This is often the case. We use our "beater" cars during the week and take out our nice cars on the weekend.

Why?

It's possible it's flooded.
Here's what I want you to do.

1. Step on the gas pedal all the way to the floor.
2. Turn the key to crank the motor.
3. Keep cranking till you "feel" it's going to start. Sometimes pumping the gas pedal if it wants to start helps.
4 If it starts, just "blip" the throttle to rev the motor to dry out the plugs.
Old 03-20-10, 01:27 AM
Grazy
Driver

if it do alot of sleeping. maybe its the battery. My car mostly slept through the winter time. Had hard time turning it on, until today i bought a battery and now its turned on fine.
Old 03-20-10, 03:08 PM
superduner
Driver School Candidate

3. Keep cranking till you "feel" it's going to start. Sometimes pumping the gas pedal if it wants to start helps.
I get what youre trying to get at and sounds like a good idea. however as far as i know these cars are not carburaters so stepping on the "air" pedal wont make a difference since injectors squirt the same ammount of fuel on start up. once the car is ignited steping on the air pedal will cause the car to squirt more gas since sucking more AIR.

IF the car is flooded. i would remove the sparkplugs and let the fuel evaporate by letting it sit there for some time. while you're at it check your sparkplugs and do some tests to make sure there even IS spark on each plug
(you will need a friend to help u crank the car... Or u can put the key on IGN and crank the car yourself from the starter ( not a wise idea if you've never done that before) haha *works on my 240z*

if its not floodedand there is spark then take off the MAIN fuel deed hose coming from the fuel filter into the fuel rail. once removed from the fuel rail insert the end of the hose into an empty see through 2L soda bottle, crank the car. and see if gasoline is even being squirted into the bottle... PSI should be strong as well. . if pressure is not strong. clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump is the next step to check. if fuel is good and spark is good then you have an electrical problem somewhere.

hope i helped SOMEWHAt good luck
Old 03-20-10, 03:23 PM
superduner
Driver School Candidate

I get what youre trying to get at and sounds like a good idea. however as far as i know these cars are not carburaters so stepping on the "air" pedal wont make a difference since injectors squirt the same ammount of fuel on start up. once the car is ignited steping on the air pedal will cause the car to squirt more gas since sucking more AIR.

IF the car is flooded. i would remove the sparkplugs and let the fuel evaporate by letting it sit there for some time. while you're at it check your sparkplugs and do some tests to make sure there even IS spark on each plug
(you will need a friend to help u crank the car... Or u can put the key on IGN and crank the car yourself from the starter ( not a wise idea if you've never done that before) haha *works on my 240z*

if its not floodedand there is spark then take off the MAIN fuel deed hose coming from the fuel filter into the fuel rail. once removed from the fuel rail insert the end of the hose into an empty see through 2L soda bottle, crank the car. and see if gasoline is even being squirted into the bottle... PSI should be strong as well. . if pressure is not strong. clogged fuel filter or bad fuel pump is the next step to check. if fuel is good and spark is good then you have an electrical problem somewhere.

hope i helped SOMEWHAt good luck
Old 03-22-10, 04:29 PM
Nad1370
Lexus Test Driver

^^Hey SpeedFan...

LOL...carburators???
I suddenly remember my 81 Corolla SR5. That thing was a BEAST..lol

Yeah, I get what your saying also.
But reviewing a flooded scenario. Sure I know the injectors won't spray anymore as it's program at start up.
My thing is that if his combustion chamber already has too much fuel. Then it needs to match the amount of air coming in to actually give the plugs to ignite it.

X amount of fuel + x amount of air + spark = combustion
But if there is too much fuel and not enough air...No go.
By flooring the gas, the throttle plate is wide open giving it max air intake.

Plus this happened to my sisters BF's IS300(sat for a week) and walked him through it over the phone and she fired up.