IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

gonna go test drive is 300...what to look out for?

Old 05-28-09, 02:12 PM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Right on Don, thanks for taking the time to write all of that out. I definately have a better idea of what to look out for when i go tomorrow, thanks guys
Old 05-28-09, 06:13 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DonCorleone
Spark plugs depends if they're iridium or not. Changing them requires you unbolt the intake manifold so if the car is at or around 90k make sure those things are already addressed or they adjust the price accordingly.
Dam I never knew that, and I wanted to change my spark plugs too!!!
sheesh... now that I know what's all involved it sounds pretty expensive, guess I'll just wait till I need to change them....

o2 sensors, if they are sneaky they can reset the ecu to clear the codes but they will come back soon enough if these are bad... 70-100 to diy replace, there are 4 (2 precat 2 postcat) on the exhaust manifold and 1 under the car.
If I recall there are 3 on the hot side (all 3 can be seen by looking under the hood), and 1 post cat (under the car by passenger seat area).

Also make sure you get all the keys. 2 master, 1 valet and 1 credit card key.
Dam that sucks I was only given 1 key.... I know keys are probably like $100 or more to make....
Old 05-28-09, 06:18 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

$323 was the quote i got for another key. lol
Old 05-29-09, 07:37 AM
UNOHOO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by llllllllll
sheesh... now that I know what's all involved it sounds pretty expensive, guess I'll just wait till I need to change them....

If I recall there are 3 on the hot side (all 3 can be seen by looking under the hood), and 1 post cat (under the car by passenger seat area).

Dam that sucks I was only given 1 key.... I know keys are probably like $100 or more to make....
Yea before my mom sold me the RX300 she got a new key and she said it was about 300 bucks. I have seen links in the RX300 section to get cheaper prices on keys made.

Also im curious if its roughly the same issue with the spark plugs as it is with the RX300. Yea its a @#%$@ but i didnt have to remove the intake manifold. It was some serious arm stretching and working blind but I was able to do it.
Old 05-29-09, 09:37 AM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry that should have read; ubolt the throttle body from the intake manifold. some people have been able to just unbolt and pull apart, I took the throttle body completely off, cleaned it and cleaned the top of my valve cover as well. There will be oil down there, don't be alarmed, it's from spilling from filling during oil changes... well, it could be something else but more often than not, that's the culprit.
Edited my original post for clarification.
Also be aware the clips for the ignitor modules and all other plastic in area is heatsoaked and brittle. I used user Hiroshima's tutorial on IS300.net and made a replica of the unclipper tool he used and still managed to break most of the clips. So it'd be a good idea to get some spares of the clips that are on the spark plug wires, or new wires altogether (I think they come with them.)

If I recall there are 3 on the hot side (all 3 can be seen by looking under the hood), and 1 post cat (under the car by passenger seat area)..

clarified. typing too fast.

I heard more, but everything at the dealer costs more.
If you have an 02+ you can diy for a little cheaper, you can use ebay. Buy a used key and take the transponder (there are different types make sure you get the right one) then buy a cheap blank (get the right length), they are sent from Hong Kong iirc, they are pretty spot on for the Lexus key save for the FCCID sticker. Have the keyblade cut and install the transponder and reprogram it yourself. There are also "switchblade" type replacement housings that would work as well, you'd still need a transponder module. There's also vendors on ebay who will sell you the whole shebang and cut your key if you provide your vin.

Keys also have the issue of cracking or snapping at the base of the case, sure other Lexus keys have this issue as well, this can be prevented by holding the key at the center when cranking the car instead of the sides.