IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

OMG just bought my first IS300!!!! Soo excited!!!! =)

Old 02-12-09, 01:55 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OMG just bought my first IS300!!!! Soo excited!!!! =)

So yeah... I live in Philadelphia, and have recently sold my car because I've had it since new in 98. So I have been without a vehicle for about a week. True, living in center city a person doesn't really need a vehicle, but as a photographer I get called on to go to various locations, some near and some far. And taking public transportation with $10,000 worth of camera gear is quite nerve racking.

Anyways, so back to my story. I've been searching EVERYWHERE for an affordable IS - SC - GS with low miles (5spd preferable) (white preferable) and of course the car has to be within my budget. So I found a black 02 IS in Connecticut, and a white 01 IS in Rhode Island, and a ugly green 93 SC in New Jersey. Today (wednesday), actually it's thursday now, but yeah, wednesday is my only available day off until the busy weekend so I absolutely had to arrange to buy a vehicle today.

First I called the guy with the black 02 IS since it was my favorite, but it didn't work out and he already sold it.
Second I called the dealer with the white 01 IS since it was tied for favorite, and it is still available!!! Yay!

So my friend and I took the train up there to look at it. Guy advertised it as "FLAWLESS INTERIOR" - "RUNS PERFECTLY".... HAHAH! what a joke

Bonuses... not really but kinda
- has 18" rims with very low profile toyo tires
- lowered
- wired for amplifier
- pioneer premier cd player

Problems
- TMU - True Mileage Unknown
- Exhaust leak... I think the kid that owned it drilled a hole in the exhaust so it sounds like a riced out honda.
- Windshield has a huuuge crack on the bottom.
- Brakes/Rotors need changed
- Check Engine light is on..
- Cigarette lighter comes out of the hole.
- passenger back seat missing floor trim.

grrrr

So yeah I talked him WAYYYYYYYYYYY down... lol I got a killer deal on this car soooo good of a deal that I actually feel kinda bad. I got him to give me new rotors and brake pads, new plugs, new wires, new oil filter, new air filter, and a few other misc things. Everything all new still in boxes. Thinking about taking some of the things back to the local dealership for cash refund and going to get better than factory stuff.

Will post pictures tomorrow.
The photos he provided will do for now....

Oh and the windshield wiper blades were soo bad, never saw blades soo bad before. When I bought the car I said jokingly to the dealer, good thing it's not raining tonight.... and just my dam luck it rained for about half of my 5 hour journey back home.... True the windshield is already being replaced so I could have used my wipers but I just did it the old school ghetto way and followed the tail lights in front of me.
Old 02-12-09, 02:01 AM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

I know the CEL is on because of the O2 sensor, guessing because of the exhaust leak, but I might as well change the sensor too.
Mechanic friend brought his computer checker thing and pulled the codes, glad I brought him.

Upcoming Mods -

- I want to get rid of that tall spoiler that it has, and I want to get one of those low profile ones with the third brake light.

- Exhaust - Can anyone recommend a good FULL exhaust for me? Maybe headers too? Is 4" exhaust too big for IS300? yes planning ahead for turbo.

- Can someone recommend me some good coilovers?

- Slot ported rotors recommendations?

- I want to change the color of the gauges too, maybe try to find a cluster and send to OLT if he will hook me up!

- I saw the DIY black headlight mod. Has anyone done white instead? Also my fog lights, the yellow ones... eesh.. no way, gonna make them white. And HIDs too (white). And my buddy does some really nice stuff with LED's and made his 350z really classy and luxurious looking with nice placement of LED's, probably get him to do mine too.

I think that's it for now.

Last edited by llllllllll; 02-12-09 at 02:13 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 08:09 AM
lexdymndz
Lead Lap

congrats on the new is. DWP FTW!

for coils i suggest JIC FLT-A2s, if you can find them. a great bang for the buck. (i think nigel sells them new)

for rotors go to my.is/ isfanatics.com and looks up FIGs brake kit. great bang for the buck.

Last edited by lexdymndz; 02-12-09 at 08:12 AM.
Old 02-12-09, 11:18 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome. looks like you have some work ahead of you, but hey it wouldnt be fun unless you had something to do. the spoiler doesnt look bad at all. let me know if you are looking to get rid of it.

dwl looks amazing when clean and waxed though.
Old 02-12-09, 11:26 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LEXUS...Q5fAccessories

im sure you can find cheaper ones if you wait long enough but that will solve your cigarette lighter problem.
Old 02-12-09, 01:37 PM
kayotik
Lead Lap

stick with the OEM parts, they are of better quality than the "better" stuff you talk about..
Old 02-12-09, 02:35 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on your IS300, all the big brand names make exhausts for the IS300, HKS, Greedy, Apexi, tanabe etc.., for headers check out the performence faq on my is and isfanatics, lots of good info there. Also you might want to stop by the NELOC section of this site, there are many members that live in the philly area.
Old 02-12-09, 05:10 PM
JRGS400
Pole Position

congrax. with the IS

Last edited by JRGS400; 02-19-09 at 04:00 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 05:11 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Todays purchases:

- Ipod Adapter (pioneer CD-RB10) for my head unit.
- They installed new batteries in the remote controller
- Fully tuned and adjusted the audio levels
- Started the paperwork for the registration/title etc.
- Got the new windshield wiper blades $25 each ouch. Got the bosch platinum plus bling bling top brand ones.
- Ran my baby through the inspection lanes (even though I knew I would fail) just so I can get temp tags.
- Got a nice car wash and detail aww it's soo sexy now!!!

Tomorrow:
- New windshield
- Insurance
- Mobile 1 filter + oil change
- bulb in rear bumper side marker is out, need to replace it.

ODB scan found threw 2 codes.
PO174
PO125

I see people have P0174 issues when they have exhaust leaks etc. So I know that is the solution for my problem, fix my exhaust.
And I see that P0125 is also related and could be 02 sensor. time for full new exhaust!
Old 02-12-09, 05:14 PM
habeeb89
Lexus Test Driver

Congrats on the purchase, seems like some minor maint. items.
Old 02-12-09, 05:37 PM
llllllllll
Lexus Champion

Yeah very minor, car runs nice (not fast - because of codes) but it runs pretty strong and comfy.

Need to get my front tires balanced too, the wheel really wiggles A LOT when I drive at mid/high speeds. Once I hit over 60mph i'm already going too fast that the vibrations are reduced to nothing. Still would like to get it fixed tomorrow. Should be quick and cheap to balance a couple tires.
Old 02-12-09, 05:54 PM
Lucid
Driver

congrats man !!!
Old 02-12-09, 05:59 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats on the purchase!
Old 02-12-09, 06:05 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Def keep the thread updated w. pix and such.

I'm excited to see where you go with the lights, I've wanted something different there for a while but I've yet to see anything I want to drop hte cash on.
Old 02-12-09, 06:38 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Congrats on the IS!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OMG just bought my first IS300!!!! Soo excited!!!! =)