IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

PHR Short Shifter Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-02, 07:36 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PHR Short Shifter Kit

Go here to read about the PHR Short Shifter Kit for ClubLexus members. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=34712

Michael
Old 02-04-02, 07:51 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

ProLex Performance makes a nicer model, that is also quieter. And I bet cheaper too!
email sales@prolexperformance.com

These guys rule!
Old 02-04-02, 10:07 AM
mkilty
Lead Lap

soyb0mb,

I heard that those two guys bought the PHR(Power House Racing) version and clone it.

Personally I would go with Power House Racing product as they been in the aftermarket business with an awesome reputation for quite a long time. Look what they did for the the Supra market.

Check out their site: www.powerhouseracing.com

CL will be doing a review of Short Shifter kits that is on the market so stay tune to what really is a good buy.

Michael
Old 02-04-02, 12:55 PM
OCIS
Rookie

The noise is a big factor when rev. at high rpms. Have you guys put one in a car yet?
Old 02-05-02, 07:48 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

Default Mkilty

I can understand why you'd think that, but let's be honset, there isn't much involved here, so it's bound to be "similar"
here's an image of the PLP short shifter... as you can see it's not a clone of the PHR, and in fact i think it looks better:
http://www.multicomponent3.com/plp/P...hortshift1.jpg
Old 02-05-02, 08:04 AM
fever
Lead Lap

Default Re: Mkilty

Who let you out of your Parking Lot cage?

Originally posted by soyb0mb
I can understand why you'd think that, but let's be honset, there isn't much involved here, so it's bound to be "similar"
here's an image of the PLP short shifter... as you can see it's not a clone of the PHR, and in fact i think it looks better:
Old 02-05-02, 08:46 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

don't make me smack you up and ruin your dress little girl :P
Old 02-05-02, 09:40 AM
mkilty
Lead Lap

Default Re: Mkilty

Originally posted by soyb0mb
Actually as I understand it Prolex requires the end user customer to send in their stock shifter as a core. One of the disadvantages to that is you will never be able to uninstall the product should you want to unless you buy a new stock unit. PHR & Prolex shifters are noisy, there is no design difference.

The PHR version is a completely new unit. No problem on returning your car to stock condition if needed.

I asked PHR if a CL member wanted to send in their original shifter as core what can they do:

If the IS300 owner would like to return their stock shifter as a core (it must be in good useable shape) then the price will drop to $285 shipped.

Seems like the quality and price is very good for what they produce. I just look at Prolex price and they are actually more expensive then PHR(you claimed that Prolex was cheaper).
Old 02-05-02, 10:55 AM
sphantom
Driver School Candidate

mkilty,

i get the drift that you either mildly dislike plp or just like phr, but most of what youve said is opinion backed up by somewhat incorrect facts.

**disclaimer: I dont mean to offend anyone, and have no association with either phr or plp, and frankly dont care how much better one is over the other as long as i get good products. I have not tried the PHR short shifter, and make no claims otherwise, any opinion i have about the phr ss is purely speculation. I do however own a PLP short shifter, and do attempt to convey a relatively unbiased opinion, and true facts to the best of my knowlege..

That aside, I had a wonderful experience with my PLP short shifter. I bought it on a group buy for 259 i believe, and 272 after tax (both include shipping). This to the best of my knowledge makes it cheaper than the phr ss. I did not have to send in my stock unit, i still have it locked away incase for some stupid unknown reason i'd need to go back to that silly stock shifter height.

My experience with mike of PLP was an excellent one (having never dealt with mike or plp before). Installation wasnt too difficult, took about an hour and a half. Instructions with pictures were quite helpful. After installing it, i can't imagine going back, it should have came from the factory this way. I have yet to experience any additional noise over the stock unit, and the throws are short, firm and precise. Overall, i couldnt be more pleased.

But like i said, i have no experience with the phr short shifter, and potentially could be just as happy with it as i am with my plp. I just wanted to straighten it out, that i did not have to send in my stock unit, it is infact cheaper than the phr ss (marginally), and to the best of my knowledge i havent noticed an increase in noise.

Hope this helps prospective buyers.. can we get an opinion from someone who bought and installed the phr ss?

-sp

Last edited by sphantom; 02-05-02 at 10:58 AM.
Old 02-05-02, 11:22 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

Default Re: Re: Mkilty

Originally posted by mkilty

Actually as I understand it Prolex requires the end user customer to send in their stock shifter as a core. One of the disadvantages to that is you will never be able to uninstall the product should you want to unless you buy a new stock unit.
That is not true. ProLex DOES NOT require your stock shifter, they offer a trade-in rebate, but you can retain your stock shifter if you really want.

Seems like the quality and price is very good for what they produce. I just look at Prolex price and they are actually more expensive then PHR(you claimed that Prolex was cheaper).
I didn't claim, I said "I bet it is cheaper too!", I belive this is the case with and without the rebate deals when compared to PHR.

The only reason I even mentioned the PLP is because Mike is a fantasic guy, and is always looking out for the buyer.

Last edited by soyb0mb; 02-05-02 at 11:25 AM.
Old 02-05-02, 12:27 PM
mkilty
Lead Lap

I have no like or dislike for Prolex They are just not established like PHR powerhouseracing.com who've been in the industry for quite some time.

As I had sent them an e-mail on prices and never received a reply can you give their standard retail price for the Short Shifter with no trade-in on the core?

sphantom: Thanks for the review. I am glad to hear what you thought about the unit from Prolex. I just sent another e-mail to Prolex asking for a unit to do a write-up on. By the way I went to their website for their phone number but it had only one page with no info including no phone number. Do you have a phone number?

I also threw up your opinion on the PLP on the home page. Check it out. I corrected a few spelling mistakes along the way.

Thanks
Old 02-06-02, 06:47 AM
soyb0mb
Driver

FYI, ProLex is the official California dealer for Powerhouse Racing (which is including the PHR shifter) but according to Mike they had complaints about the product so the went ahead and made their own.
Retail for the PLP short shifter is $279, I think a fair bit cheaper if you trade in our stock one.

I only have the PLP header heat-shield, but w/ more PLP products on the way I'm sure it will find some company soon