IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

High pitch noise/whistle.

Old 12-09-07, 05:51 PM
Chauncy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question High pitch noise/whistle.

Hey guys,

I went and looked at an '01 IS300 this weekend because I want to buy one. The car drives fine and doesn't look bad at all, it actually looks great. I just have a question that hopefully some of you can ease my concerns with.

When I got in the car to drive it, the radio was very low and I was listening to the car. I noticed that when I accelerate (I only accelerated moderately as I was in a residential neighborhood) there is a high pitched noise/whistle sound coming from the car. When I heard it I instantly thought that it was coming from the REAR of the car and that it sounded like something was wrong with the speakers. I let go of the gas, and the noise decreased with the gas, then I notice again when I accelerated again, the noise would go with the engine RPMs. As if it were in-sync with the car.

I asked the current owner if they heard that noise and what it was. He told me that it is the intake on the car. The car has the stock intake and no aftermarket air filter. He told me that he brought the car to his mechanic for the same question I have, and his mechanic old him that it is just the sound that the intake makes.

I'm thinking maybe there is some sort of leak somewhere in the intake piping behind the MAF (assuming these use a MAF?), or somewhere at the throttle-body, something like that.

The noise is not very loud. In fact with just the radio on at a conservative volume you can no longer hear the noise; but I am extremely **** and have never heard a car make this noise before. I work for a car dealership and drive used cars all day every day, I can't count how many I have driven, never heard this noise before.

Is this really just a common thing on the IS300s? Or is it something like I think which is a leak/opening somewhere by the throttle-body/after the MAF.

I have searched here and my.IS forums and haven't come up with anything like this. The closest thing I got was someone saying they replaced their idle-control valve and a high pitched noise went away, but it was only when their car was in neutral/park and they revved. I will try to locate the thread again for reference.

Thanks in advance.