IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

manual vs e-shift

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-07, 07:10 PM
tv4184
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual vs e-shift

This may have been posted before but I have a question to pose for all the is300 drivers out there. I've had two cars in my driving history. A 93' corolla and currently have a 99' 4runner. Both are automatics. I'm still searching for my IS300 but I'm not sure if I should be waiting to get a manual or just get an e-shift. I've driven my friend's 240sx and it was sorta hard to get but he tells me that I'll get used to it once I drive a manual daily. Will I be missing out big time if I just get the e-shift model or should I be willing to go to any lengths to find a manual and bring it back home. That's my dillemma at the moment. Thanks ahead of time for any input you guys give me.
Old 06-05-07, 07:14 PM
hoser813
Driver

i love manuals and used to DD them for the past few years. After the first month or so it becomes second nature... you dont even notice you are shifting. I couldnt find a good IS in 5spd so I settled for an auto. Although I miss the 5spd, its not that big of a deal as far as a DD goes. But if you bought your IS to mod, then you will probably want a manual.
Old 06-05-07, 07:43 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I like manual ... but there are times when i'm just completely worn out and even using the indicator lights feels like a lot of work. Also, if you ever have to sit in serious traffic where you move one car length per light, manual is not so much your friend. I'm probably going to buy a 'fun car' for next summer and i'm going to make sure it's a manual, but with traffic around Vancouver, auto is just way more conveniant for daily driving.
Old 06-06-07, 04:58 AM
Carbon~IS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hoser813
But if you bought your IS to mod, then you will probably want a manual.
Why?? I'll rather take an auto over a W55 (and W58)

Now if someone already did a R154 swap
Old 06-06-07, 08:13 AM
tv4184
Rookie

Good input so far. If anyone already knows, Houston is notorious for its traffic jams on the roads. I don't plan on modding the is300 while I'm in school due to limited funds and its the promise I'm making to my parents. That's the main reason I'm getting the car is to get away from the mod scene for a while. I'll definately go modding after graduation though, that'll be in 2010 though. Thanks for the input so far. There'll be a few more weeks before I move on any is300s.
Old 06-06-07, 08:25 AM
BernieIS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as modding goes there is only one thing that has to be considered. You need to decide if you are going to want to put big hp numbers down. If this is in the future you would be best with an auto. If you want a 5spd and plan on modding the car heavily to put down large hp numbers you will have to swap the tranny and several other things anyway. If you will do minor upgrades like intake, headers, midpipe and exhaust you will be fine with the 5spd. I prefer manual and want to turbo my IS. I plan to fully swap/mod the engine and tranny to handle the weak tranny/drivetrain. Other than the modding issue a manual can be tedious in traffic but if you consider yourself a true driver the manual is the way to go, keeps you more focused and in tune with the road. (Personal Opinion)
Old 06-06-07, 08:43 AM
Apex84
Lead Lap

I also deal with a lot of traffic on a daily basis. So I would suggest getting an e-shift. You kind of get the best of both worlds.
Old 06-06-07, 10:45 AM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tv4184
Good input so far. If anyone already knows, Houston is notorious for its traffic jams on the roads. I don't plan on modding the is300 while I'm in school due to limited funds and its the promise I'm making to my parents. That's the main reason I'm getting the car is to get away from the mod scene for a while. I'll definately go modding after graduation though, that'll be in 2010 though. Thanks for the input so far. There'll be a few more weeks before I move on any is300s.
yea! is300 goes to school! ... i know what this is like, you think *oh, it would be really cool to do this and that* and then you have a big midterm and have no time, or your books actually cost more than the mod you were going to do and you have no money ... stupid school, eating up all my resources.

If Houston is anything like Vancouver (and it kinda sounds like it is) you want an auto w. e-shift ... it's what i've got and it works nicely, super fun when you have the opportunity but otherwise, great little car
Old 06-06-07, 03:03 PM
tv4184
Rookie

Originally Posted by BernieIS
As far as modding goes there is only one thing that has to be considered. You need to decide if you are going to want to put big hp numbers down. If this is in the future you would be best with an auto. If you want a 5spd and plan on modding the car heavily to put down large hp numbers you will have to swap the tranny and several other things anyway. If you will do minor upgrades like intake, headers, midpipe and exhaust you will be fine with the 5spd. I prefer manual and want to turbo my IS. I plan to fully swap/mod the engine and tranny to handle the weak tranny/drivetrain. Other than the modding issue a manual can be tedious in traffic but if you consider yourself a true driver the manual is the way to go, keeps you more focused and in tune with the road. (Personal Opinion)
Definately no mods for atleast 3 years. Zero mods until then, so I won't be considering any of that stuff yet. I might still try for a manual but not sure though. Seeing that I'm not a seasoned manual driver. I've only done it twice in my friend's 240sx. Other than that I've been an automatic driver all my life.
Old 06-07-07, 03:37 PM
KPC
Pole Position

Thumbs up

Heyy....i currently own a 2003 manual is300....lots of fun to drive...throttle response is only a tad bit better than the auto's...i am a DD of this car and i love it...although i have to admit...you guys are right about the whole traffic thing...pisses me off sometimes ....also one more thing id like to add...the clutch in the manual is300 is a very different feel than like lets say a honda, acura, or w/e....a bit stiffer and at first very difficult to find that meshing spot...other than that i love the car so much and i am proud to say ive had the car for 2 years and have had absolutely no problems at all....great car...
Old 06-07-07, 10:09 PM
tv4184
Rookie

Thanks for all the input guys. Unfortunately since I am in school my parents still make the calls and they have already insisted I don't get a manual. They think its not safe to drive a manual. What do they know. Oh well. I'll just go with the e-shift...for now.
Old 06-11-07, 04:19 PM
amy011079
Lexus Test Driver

I have the e-shift in mine, and not being a seasoned driver of manuals as well (when I bought the car)that is what I went for. Now, being a seasoned driver of manuals I know I made the right decision for me. I have the best of both worlds. The relaxation of an auto but the fun of a manual when I want. I think you'll be happy with the e-shift and hey, if you don't like it then you can always mod it in 2010 to a 6-speed manual. Happy hunting!!!!
Old 06-11-07, 04:45 PM
Auburnsky
Rookie

I absolutely love my e-shift

can't wait to get a turbo east valve body
Old 06-11-07, 09:21 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

I was at that crossroad when I bought my IS. I came from a 1999 Toyota Solara SE V6 Manual. Because of my commuting, the manual got pretty old fast. I've always admired the IS300 since the begining in 2000 as it was the first year (2001 model) the IS was available....e-shift only. Today I have close to 103k miles on my nearly 4 year old 2004 model which I bought in Sept 2003. Every mile on the car I have fully enjoyed, even in traffic despite it being an auto. The E-shift is definitely a practical choice for those who want to control the gear shifts to a certain point, but drive their car on a daily basis. To date, I have not regretted my e-shift decision.
Old 06-12-07, 09:33 PM
tv4184
Rookie

Thanks for all the input guys. I almost deferred to getting an Acura TSX...but I realized its not as fun as RWD

Quick Reply: manual vs e-shift