IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

NY GTE swapped IS300's Q's about NYSI

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-07, 08:00 PM
brad7771
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NY GTE swapped IS300's Q's about NYSI

I am planning on doing a full GTE swap on an IS300 in the next couple of months. The only concern i have at this time is being able to pass NYSI with my full supra drivetrain. I have way too much money/time invested into my gte drivetrain to move onto something else.

THe steps i will be trying to take to "pass"/float thru NYSI will be:

Locating a obdII harness and OBDII ecu

I *think* i can work the IS body harness into the supra ECU.

I guess my real concern is:

Even after i find the OBDII harness and ecu will the NYSI machine flag it for failure knowing the ecu is from the wrong vehicle and year? Or as long as it comminicates with the ecu and throws no codes will it be ok?

-or-

Can i use the NA GE motor ecu and harness to power a GTE motor without throwing an butt load of codes?

thanks in advance

-brad
Old 04-01-07, 08:44 PM
Carbon~IS
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it doesn't matter as long as you can pass it. (Look at all the engine swapped Hondas rolling around...)

California Law for swapped engine cars (Reference):
Engine changes are legal as long as the following requirements are met to ensure that the change does not increase pollution from the vehicle:
*The engine must be the same year or newer than the vehicle.
*The engine must be from the same type of vehicle (passenger car, light-duty truck, heavy- duty truck, etc.) based on gross vehicle weight.
*If the vehicle is a California certified vehicle then the engine must also be a California certified engine.
*All emissions control equipment must remain on the installed engine.
*After an engine change, vehicles must first be inspected by a state referee station. The vehicle will be inspected to ensure that all the equipment required is in place, and vehicle will be emissions tested subject to the specifications of the installed engine. (I don't think this one applies)

**I would check your local law (ask emission people) what all they do on a engine swapped cars**
Old 04-02-07, 06:30 PM
brad7771
Driver School Candidate

Are they obdII ? The hondas i mean?

Has anyone been in this situation before?
Old 04-05-07, 10:55 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I need to know the same things. It is true in MD that as long as the motor is from the same year or newer and has equal or better emission standards, the swap is okay. But with some swaps the ECU will not interface with the OBDII plug and they can, and usualy will, fail you. Most cars 96 and newer get the OBDII hook up to pass. Thats why most older hondas (92-95 seem to be common) with swaps can pass as long as they pass the tailpipe test. I passed in my OBDI 95 mustang. I swapped it from v6 auto to v8 manual with turbo and it still passed. The guys asked if it was supercharged because of the gauges. I simply said no. And of course I passed. But these cars are OBDII. Thats when the trouble seems to start.
Old 04-09-07, 01:40 PM
TACH_MOTOR
Lead Lap

You can switch your ecu and harness all you'd like however the NYSI checks your ecm for any emmissions codes and it actually checks your A/F sensors and O2 sensors and makes sure they are within parameters. If they are not you will automatically fail the inspection. Especially if you have a GTE swap as long as you have cats and everything works you will pass, Unless you have the jdm one you wont make it. Thanks
Old 05-15-07, 09:37 PM
brad7771
Driver School Candidate

So if i found a (96-98) USspec supra engine/sensors/ecm and harness i could make it work and PASS NYSI?
Old 05-15-07, 11:25 PM
DemonIS300
Driver

nobody i know of ran a supra ecu inside an IS3 yet, you can be a pioneer and try it, but you probably lose your Trac control. If your auto, then they ecu will be confused on the 4speed tranny it's meant for with your IS3 five speed. You can run your stock ecu with a piggyback, but being how complicated an IS3 is, it'll most likely throw codes at you. You can run the stock ecu for all the tachs and stuff like that have a standalone to control the engine. P.S. US spec supra is harder to swap then a JDM motor. Custom motor mounts, custom oilpan. Pretty much everything is custom. JDM aristo GTE motor is pretty much a direct bolt on. The only bad thing is that JDM motors run on OBD1 and ours run OBD2. So good luck with that.
Old 05-16-07, 09:01 PM
Carbon~IS
Lead Lap

My $0.02, save the money, trouble, time and just drop the GTE shortblock and build a nice NA-T setup....

If you really want to do a 2JZ-GTE swap, get a 240 or a SC3....
Old 05-17-07, 02:29 AM
DemonIS300
Driver

how would doing a NA-T be any cheaper than doing a JDM motor swap? it cost about the same maybe even more if you consider buying a short block too. The swap cost less but more headaches coming to ECU.
Old 05-17-07, 06:33 AM
KiPod
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbon~IS
My $0.02, save the money, trouble, time and just drop the GTE shortblock and build a nice NA-T setup....
Thats what Im planning on doing because...

Originally Posted by DemonIS300
The swap cost less but more headaches coming to ECU.
Old 05-20-07, 06:59 PM
brad7771
Driver School Candidate

this is just a headache....
Old 05-20-07, 07:07 PM
Carbon~IS
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DemonIS300
how would doing a NA-T be any cheaper than doing a JDM motor swap? it cost about the same maybe even more if you consider buying a short block too. The swap cost less but more headaches coming to ECU.
I wasn't talking about the JDM 2JZ-GTE from Aristo w/ Auto tranny..... I was talking about swapping USDM 2JZ-GTE from a Supra w/ a v160....

If you misunderstood me, my bad on that one... I guess I should have specified which swap I was comparing the NA-T option to.
Old 05-23-07, 08:57 AM
Trin
Driver School Candidate

Forgive my ignorance on the subject. But with the exception of piston, cams, and a few other pieces to replace on the motor, doesn't adding a turbo and a few extra body mods turn a 2jz-ge, into a 2jz-gte? Is the motor in the IS, not the same block as the 2jz-gte? just tuned down....I'm confused...
Old 05-23-07, 11:28 AM
DemonIS300
Driver

practically it's the same motor with exception to the intake manifold, the engines internal, oil pan, and of course turbos.
Old 05-23-07, 12:09 PM
Trin
Driver School Candidate

Thats what I thought...why waste the time on the swap. Just turbo that beast and do your own mods. That way, you've got the original motor, and NYSI can suck it.

Quick Reply: NY GTE swapped IS300's Q's about NYSI