IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

What is the best Stand-Alone system out there?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-06, 02:47 PM
joshSETX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the best Stand-Alone system out there?

I am trying to research and get experienced information from people who know, to help me make a knowledgable decision about buying one..

Also, If I install a new header that didn't come w/ an O2 sim (just use the stock O2 sensors), insall the new y-pipe w/ resonator, cut-in (weld) a hi-flow cat onto the front on the stock B-pipe before the resonator, and finally installed an HKS Carbon-Ti Exhaust on the 4th section would my check engine light come on?

Then, would welding the hi-flow cat benefit me or not?

If the check engine light comes on, can I... 1. unplug my battery 2. drain battery down 3. tap the brakes, to reset the ecu?

Finally, will reseting the ecu fix the check engine light problem or will it come back on?

I have read the when installing a new header, because of the high-flow the ecu will change the Air/Fuel ratio and run the car lean, is this true?

Also, I've heard reseting the ecu will allow the ecu to recalculate the new header in the Air/Fuel ratio and produce a good A/F ratio. Therefore optimizing my new gains.

Any help would be thankful! 's

Last edited by joshSETX; 07-05-06 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-06-06, 06:33 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by joshSETX
I am trying to research and get experienced information from people who know, to help me make a knowledgable decision about buying one..

Also, If I install a new header that didn't come w/ an O2 sim (just use the stock O2 sensors), insall the new y-pipe w/ resonator, cut-in (weld) a hi-flow cat onto the front on the stock B-pipe before the resonator, and finally installed an HKS Carbon-Ti Exhaust on the 4th section would my check engine light come on?

Then, would welding the hi-flow cat benefit me or not?

If the check engine light comes on, can I... 1. unplug my battery 2. drain battery down 3. tap the brakes, to reset the ecu?

Finally, will reseting the ecu fix the check engine light problem or will it come back on?

I have read the when installing a new header, because of the high-flow the ecu will change the Air/Fuel ratio and run the car lean, is this true?

Also, I've heard reseting the ecu will allow the ecu to recalculate the new header in the Air/Fuel ratio and produce a good A/F ratio. Therefore optimizing my new gains.

Any help would be thankful! 's
Welding the hi-flow cat wouldn't really be beneficial unless you plan to keep the car in that form for a long time.

If the CEL comes on, there are two ways to reset it on Toyota/Lexus vehicles. 1) Disconnect the positive battery terminal for 15 seconds 2) Pull the EFI fuse for 15 seconds.

With Toyota/Lexus ECU's yes the computer is optimally programmed to get the best combination of fuel economy and power with the stock induction system. True once you upgrade, as the ECU senses more flow, it will compensate and run lean at some instances. If you were to just put a regular short ram or CAI alone, it normally wants to just dump more fuel so you will get a very rich reading. A good piggyback to assist with your A/F ratio is the Apex S-AFC II.
Old 07-06-06, 06:57 AM
joshSETX
Driver School Candidate

thanks!

I have a K&N now but its just the air filter, no ram!
IF I have the K&N air filter, Megan Header, Megan Y-pipe, stock B-pipe, and HKS muffler, will reseting the ECU fix the fuel economy to where it will run just right?

The reason I ask for a Stand Alone is that I am in the market for a turbo kit for my car...
I know my new header will be obsolete, but no problem.

I wanted to get a SC first that's why bought the header, but not sure if that's the way to go r not now.

Last edited by joshSETX; 07-06-06 at 07:04 AM.
Old 07-11-06, 02:36 PM
toekneepark
Driver School Candidate

for the best standalone question, you're going to have tons of arguments around it.

i think a lot of people would agree if money wasn't a factor the motec would probably be the top dog of them all. but 98% of people using the motec won't use it to it's potential.

others in no particular order

AEM is a good one, that's the one i'm getting
tec3
haltech
Old 07-11-06, 02:52 PM
joshSETX
Driver School Candidate

AEM is the one TOYOMOTO is using as their logo is, "Call for a tuning appiontment; Looking forward to Plug and Play!"

Has the E-manage system become something of the past?
Old 07-11-06, 02:56 PM
toekneepark
Driver School Candidate

i wouldn't say something of the past. with the emanage or any system in that matter, you need to find a good tuner.