IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

IS3 successor to AE 86 trueno

Old 08-14-01, 09:49 PM
GhoSStRyda
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a friend said the IS300/Altezza is considered to be the successor to the AE86 Levin/Trueno? is that true? i would think not becuase the trueno is a two door.... he argued that it was a good car for drifting...?
Old 08-15-01, 01:12 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by GhoSStRyda
a friend said the IS300/Altezza is considered to be the successor to the AE86 Levin/Trueno? is that true? i would think not becuase the trueno is a two door.... he argued that it was a good car for drifting...?
There is no Successor to the Levin/Trueno...... because those cars still exist in Japan, but not AE86 but AE111. AE111 Levin is a coupe now not a hatch.

Yes the IS is a good car for drifting. But if it doesn't look like the picture that I made, then it's not going to be a new AE86

Old 08-15-01, 03:46 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think not cause altezza is way havier than ae86 and they are in diffrent class. Anyways why bother compare ae86 is some 15 years old POS i would feel embaress to drive one... Your friend must been watching intial d lately right?

. AE111 Levin is a coupe now not a hatch.
isn't ae101 fwd???
Old 08-15-01, 04:33 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

the altezza was on the top 5 list for drift cars in japan...i think it was ranked 2nd or 3rd.

bwm540 - that's a very arrogant statement. there are a lot of people who wished they could get their hands on a trueno/levin. i personally am looking for one also. btw, its in the driver, not the car.
Old 08-15-01, 11:10 AM
GhoSStRyda
Rookie

BMW540-6~ althought the ae86s are not as plush as most modern cars, it is by far not a POS... it is actually a very popular car (even here in the US) to modify. they don't cost a whole lot, the mods are relatively inexpensive and they are also kinda hard to come by...
Old 08-15-01, 12:08 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BMW540-6

i think not cause altezza is way havier than ae86 and they are in diffrent class. Anyways why bother compare ae86 is some 15 years old POS i would feel embaress to drive one... Your friend must been watching intial d lately right?

isn't ae101 fwd???

AE86 is not a POS. Many people would like to have one. I would like to get one to fix up as a toy. AE86 chassis with 4A-GE engine (GT-S models here) has the 3rd most aftermarket engine parts for in Japanese cars (after RB26DETT and 3S-GE)

AE101 is FWD. So is AE111.
Old 08-15-01, 07:39 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Especially after watching Initial D
Old 08-15-01, 09:24 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i never knew the altezza was such a good drifter, does the aristo perform almost as well?

i know it doesn't, but i just wish it did! haha
Old 08-16-01, 03:23 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

BMW540-6~ althought the ae86s are not as plush as most modern cars, it is by far not a POS... it is actually a very popular car (even here in the US) to modify. they don't cost a whole lot, the mods are relatively inexpensive and they are also kinda hard to come by...
AE86 was popular in mid 80's ~ early 90's. And it was like dead in late 90's til like 2 years ago when some retarded Japanese comic intial D came out. And when intial D animation came out kids start to get crazy over it.. now those ae86 are for kids who are broke that cannot afford a real car. Since we all own lexus here we most likely won't buy one. To most people ae86 is like litter on the street they should be keep in junk yard. They are not hard to find here is a website where you can find plenty of it www.copartfinder.com.
Old 08-16-01, 12:43 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Actually the 86 never died. I guess you don't have much knowledge about early 90's ~ present Japanese auto-tuning industry. Ever since the AE86 models rolled off the assembly line it was popular for it's durable engine, good quality, nice handling characteristics, and of course the low cost. 4A-GE engine remains very tuneable. A truckload of aftermarket parts from suspension to turbo/supercharger/bore/all engine internals. For many of us, it's more important to have those than spending money on intake/exhaust/chips like many European cars. Go buy yourself the new issue of Options 2 mag and see for yourself. It's not a kid's car. Certainly not a rich kid's car.

btw why does many European tuners have to design peroformance chips for cars like Audi and BMW? Are the stock computers that low in quality?

For some people, a real car just doesn't mean some car that costs 50k plus that can't live up to the competition.
Old 08-17-01, 04:38 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

BMW540-6 - As Globe said, the AE86 never died. it's FAR from just a "kid's" car or "litter"..there are many out there that will spank almost any BMW or Lexus (including Mo's)...

I own a Lexus and the ONLY reason why I haven't bought a AE86 is because 1) a clean one is hard to find and 2) My GS would never get a supercharger because I'd be too busy fixing up the AE86!

I have a Option video of a "street" modified AE86 in the hands of one of Japan's top racers...in a race with "big" cars like fixed up Lamborghini's and such and he's going around the Lambo on the OUTSIDE of a turn flipping the Lambo driver off...hehehehe...once my PC is working again (PC's are like Fords! My Mac is like a Lexus!), I'll MPEG a video clip of it (my PC's video card has video in)

The AE86 is a HIGHLY respected car...don't let it's "econobox" marketing fool ya...
Attached Thumbnails IS3 successor to AE 86 trueno-big17.jpg  
Old 08-18-01, 05:14 AM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

i think most people just don't pay as much attention to AE86 as we used to. I think only minority are still into it they are either older generation or kids just got ther license. I seen lots of AE86's video and I'm not impress, i guess its all about interest. I have seen quality used AE86 went as high as 4 millions and as low as 200's so there are big diffrents.

is it a AE85 levin in your picture?
Old 08-18-01, 12:56 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BMW540-6
i think most people just don't pay as much attention to AE86 as we used to. I think only minority are still into it they are either older generation or kids just got ther license. I seen lots of AE86's video and I'm not impress, i guess its all about interest. I have seen quality used AE86 went as high as 4 millions and as low as 200's so there are big diffrents.

is it a AE85 levin in your picture?
What kinda AE86 videos do you watch?
They can't be made SUPER powerful, but they can be made real good track and twisty road cars. Minorities buy them because many of them are poor (no offense to minorities) and kids because they're poor too (no offense to poor kids). But even some professional racers in Japan buy AE86 Truenos to fix up and race. I'm sure they're not poor.

ntw AE86 and 85 has no physical differences after they're all fixed up. You can tell by the paint and by the stock wheels.
Old 08-18-01, 04:46 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Minorities buy them because many of them are poor (no offense to minorities) and kids because they're poor too (no offense to poor kids). But even some professional racers in Japan buy AE86 Truenos to fix up and race. I'm sure they're not poor.
dude what were you thinking?? I was saying only minority of people still into AE86 in Japan!! i wasn't saying anything about race!! Hell your gs3 is cheap too(not offense to gs3 owners) it is why you brought it cause you can't afford a real car?
Old 08-19-01, 12:01 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

dude why are you being so freakin offensive? geeze man, chill out. you're not gonna go to jail for that.

sorry about misunderstanding your comments. I just thought that if it comes out from you it might mean something offensive (not saying your posts are offensive but nevertheless)

HELL YA MY GS300 IS CHEAP! I didn't pay TOO MUCH more than what it's worth. Don't get what I mean, if I have money for a really expensive ES300 i would get a GS300. You see the analogy?

and your idea of a real car is? what's a fake car? now i'm seeing why i didn't get your previous post. don't type with your hands full.

Last edited by GlobeCLK; 08-19-01 at 12:11 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IS3 successor to AE 86 trueno