IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

BMW 330ci vs IS300

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-01, 02:44 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, I don't know what the problem was, but now they are working fine for me.
That are some cool vids.

Thanks for your help.

Richie
Old 08-25-01, 08:33 AM
The Truth

Default lol

Francis, my apologies. The shock of seeing that travesty in person was not easily forgotten.

To make amends, I offer this:

http://www.ziplink.net/~ctroiane/sonorous.mpg (1.5 MB)

and some comic relief:

Richie, glad they worked out
Old 09-01-01, 03:08 AM
JT-KGY

I have to be honest that I have no respect for IS300
until just recently that I found it has Supra engines...
And I know the potential of Supra engines..
But why does stock IS300 so slow?? The auto does
0-60 in mid to low 7s... and even the 5 speed needs
high 6s... (heard that from this board)...

Doesn't Supra N/A does 60 in low low 6s and weigh
more that the IS??

Just wondering...
Old 09-01-01, 03:53 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lets just put it this way guys...for 40k, i could have a manual is3 with a stage2 supercharger, or a turbo system that would blow doors off M3s.
Old 09-02-01, 08:21 AM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

I am planning on purchasing the TRD approved SC, in what range will that put my IS ?, in terms of sneaker-stealth....i.e. surprising other non-suspecting drivers

And by range I mean useable HP, I know it won't be surpassing the M3, but maybe keeping up....I figure with the TRD SC, I'll have an additional 50-60 HP, so making, with the existing 215..a nice 265 or more...and I guess at the very least....sorry Mr. CL and TL Type S...I go buy-bye on you now....

I really only drop the pedal for very short span of road...to many cops and just plain to dangerous...so I have to within maybe an on ramp or between lights, to be able punch it and prove superiority....not easy
Old 09-05-01, 10:45 AM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default IS300 for $37K?

I just test drove a 2002 IS300 5 speed(sucks!) and auto both with full leather. Without batting and eye, they discounted$2500 of the MSRP!

The full leather and PepBoys add on wood help, but the interior is sub par for a $30K plus 3 series wanna be.

Last year I did a Lexus ride and drive and a BMW ride and drive. The IS300 is good stock up to 8/10ths, the 330i is good up to 10/10ths!

As far as quality, Toyota has deep pockets and quality is great! But BMW's is very good too. My 14 year old M5 is in fantastic shape...ever look at a 1987 Cresida? Rust bucket! My fantastic SC400...bad dash, bad steering pump...bad TC what Toyota quality.
And service...$85 for a oil change...my BMW dealer...service is free for first three years! After that, my dealer has been very reasonable...

Old 09-05-01, 10:53 AM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default 2002 CL-Type S 6 Speed

I am planning on purchasing the TRD approved SC, in what range will that put my IS ?, in terms of sneaker-stealth....i.e. surprising other non-suspecting drivers

And by range I mean useable HP, I know it won't be surpassing the M3, but maybe keeping up....I figure with the TRD SC, I'll have an additional 50-60 HP, so making, with the existing 215..a nice 265 or more...and I guess at the very least....sorry Mr. CL and TL Type S...I go buy-bye on you now....

I really only drop the pedal for very short span of road...to many cops and just plain to dangerous...so I have to within maybe an on ramp or between lights, to be able punch it and prove superiority....not easy

NOT SOOOO FAST! HONDA'S COMPTECH DIVISION MAKES A SUPERCHARGER FOR THE TL/CL'S (350-375 HP RANGE) LIKE THE ONE THEY MAKE FOR THE NSX...FULLY WARRANTED AND A SIX SPEED CL TYPE S IS DUE OUT THIS YEAR. A SIX SPEED TL TYPE S MAY FOLLOW (IT TAKES 1 MILLION USD TO CERTIFY A CAR IN THE US)

SO BUY-BUY LEXUS!

JOE
1987 M5
1993 SC400
2000 540I SPORT
2002 330I SPORT/2002 IS300(AT A $2500 DISCOUNT..IT MAKES IT TOUGH CHOOSING):eek:
Old 09-05-01, 11:26 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by The Ikon
I'm not sure(but maybe) exactly what Lexus_IS300 was talking about, but with performance upgrades such as a $4000 turbo kit or S/C kit, exhaust, ecu upgrade, etc..... The IS3 will faster than a M3 and cheaper than a fully loaded 330i.

Welcome to the Forum......

uhmmm, the cheapest supercharger kit is around 4250, on top of the price of the car, itll be around 37-38k not including installation, then you wuold also need suspension, power is nothing without control, than you would also need more traction, and better brakes...so the total comes out to right around 40k or so. even at 37-38k, that is the price of a 330i (could be obtained cheaper than msrp).
Old 09-05-01, 01:24 PM
ming 2.7T
Driver

whats the torque rating for the IS tranny? just wondering.

Also, I saw earlier in this thread that SC IS300 is faster than the new M3?
Does anyone have any timeslip showing the time of a SC IS300? Never seen one posted. It would have to run under 13.8 to stay with new M3 in 1/4. I know what mags say for E46 M3 but real world times seem to be running 13.4-13.8 1/4 miles at the best. ANy info would be helpful.

Last edited by ming 2.7T; 09-05-01 at 01:36 PM.
Old 09-05-01, 02:36 PM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Default Re: 2002 CL-Type S 6 Speed

Originally posted by BimmerLexus

NOT SOOOO FAST! HONDA'S COMPTECH DIVISION MAKES A SUPERCHARGER FOR THE TL/CL'S (350-375 HP RANGE) LIKE THE ONE THEY MAKE FOR THE NSX...FULLY WARRANTED AND A SIX SPEED CL TYPE S IS DUE OUT THIS YEAR. A SIX SPEED TL TYPE S MAY FOLLOW (IT TAKES 1 MILLION USD TO CERTIFY A CAR IN THE US)

SO BUY-BUY LEXUS!

JOE
1987 M5
1993 SC400
2000 540I SPORT
2002 330I SPORT/2002 IS300(AT A $2500 DISCOUNT..IT MAKES IT TOUGH CHOOSING):eek:

I didn't know Acura/Honda....had a Comptech division ??, uhm..I always thought they had no ties with Honda/Acura...other than building aftermarket products, and I checked for the said mentioned SC..I didn't see it at there website, and Acura fully backs the warranty ? I doubt that unless they, the warranty is from Comptech not Honda if there even is one, further more 260 HP to 350 HP I would never want to drive a front wheel drive car with that...torque steer would be un-real...not mention you would snap the half shaft....IS 300 shines through with easily supporting 350 HP....
Old 09-06-01, 02:24 AM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by ming 2.7T
whats the torque rating for the IS tranny? just wondering.

Also, I saw earlier in this thread that SC IS300 is faster than the new M3?
Does anyone have any timeslip showing the time of a SC IS300? Never seen one posted. It would have to run under 13.8 to stay with new M3 in 1/4. I know what mags say for E46 M3 but real world times seem to be running 13.4-13.8 1/4 miles at the best. ANy info would be helpful.
depends on the stage and the manufacturer. no one to my knowledge has ran times with a supercharged is300, i could be wrong.
Old 09-08-01, 06:55 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: 330i vs IS300

Originally posted by AC Schnitzer
#1.AN IS300 will not outrun a M3. PERIOD.
#2. IS300 is a very nice car, but every magazine test says its behind the BMW.
#3. IS300.... NO STICK !
#4. Still a Toyota.
#5. Resale, the BMW has better market resale.
Still need more?
This forum will tel you Lexus, a BMW forum will say BMW.
I have owned both and now drive a BMW.
Someone probably corrected you already but here's my correct just in case. Just in case they didn't, the IS300 has a stick for 2002. Resale? That's debatable, I doubt the difference in resale value is statistically significant.

I had a 320I years ago and with all the problems I had I swore never to buy a BMW. No matter how much better they are now, they will never have me as a customer.

And you know what, it's a good thing a Lexus is a Toyota. Reliability and resale value are synomous with Toyota.

BTW, has your beemer been spanked by a supra tt lately?
Old 09-08-01, 07:23 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: IS300 for $37K?

I just test drove a 2002 IS300 5 speed(sucks!) and auto both with full leather. Without batting and eye, they discounted$2500 of the MSRP!

The full leather and PepBoys add on wood help, but the interior is sub par for a $30K plus 3 series wanna be.

Last year I did a Lexus ride and drive and a BMW ride and drive. The IS300 is good stock up to 8/10ths, the 330i is good up to 10/10ths!

As far as quality, Toyota has deep pockets and quality is great! But BMW's is very good too. My 14 year old M5 is in fantastic shape...ever look at a 1987 Cresida? Rust bucket! My fantastic SC400...bad dash, bad steering pump...bad TC what Toyota quality.
And service...$85 for a oil change...my BMW dealer...service is free for first three years! After that, my dealer has been very reasonable...

$85 for an oil change for a SC400? Do you have sucker written all over your face? The Lexus dealer here will do it for $39.00. I have that price right on my windshield so I can scan it if you have any doubts.

They must have improved quality of your M-5. Was that the first year of it?

My 320I was a lemon. Everything, and I do mean, everything, feel apart at 70k. I finally had enough when the transmission bearings went to hell. I had to sell it. My cheap mustang gt had about 1/4 of the problems of the beemer/bimmer.

I am sure BMW has gotten better since I had mine, but I am not welling to spend the $$ to find out. The free maint is cool but how much is that worth? I spent about $500 in maintence in two years on my Lexus.

The BMW 3 series(5 series too)can be order without a sport package. How does that model compare to IS300?

Old 09-08-01, 08:24 PM
BimmerLexus
Rookie

Default Lexus Service

$85 for an oil change for a SC400?
Yes $85 from Lexus of Cherry Hill, thats why I do it myself!
BTW-my Bimmer dealer charges $39, $20 if you bring your own Mobil1.

1988 was the only year of the E28 M5. Very good quality for such a high tech car for 1988. 24 Valves and 256 hp stock...310 hp with Dinan Sproket and chip.

My 320I was a lemon. Everything, and I do mean, everything, feel apart at 70k.
Thats funny my SC400's tranny went at 65K. And I did regular service(every 15K). My dash went @ 50K and the ball joints and shocks went @ 75K

The free maint is cool but how much is that worth? I spent about $500 in maintence in two years on my Lexus. You must not drive too much...per Lexus, two years or 24K miles will cost over $1200!

The BMW 3 series(5 series too)can be order without a sport package.The 2001 330i comes with the sports package standard.

Nice try.....
Old 09-08-01, 10:14 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Lexus Service

$85 for an oil change for a SC400?
Yes $85 from Lexus of Cherry Hill, thats why I do it myself!
BTW-my Bimmer dealer charges $39, $20 if you bring your own Mobil1.

1988 was the only year of the E28 M5. Very good quality for such a high tech car for 1988. 24 Valves and 256 hp stock...310 hp with Dinan Sproket and chip.

My 320I was a lemon. Everything, and I do mean, everything, feel apart at 70k.
Thats funny my SC400's tranny went at 65K. And I did regular service(every 15K). My dash went @ 50K and the ball joints and shocks went @ 75K

The free maint is cool but how much is that worth? I spent about $500 in maintence in two years on my Lexus. You must not drive too much...per Lexus, two years or 24K miles will cost over $1200!

The BMW 3 series(5 series too)can be order without a sport package.The 2001 330i comes with the sports package standard.

Nice try.....
I guess they are ripping you off. I live in S.F. and it has one of the highest costs of living in the country. And it's $39 to change the oil at my Lexus dealer. And my maintence costs are for 20k miles. Oh, I didn't mention that my dealer gave me some free and discount service coupons? Your dealer must really suck. My dealer treats me like a customer. He just waits to take $$ like uncle sam does. But he least he smiles when he does it. Did Lexus cover the tranny repair? The current warranty would up to 7 years or 70k miles.

I forget to mention that the slave cylinder on my clutch went out on my bmw. Oh, and my fuel pump gave out too while I was driving on the freeway. Luckily, I was able to start it up while coasting on the freeway. It's not comforting to see the tach drop to the bottom at highway speeds. All of my problems occured even with religious maint. All the work was performed at independent shops with the $$ coming out my pocket.

We had a celica that we sold a couple of years ago. We did have to changed the struts and brakes and one ball joint. But other then that and regular maint, it ran flawlessly. Auto trans was fine. It never gave us any problems. I wish we had it back.

Did I mention that to have the same auto as an IS300, bmw charges $1275 msrp? And that sport package does not come with the car standard(at least not the four door, 2001) Cha ching, can you say $1200 msrp to the table. Oh, let's not forget metallic paint costs how much? $475! Let's see, after I included these things it's about 41k. A similarly equippend IS is $35k. The difference in price could help an IS owner, say, drop a few hundred in the suspension so it could ride like a bmw. Granted, the steering is pretty tops in bimmers, so give it up for the boys in the deutchland.

You can use carpoint or bmw's site to verify bmw prices.

The 2002 IS 5spd is $29980 without options and the E shift model is $31,350(lexus website) I don't have the 2002 prices for BMW.

I really do admire bmws but because of past experiences, I cannot/will not do business with them. Lexus is very close to bmw in terms of performance, superior to bmw in luxury, and taking $$ into account, is the winner. At least for my wallet.

Both of our experiences prove that any car maker can produce a lemon.

YMMV

Quick Reply: BMW 330ci vs IS300