IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

BMW 330ci vs IS300

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-01, 10:33 AM
Francis K
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello People

Damn we need to calm down a IS3 is a great car and I think a 330 is badass ride too....but I'm just gonna give my opinion for ROYBOY....I'm not gonna talk out of my ***, I'm gonna bring any stats that are gonna be disputed to hell.

Okay okay

IS is much cheaper
IS does come in a stick now
IS has great customer service
IS is a new car and will turn some heads
IS can be modded easily
IS is known to have great reliability
IS had all the new look and new age styling you can get

With the money saved you could mod, put rims, intake ECU sway bars the whole shot. I'm holding the brand new Moter Trend in my hand and according to them the 330i is 7,000 more than the IS300 (I'm just giving info in case he wants it, don't flame..it's a direct quote). I read a while back that Lexus is cutting production of their cars, they don't want the road all filled with their cars, they was there cars to be exclusive....to me, that's a great thing, anytime I see a LX450 I try to run it off the road .

okay

330 is faster
330 comes in convertible...(doesn't it)
330 is said to have better handling because it is BMW

Okay...me, I would go with the IS3..nobody has it and I think it looks great. I've seen very few on the road and everytime I did the girls with me said....."oh my god that's so nice". I see BMW's all the time. With the save cash you can mod it to be faster than a 330 quite easily and still save money. Lexus has been rated 1st in customer service many years in a row by many publications. Well.....there's one thing that would change all this, that is if the BMW was a convertible, you can't beat a convertible in teh summertime, if you were thinking convertible go with the BMW, I would....just cause I could put the top down and watch people stare at me and see girls wanting to sit next to me.

Okay....that's my opinion. I really didn't think I talked out of my ***. I stated facts and didn't state anything outlandish. Just my 2 bits
Old 08-14-01, 09:23 AM
RiCeBoY300

Question .......

Lexus is overall the winner tadahhh!!:eek:
Old 08-14-01, 09:25 AM
RiCeBoY300

Talking .....

Lexus is a better car overall........ tadahhh, we have a winner:eek:
Old 08-14-01, 09:45 AM
Welsh0913
Driver School Candidate

If money wasn't a issue, I'd get the BMW 330Ci. I think the exterior looks absolutely beautiful and BMWs are really fun to drive. The only issue is that a loaded 330Ci will cost in the low to mid $40,000s. Thats almost $10,000 more than a IS300 would cost similarily equipped. The cost of the 330Ci would really put it competing against the Audi S4, and I would get the S4 over it hands down. With a chip and few bolt-ons, it would run with the M3.
Old 08-23-01, 07:34 PM
JT-KGY

http://www.turbobmw.com/genel.html
http://www.evotuners.com/liu1.htm
Old 08-23-01, 08:54 PM
glex
Rookie

wow!
0-60 MPH : 3.48 Sec
1/4 ET/MPH : 10.62@133.39
Old 08-24-01, 01:44 PM
ari1856

Red face Until we get the supra Twin Turbo

The IS will not keep up with a 3 series. Being fair, the IS priced like a 325 not an M3 so a direct comparison is not very legitimate. I understand that the IS engine is very similar (with the exception of VVTI) to a supra engine......So a TT supra engine should fit nicely! Too bad Toyota/Lexus don't have the ***** to make it!
Old 08-24-01, 02:26 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Until we get the supra Twin Turbo

Originally posted by ari1856
The IS will not keep up with a 3 series. Being fair, the IS priced like a 325 not an M3 so a direct comparison is not very legitimate. I understand that the IS engine is very similar (with the exception of VVTI) to a supra engine......So a TT supra engine should fit nicely! Too bad Toyota/Lexus don't have the ***** to make it!
no TT means no *****?
Doesn't that make Honda no ***** too? :eek:

I say more like MARKETING STRATEGIES than *****.
Old 08-24-01, 02:28 PM
The Truth

Default Funny you mention that

This weekend I watched as an IS300, stock-looking, absolutely destroyed a new E46 325i. The 325i had Hartge Classic wheels on it, of which I am not a fan, because they weight close to 35 lbs a piece (!). The 325i would pull up on the Lexus (this was on the highway), hit it, and then the IS300 would reel it in and blow by it no problem. Not originally a part of our pack, the 325i tried to stay up with us but it was the IS300 that stayed with us the longest, rolling into the Fairgrounds about a half hour behind us, followed by the 325i ten minutes later. Just something I thought you Lexus owners would like to hear

Globe, you asked me how much the 3.2L engine could take for power? I think I have your answer:

http://www.ziplink.net/~ctroiane/web/hid.html pics, movies, etc.

Hot Import Daze in York, Pa. this past weekend. Remember that Ti I told you about? I have now experienced it firsthand, and words cannot express how stupid, scary fast the damn thing is (I know it's no big deal to have a 10-second Supra, but it is quite a coup to get a BMW, any BMW really, into the tens). Right now the Ti has a 3.2L OBDI Stage II Active Autowerke Turbo making over 400 hp to the wheels (I believe 440 but cannot quote absolutes) before the nitrous. In short, the car is out of this world, and none of the NA M3s could come close to keeping up with it when its driver started showing off.

Heh...see the yellow M3 in my .sig? That's the one I'm talking about regarding the engine swap. I guess the owner is sick of hearing how his car is all show and no go

Chris
Old 08-24-01, 03:21 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

sweet.

How much HP does that turbo M3 have? It says parts are capable of 800hp and 1200hp but didn't say exactly how much.
Old 08-24-01, 03:22 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The truth, I downloaded the movies from the site you posted but I can't play them.
Do I need a special codec?

Thanx
Old 08-24-01, 03:30 PM
The Truth

Default interesting

You shouldn't need anything special to play them, I created them in MPEG 1 format...what are you using for a player? Use Windows Media Player if possible. I'll take a look at them right now, but as I'm accessing them, they are playing right in my browser window no problem.

Try Windows Media Player. If that's what you're using already, let me know and I'll troubleshoot the problem.

And call me Chris, it's easier

Old 08-24-01, 05:50 PM
MrWigggles
Rookie

I am responding simply to the initial question:

The 330 from BMW is overpriced even when compared to their own model line. The extra half of a liter engine going from the 2.5 to 3.0 costs about $6K more.

Bang for the buck I would put the 325 and the IS300 on "about" the same level.

Now between the IS300 and the BMW 330, if someone gave me one or the other, I would take the 330. But value forget about it.

For $40,000 before TTL you can get pretty decked out 330.

For that same amount you can get a IS300 with about $8K of upgrades which I would spend on a Toyomoto turbo kit. Which will almost double the power to the wheels.

With the money now equal, the IS300 won't have quite the luxury of the BMW, but will have plenty more spanking power.

The IS300 is the better deal.

-Mr. Wigggles
Old 08-24-01, 06:02 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hartge Classic wheels on it, of which I am not a fan, because they weight close to 35 lbs a piece (!)
wow it weight 35 each wheels??!? I have Hartge wheels too they look very nice and they are made by ronal, however they are too heavy
Old 08-25-01, 12:30 AM
Francis K
Racer

Default please please please

please don't post that GS-4runna, we've all thrown up over it already

Quick Reply: BMW 330ci vs IS300