IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Subaru WRX vs. Lexus IS 300 (5 speed)

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-01, 02:52 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up IS300

I would buy the IS, WRX is simply tooo ugly for my taste. Yes it is sure fast, but considered the Brand quality/reliability, overall image, comfort, and styling. Plus a 4 banger is still a 4 bangers ride quality isn't near as the IS

2002 IS300 5 speed improves a lot upon 2000 ~2001, the full leather seat, new nav, and a firmer suspension. Not to mention the hot new Manual. WRX is sure fast, but if that's all we want? why is there people spending 50k+ to get GS400/430? while it is slower?

It all depends on what you searching for, like we all said to these ricers, no matter how fast your car runs it is still a civic~. Get IS300 turboed, and seriously kick some ***.

There is no way in the world I would settle for WRX's ugly styling and cheezy round lights nomatter how good it performs.

My award goes to IS300 5 speed.

hell with magazine numbers, I setup a drag race between my friend IS300 and 330i Manual. the Race was close all the way. You gotta see it to believe it.
Old 08-08-01, 10:04 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

No S*&@ by the time you fix that WRX up to acually look as good as the IS it will have cost you more than the IS And that is without any modifications also looked up replacment turbos for the WRX the cheepest one i could find was $2500 without Instalation and it only added 50 awhp not to mention that if that car has 225 awhp stock being plit 4 ways it loses nearly 28% of it!

http://www.swiftracing.com/index2.html

SRT Supercharger

Stage 4 kits feature:
- SRT unique silent SD-2 supercharger
- Custom boost pressures (up to 30PSI)
- High efficiency performance surge valve
- Level 2 High Flow Intercooler
- SRT custom designed and fabricated 6061 T6 aluminum mounting plate(s)
- SRT custom designed and fabricated electronic fuel management ECU
- SRT custom specs high flow fuel injectors
- SRT custom specs high flow street fuel pump 550lbs./hr. rated @ 1000HP
- Complete Stainless Steel Braided Fuel Lines (-8AN supply line)
- Super Fuel Management unit (boost sensitive)
- SRT custom specs built transmission ugrade
- SRT custom specs forged racing pistons
- SRT custom specs forged connecting rods (optional)
- Vacumm/Boost Guage

Stage 4 kits are priced depending on customers needs!

Probably around $10K will make the IS faster than a Stock Viper
Old 08-10-01, 05:49 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Stage 4 kit isn't for the IS it's for GS400........ SRT doesn't even have a SC for the 2JZ engine yet.

Get rid of the 3 cat converters on the WRX and you get yourself 250rwhp.

Replacement turbos alone doesn't make a turbo car faster. Boost and everything else is what counts. A new turbo, intercooler, and boost controller can get another 100rwhp AT LEAST, for WRX. Read OPTION.
Old 08-10-01, 09:15 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Even if its not for the IS there are several examples of turbo and SC IS's with well over 500 Ponies so like i said faster than a viper!!!!!!
Old 08-10-01, 11:33 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by CarbonIS300
Even if its not for the IS there are several examples of turbo and SC IS's with well over 500 Ponies so like i said faster than a viper!!!!!!
true.

With some internals replaced, I've seen an Altezza with the 2JZ-GTE running 800rwhp. 0-60 mid 3s.
Old 08-11-01, 06:42 PM
RiCeBoY300

Thumbs up IS300 all the way

well im new to clublexus and jus stopin by to read up.i use to want the wrx and got even more wrapped up in it wen i heard about the sti but the is300 is a way better car IMO. cuz the luxury, and it looks a heck of a lot better. and the car has a hell of a lot potential to be a drag killer!! ...........:eek:
Old 08-21-01, 05:44 AM
brads
Driver School Candidate

Default i agree with DisIS300

i talked with all kinds of people who mod the WRX in austrailia, it's not the same car as japan or europe has... we would be real lucky to get a reliable 350HP over here, plus all wheel drive loss,,,

the 2JZ would smash the WRX and take it for a run anywhere except in the dirt...I believe the WRX just isn't the car in many ways, cheap inside, outside, and you would have to make so much more power since it has all wheel drive... I had a fast VR4 here, and it was too damn heavy with the all wheel drive, and the audi's have the same prob, and i'm sure the extra weight of the scooby just wouldn't let it be that fun drivewise

stick to a is300 with a S/C..

Last edited by brads; 08-21-01 at 05:47 AM.
Old 08-21-01, 10:28 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I believe the WRX just isn't the car in many ways, cheap inside, outside, and you would have to make so much more power since it has all wheel drive... I had a fast VR4 here, and it was too damn heavy with the all wheel drive, and the audi's have the same prob, and i'm sure the extra weight of the scooby just wouldn't let it be that fun drivewise
Let's be sensible, fair(NON-BIAS) and have documented facts with our responses before we make them.

Have you heard about a little car call the 911 Turbo???:eek: It has AWD! If I can recall the 90'-98' Eagle Talon/Eclipse strong as hell stock awd cars with mods out the ***.... The VR4/Stealth RT were/are fast cars... It weighs less than the SC, GS, LS and is faster than them all with its "heavy" AWD. So is the S4 Audi with its AWD.

I wish I had an AWD Lexus car... For improved safety and handling.

Back to the original subject... For performance: speed, handling, tuning etc... The WRX is the clear WINNER!(It's faster than every Lexus out there!)

As for the looks and prestige of a brand, obviously your friend likes both cars to debate the two... Price the WRX is the one to get... If Lexus would have brought the IS to the states at a base $24,000 as they promised it would be another thing, it's more about what people will pay...

If I had the choice of an IS3 or a WRX, I'll buy the Lexus. I want to all ways own a Lexus they are great cars...

However, for the answer to the question, I'll pick the WRX.

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 08-21-01 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-21-01, 11:30 AM
MrWigggles
Rookie

I have test driven both cars and the WRX is faster.

I think the main advantage is the 4 wheel drive in WRX.

I turned the traction control off when I drove the IS300 to make sure that it wasn't effecting things.

I like both cars but I think the Subaru is more bang for the buck and being that the IS300 isn't really that luxurious they both have about the same trim level inside.

The only things I didn't like about the WRX was it's obvious turbo lag and the vibration I got through the shifter.

Take the badges off and the WRX is the better car.

Now with the badges on: Lexus earns you some prestidge points and better service at the dealership.

I don't think you can go wrong either way.

-Mr. Wigggles
Old 08-21-01, 12:14 PM
brads
Driver School Candidate

Default scooby

oh well, if your in love with the novelty of driving a 4 cyl thats $30 g's thats cool.. .i drove them both too.. i wanted a WRX too... that is until i went and drove it... it's heavy. overpriced, understyled,/econbox look.. and no one in their right mind will buy it for $30 thou after they see it...

thats why there are about 20 of them still sitting on the lot here...
Old 08-21-01, 01:18 PM
MrWigggles
Rookie

How is it 30K? That is the price it would be with $2K ground effects and $2K leather and then I could easilly get it for 29K loaded.

Slow? This is obviously a relative term.

Heavy? It is 3000 lbs.

Econobox? It is impossible to argue about styling but the is300 isn't all that splendid on the interior either.

Have you driven the IS300 man or auto?

Nevermind.

-Mr. Wigggles
Old 08-21-01, 05:55 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by MrWigggles
How is it 30K? That is the price it would be with $2K ground effects and $2K leather and then I could easily get it for 29K loaded.

Slow? This is obviously a relative term.

Heavy? It is 3000 lbs.

Econobox? It is impossible to argue about styling but the is300 isn't all that splendid on the interior either.

Have you driven the IS300 man or auto?

Nevermind.

-Mr. Wigggles
well the supposed next step up to the IS300 is the BMW 330I and I have to say I drove both of them wanted the BMW because I wanted a German Car after it the German Car thing wore off I test drove them again and Bout the IS the IS is a little Sportier inside and out and the IS looks better then the 330I if you want to get the ultimate best bang for the buck it would have to be an M3 and for $45K Base(not to mention you couldn't even find a base model if you where God) and that car looks better then the IS 300 but For that price you could not only make your IS Faster then a Viper Venom 800 you could make it look nicer then the M3 I recently saw a dyno for the IS with over 800 rwhp that's F---in amazing

So I guess the moral of this story is the WRX can't touch this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-21-01, 09:09 PM
MrWigggles
Rookie

This conversation has degraded and digressed...

I mean, If we want to talk about cheap power, how 'bout a stripped down late 60's dodge with open headers and a six pack carb. Mo' power than even the Duke boys would know what to do with.

And if we want to talk about non-street legal cars, I'm sure the million time world ralley champion race prep'ed WRX would hold its own quite well.

To each his own...

-Mr. Wigggles
Old 08-22-01, 06:11 PM
CarbonIS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by CarbonIS300

well the supposed next step up to the IS300 is the BMW 330I and I have to say I drove both of them wanted the BMW because I wanted a German Car after it the German Car thing wore off I test drove them again and Bout the IS the IS is a little Sportier inside and out and the IS looks better then the 330I if you want to get the ultimate best bang for the buck it would have to be an M3 and for $45K Base(not to mention you couldn't even find a base model if you where God) and that car looks better then the IS 300 but For that price you could not only make your IS Faster then a Viper Venom 800 you could make it look nicer then the M3 I recently saw a dyno for the IS with over 800 rwhp that's F---in amazing

So I guess the moral of this story is the WRX can't touch this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree this conversation is getting pretty sour

still if you want to go to the race track and pick up cars i'm sure you find that the IS or Altezza in race trim will smoke any WRX on Pavement!!! key Word Pavement!
Old 08-22-01, 08:01 PM
MrWigggles
Rookie

You shall have the last word... this time, Obi Wan.

Once again, they are both great cars.

-Mr. Wigggles

Quick Reply: Subaru WRX vs. Lexus IS 300 (5 speed)