Newbie introduction

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-05, 07:11 AM
DingDingDao
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie introduction

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while, but I finally bit the bullet and joined the forums (and said goodbye to my normal life--just kidding). My fiancee is the proud and happy owner of a 2004 crystal white IS300 (sportshift). Currently, the car has an L-Sportline exhaust, grounding kit, and clear side markers (small stuff), but FI may be an option in the future.

As for me, I currently own a 1998 Audi A4 with extensive mods (body kit, SSR comps, H&R coilovers, full Eclipse audio system, intake, exhaust, etc. etc.). That car is on its way out, though, as I will be purchasing an IS350 next year

Just wanted to drop everyone a little intro of myself--I know the forums will provide hours of entertainment for years to come
Old 08-23-05, 08:02 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CL.

The Audi sounds pretty nice, but the IS350 sounds like an awesome car too.

Let us know your comparisons once you make the switch. I've heard from former BMW owners switching to Lexus, but haven't heard any comparisons on the Audi to Lexus owner experience.

Are you NorCal or SoCal?

Be sure to post in the local forums for regional specific questions.
Old 08-23-05, 08:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Welcome to CL.. You know you have to post pics right The IS is a great car.... You already have the mod bug which is great.... Good Luck.

Tony
Old 08-23-05, 08:40 AM
DingDingDao
Rookie

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Welcome to CL.

The Audi sounds pretty nice, but the IS350 sounds like an awesome car too.

Let us know your comparisons once you make the switch. I've heard from former BMW owners switching to Lexus, but haven't heard any comparisons on the Audi to Lexus owner experience.

Are you NorCal or SoCal?

Be sure to post in the local forums for regional specific questions.
I'm SoCal - Pasadena, specifically, although I'm on westside a lot (I'm a grad student at UCLA). As for the switch, it's definitely interesting. The interior build quality in my fiancee's IS is really, really good, but the Audi's interior is great too (Audi's interiors are the best of the euroboxes, IMO). My sister has a B6 A4 (2003, I believe), and it's really great, too. That being said, having owned my A4 for the longest, I can tell you now that maintenance after the 3/50K is just too expensive. CV boots--$900. Timing belt/water pump--$1400. The bushings on the upper control arms are going, so I'm going to have to do those if they don't hold out until next year, which will run me another $1000. I'm telling you, you Lexus guys have it really, really good--bombproof 2JZ, Toyota reliability on the drivetrain, reasonable maintenance costs. I won't even mention how much more affordable it is to modify. It's part of the reason I'm switching next year. The 2nd gen IS looks fabulous, and the new engine is a masterpiece. My main concern will be handling, but I'm definitely looking forward to moving into a RWD car (more fun to drive, IMO).

I'm not terribly concerned, but I wonder about the future upgradability of the new 3.5L V6. With such a high compression ratio, I don't know how much more power can be gleaned from this engine. I figure an intake/exhaust combo will push output to maybe 320 or so, but beyond that, FI is going to be very difficult--probably requiring new pistons and other such work.

Overall, though, I'd have to say that Lexus provides much, much more product for the money, and I frankly don't give two ****s about the image that driving a euro car is supposed to provide (I guess that doesn't make me very L.A., does it?) :P
Old 08-23-05, 08:43 AM
DingDingDao
Rookie

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Welcome to CL.. You know you have to post pics right The IS is a great car.... You already have the mod bug which is great.... Good Luck.

Tony
Thanks, I'm looking forward to learning a lot on this forum. At this point I have to decide whether to throw my modding money into my fiancee's IS300 or save it for mods on the new IS350
Old 08-23-05, 09:05 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DingDingDo
Thanks, I'm looking forward to learning a lot on this forum. At this point I have to decide whether to throw my modding money into my fiancee's IS300 or save it for mods on the new IS350

Well if you read about all the work I do to my wifey's IS (INDGOGRL) you'll see where my money went !

Need to do more mods on my GS soon !
Old 08-23-05, 11:03 AM
tzu911
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tmf2004

Tony

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hall-of-fame-and-voting-booth/92034-pic-of-you-and-your-wife-girlfriend-significant-other.html

Welcome
Old 08-23-05, 11:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

welcome ding ding. so you are in west LA huh? nice. i was a graduate student at ucla too, go bruin!

if you see a blue gs400 or white sc430 around there, it could be me (or my wife)
Old 08-23-05, 11:25 AM
DingDingDao
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
welcome ding ding. so you are in west LA huh? nice. i was a graduate student at ucla too, go bruin!

if you see a blue gs400 or white sc430 around there, it could be me (or my wife)
Hey cool, what did you study in grad school? I'm doing MS in Physiological Science (2nd year)...
Old 08-23-05, 11:36 AM
chicagoblknazn
Lead Lap

Welcome to the family!!!

I love the screenname......what's the story behind it?
Old 08-23-05, 11:57 AM
DingDingDao
Rookie

Originally Posted by chicagoblknazn
Welcome to the family!!!

I love the screenname......what's the story behind it?
My college roomie used to call me that when I beat him at Madden
Old 08-23-05, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by DingDingDo
Hey cool, what did you study in grad school? I'm doing MS in Physiological Science (2nd year)...
i was in EE MS program, but it was 4 yrs ago already. i now live in norcal, but i go down to socal coz' my wife is there. so you should see me around. post pics of the car so i know it's you when i see it i don't go to UCLA as often anymore (cops are *** sometimes over there on modded cars) though
Old 08-23-05, 11:04 PM
BlueISgurl
Driver School Candidate

Im new to the CL forums as well. I just bought a 2002 IS300. Its been repainted, matching eyelids, tint, and a few interior mods. I love it!

Just thought i would stop in and introduce myself I would also like to mention i AM a girl and i DO work at Lexus of Seattle as a tech in training (NO! i dont just do lube jobs lol). Its alot of fun and i love these cars
Old 08-24-05, 12:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by BlueISgurl
Im new to the CL forums as well. I just bought a 2002 IS300. Its been repainted, matching eyelids, tint, and a few interior mods. I love it!

Just thought i would stop in and introduce myself I would also like to mention i AM a girl and i DO work at Lexus of Seattle as a tech in training (NO! i dont just do lube jobs lol). Its alot of fun and i love these cars
well as a rule here all gals have to show pics of themselves not their cars, so you know what to do now

welcome to clublexus!
Old 08-24-05, 07:50 AM
MSM_IS300
Rookie

Welcome to CL.

Quick Reply: Newbie introduction