IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

i raced a new m3

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-01, 11:47 PM
scoot557
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im skeptical of that....my friend has a brand new 530 with the manu-matic shift....maybe its not the same as the M3 one, but its definitely not as good as a manual...it doesn't let u keep redlines/undergear(not that you would want to)....i dunno if its the same manumatic that comes with the M3 though....just my 2¢
Old 07-01-01, 12:24 AM
Risk3233
Driver

A sequential gear box is totally different from manu-matic.
Old 07-01-01, 08:49 AM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

Default M3....yaah, give me break 85K !

I give respect to BMW engineers, the M3 kicks asphalt ! But when I was shopping for a new car I test drove the Lexus IS 300 (by far the best), Acura TL-S, Mercedes C Class, and some BMW...it was like 40 grand once I had similar equipment found on the IS....plus the guy was such a d#*k....I would never buy a BMW, just for the attitudes at dealerships.....furhermore, what's the rule with BMW's buy new, and sell after warranty is expired, I am probably just making that up, but many, many previous BMW owners have told me....what a friggin' nightmare service is...
Old 07-01-01, 11:35 PM
edawg
Pole Position

Thumbs down BMW M3

yeah they are fast but for me i liek my IS way better just because of the looks....and sure the m3 is faster but if you see the link that faruiza posted..believe me you wont want to go fast.....and besides a turbo or supercharger will handle the m3....
Old 07-02-01, 12:10 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by dpatterson069
have you guys seen the sequsntial manual transmission BMW M3???? ( the auto matic one)
it has a shifter that looks exactly like a stick, and it acts the same too!! AND NO CLUTCH!!! i talked to a BMW person who said that it will perform the same and even better than a MANUAL stick!!! how crazy is that?!?!?!?
that's called the SMG (Sequential M Gearbox), basically a sequential shifter, but unlike many so-called "sportshift" these days, SMG is really a MANUAL transmission with electronic controls. Yes it's better than manual, because it's actually very smart. Anything you do with a manual, you can do 100% on SMG.

It was offered on European E36 M3s, I believe the last 2 years, like 98 and 99. They might add that to the M3 in 1 year or 2, and should be coming to the US models also. The only thing that can be compared to this is the F1matic on the 360 modena.
Old 07-03-01, 10:45 AM
eortiz
Rookie

As everyone knows, an M# will leave an IS300 in the dust (when stcok). But tune the IS 300 and it will beat an M3 anytime. Also, as some of the BMW owners say, BMW stands for (Buy More Warranty). It goes to the dealer for repairs more than you probably can drive it. That's why the resale value of a BMW (the same goes for any European car) is so low compared to any Japanese cars. IMO, never buy a European car.
Old 07-03-01, 12:40 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by eortiz
As everyone knows, an M# will leave an IS300 in the dust (when stcok). But tune the IS 300 and it will beat an M3 anytime. Also, as some of the BMW owners say, BMW stands for (Buy More Warranty). It goes to the dealer for repairs more than you probably can drive it. That's why the resale value of a BMW (the same goes for any European car) is so low compared to any Japanese cars. IMO, never buy a European car.
well said.

That's a big reason I lost faith in European cars. American cars brought me enough trouble, and I thought for sure I was going to get an European car like BMW or Mercedes.

Turns out Japanese cars (especially Lexus) is really top notch!
Old 07-03-01, 05:56 PM
haveboost
Rookie

Well guys I would love to agree with you, being an IS owner. But a buddy of mine has a new M3, and let me tell you, you need to have more than "Tune your IS". I don't think not even a 75 shot of nitrous with other mods will catch that car. You need a serious turbo kit or a REALLY serious supercharger. Beleive me I would love to spank him, but I would need to invest at least 10 grand. And if I'm gonna do that, I'll go buy one instead.

Old 07-05-01, 08:00 AM
eortiz
Rookie

Like you said, to beat an M# you have to invest a lot of money. I got my IS300 for 32K OTD (fully loaded) so if I add, say 20K for mods, that's 52K. That leaves me a couple of more K's to blast my ears with a very nice sound system while looking at an M3 in my rear view mirror. I might sound one sided but it's just a fact that BMW's are too expensive and not worth the headache you'l get to keep them running. Just my 2 cents. Cheers!
Old 07-07-01, 04:05 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

The new C36 is bad ***...349hp from a supercharged 6...I think I'd opt for the C36 thing list as there aren't many being built...plus, you know that Brabus, Carlsson, or Lorinser will come out with a "tuning" kit for the supercharger to give you some more HP and Torque...if you get on the list, you won't pay more than MSRP.

I don't trust BMW's reliability...they're not known for making solid cars...just well handling, good looking ones (and in the case of the M series, fast ones)...

Old 07-07-01, 06:56 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Originally posted by haveboost
Defenitely!!

But don't try it with a supercharger, unless you are running a stage 4 or 5.

That's why I always would put my money on the turbo
Or an Area 51 Stage 1 Supercharger Read my thread in the Racing stories

https://www.clublexus.com/vb/showthr...threadid=17577
Old 07-07-01, 08:38 PM
haveboost
Rookie

I'm sure it felt good. But I'm also sure of this, either he did not know how to drive(which is the case 50% of the time) or something was wrong with that car. There's no way, your car or mine could keep up with a new M3. (unless your using a power adder) I know for a fact! Think about it! The new M3 runs 13's our cars @ best with mods high 14's. The M3 was probably playing with you. But I could understand why it feels good
Old 07-07-01, 08:42 PM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

Dude... I have a freakin supercharger on my car Trust me.. he WAS NOT playing with me. Unless playing with me involves spinning tires off the line and chirping into 2nd gear.
Old 07-08-01, 12:30 AM
eortiz
Rookie

Reeading your story makes me really wonder what happened. Not that I don't believe you but it's just hard to accept it if it's the truth. Can you give us some dyno runs on your car? Because if this is true I'd definitely get an Area 51 S/C. My ulitmate goal...... leave an M3 in the dust
Old 07-08-01, 01:58 AM
Black_IS300
Pole Position

I dynoed at 250 rear wheel hp and 237 rear wheel torque. They had to remove the air filter because to hook up the lambda sensor (measure air/fuel ratio while tuning) and the filter was in the way. Because if this I was basically sucking in hot air straight from my headers so the numbers were lower than they would be when its all put together. I will post my dyno chart soon... the curve was very impressive. Ive also done things for additional power after that dyno session... where I could tell the difference. I will have a new dyno session soon but I would think I gained another 10-15 rear wheel hp. If my car dynoed at 265 to the wheels then that would translate to roughly 323 hp to the flywheel. The new M3 weighs about 3400lbs with 333hp and my IS300 is about 3200lbs with 323hp. With a A51 stage 1 supercharger you WILL NOT beat an M3. You will be hanging with it for sure though... Head to head... Go to stage 2 and you can say goodbye to the M3

Quick Reply: i raced a new m3