IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Bad Gas Mileage??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-01, 11:47 AM
vlad_a

Default IS300.net archive

Allright, got something off IS300.net archive that may explain the rich fuel setup that is being adjusted by the override:

Originally posted by God:
Actually all cars are tuned rich, not just Toyotas. Just a safety margin built in from the factory to avoid warranty claims. Running a little rich doesn't harm anything and helps keep the combustion chamber cool which is more 87 octane friendly.
As far as the V-AFC, you can use it on any VVTL-i motor but unlike the new Celica, the IS does not have a high lift cam profile, it only adjusts the cam timing is all and is constantly variable. V-AFC won't do anything more than an S-AFC. You CAN go for the S-AFC to take out some fuel. We see a good 6-7 whp on Hondas from leaning out the fuel curve usually. With a higher output motor like the 2JZ, more power is probably ottainable. Just to give you an example of how rich cars are, I have NEVER seen a car with bolt ons that benefitted form increasing fuel.
Old 07-06-01, 12:47 PM
Mike D
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Cough it up Rubley

Well rubley can you tell us (or me at least) what an intake does that increases the HP of a car? I was one of those kids who constantly asked WHY? and HOW? when I was a kid and now I'm starting again since I got my IS.
Old 07-06-01, 10:01 PM
rubley

Default Re: Cough it up Rubley

Originally posted by Mike D
Well rubley can you tell us (or me at least) what an intake does that increases the HP of a car? I was one of those kids who constantly asked WHY? and HOW? when I was a kid and now I'm starting again since I got my IS.
The small horsepower increase from using a high flow intake is a function of the amount of air that the engine is able to draw in through the filter. The engine uses the vacuum created by the piston on the down stroke to draw in air. The air filter restricts the flow of air into the engine. Normally the pressure of the air drawn into the engine is less than the outside ambient pressure, approximately 14.7 PSI at sea level. So normally the air pressure in the cylinder (before the upstroke) is something less than that (maybe 13 PSI - pulled that number outta my butt, someone else might know a better number). If a higher flow intake is used, the pressure will be closer to ambient. A higher initial pressure will generate more horsepower (this is the idea behind a turbo/supercharger).