Bad Gas Mileage??

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-01, 10:08 PM
TNguyenIS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dpatterson069
[B]hey everyone...
when i first got my car, i was getting about 210-220 miles a tank!!! WITH NO HARD DRIVING!!!
now, i can get around 240-250 with some occasional hard driving...both these are FULL fill ups!!! (start of empty light)..

I can easily get up to 300 miles/tank for HARD Driving (Trac off and Power on, quick take off, shift at 4.5-5K RPM for 1st and 2nd gear, ...ect..) Not to mention, I never let the tank empty all the way, always refill way before it point to E (Empty).

I don't know if it have anything to do with your VIN #, but my car was born in April/01 and also NOT on the list for ECU/Trac upgrade (Reflash). It has been a blashing two weeks (trouble free!!!!) since I bought it, currently at 1,475 Miles (Average 100 miles/day). Never regret to buy IS300 (a month ago, I was debating between IS300 vs. TypeS and A4).....

Happy camper !!!!!

BTW-Cleveland BP Premium gas (93 Octane) is currently at $1.35 for today !!!! WOOHOO !!!

Last edited by TNguyenIS300; 06-29-01 at 10:14 PM.
Old 06-30-01, 07:06 AM
vlad_a

With hard driving all the time, I end up getting around 280 miles per tank. On long trips, I'm getting 350.
Old 07-04-01, 05:29 PM
rubley

Originally posted by vlad_a
As far as I know, IS300 has an overrdrive gear - 5.
4th is the direct 1:1 ratio.
The 3K rpm on highway was done on purpose so the car would have a better response.
It's a sports car, not a cruiser.
Of course, I would prefer to have 6Spd manual to have the 6th gear for cruising.
Well, when you spend close to 40K (in my case) on a car, you should be able to afford poor gas mileage.
I knew what I was getting into when I bought the car.

I was getting 22-24 MPG on long trips (80-90MPH). That is with SRT intake, which increases gas mileage.

The SRT intake will have little effect on gas mileage. I took a trip up to Penn. from VA doing 70-115 MPH (climbing mountains) and I got 23 MPG. If you watch the MPG gauge (I know it's not a precision instrument) you will see that it reads 23 regardless of speed. 23 MPG at 40 MPH, 23 MPG at 90 MPH. The gearing is what kills the mileage, short of adding a 6th gear, nothing will improve the mileage.
Old 07-04-01, 05:57 PM
mjdart
Driver

Default MPG guage

Is that gauge just looking at engine vacuum? We used to put vacuum guages on our cars in the late '60's and they essentially did the same thing thats why I'm wondering.
Old 07-04-01, 09:06 PM
rubley

Default Re: MPG guage

Originally posted by mjdart
Is that gauge just looking at engine vacuum? We used to put vacuum guages on our cars in the late '60's and they essentially did the same thing thats why I'm wondering.
I have no idea what it's actually based on. On my buddy's M3 he can see the instantaneous fuel flow, but I don't know how Lexus is measuring/calculating MPG. Maybe someone else knows?
Old 07-05-01, 06:08 AM
Mike D
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Just filled up...

Originally posted by Izzy300
I just filled up with my first own tank of gas. (This is after the dealer filling it up when I bought it.) Talk about good timing, gas is so cheap right now! Filled up with premium at 1.31 per gallon at a Texaco. I saw a station that had regular unleaded for 1.12, the only thing that has made me miss my civic so far. I could fill that sucker up with $10, the IS cost me about $19 to fill up. I calculated my milage and got 19mpg for that last tank, which I don't think is too bad.
I hate the east coast. I'm paying 1.89 to 2.01 for preimum right now and I have been since I bought my IS. I used to drive a Jeep and 89 was all I needed. Damn middle east driving up the prices on us. Hey Izzy can you ship me a couple hundred gallons?
Old 07-05-01, 11:12 AM
marke1
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by rubley

The SRT intake will have little effect on gas mileage. I took a trip up to Penn. from VA doing 70-115 MPH (climbing mountains) and I got 23 MPG. If you watch the MPG gauge (I know it's not a precision instrument) you will see that it reads 23 regardless of speed. 23 MPG at 40 MPH, 23 MPG at 90 MPH. The gearing is what kills the mileage, short of adding a 6th gear, nothing will improve the mileage.
I doubted the claims that the SRT would get better gas mileage. But since I installed it, I have consistently gotten 1 to 1 1/2 MPG better. I have tried to drive consistently with my driving prior to the install to eliminate any variables. In fact, with the SRT, I am more apt to stomp on the gas
Old 07-05-01, 11:36 AM
vlad_a

SRT Intake does improve mileage. I noticed 1-2 MPG gain too.
It has the ECU override which re-adjusts air-fuel ratio for more optimal performance, which affects the overall MPG.
Old 07-05-01, 02:31 PM
Eaglecomm
Driver School Candidate

If I drive full highway on an entire tank, I get about 26 mpg. Around town I get about 19 mpg. That is always using Premium gas. I used regular once and I got horrible mileage..like 15 mpg. So it was worth the money to up it to Supreme and for the betterment of the engine!
Old 07-05-01, 03:54 PM
RadarB8
Driver School Candidate

I drive 100 miles a day. I have approx. 5000 miles on my IS. I went 380 miles last week and when I filled up I put 15.5 gallons in. Thats 24.5 MPG. I drive 95% highway @ 80MPH.
Old 07-05-01, 06:49 PM
rubley

SRT Intake does improve mileage. I noticed 1-2 MPG gain too.
It has the ECU override which re-adjusts air-fuel ratio for more optimal performance, which affects the overall MPG.
The add-on ECU is probably causing the engine to run a little leaner than it is supposed to (therefore increasing mileage). Is it good idea to run it leaner than the way Lexus programmed it? dunno...
Old 07-05-01, 08:44 PM
vlad_a

The add-on ECU is probably causing the engine to run a little leaner than it is supposed to (therefore increasing mileage). Is it good idea to run it leaner than the way Lexus programmed it? dunno...
Because of the Intake, the air is more dense, so the adjustment is needed.
Old 07-06-01, 08:05 AM
rubley

Because of the Intake, the air is more dense, so the adjustment is needed.
An intake _cannot_ make air more dense, and before you come up with some explanation you should know I have a degree in aerospace engineering and I have designed a wind tunnel.
Old 07-06-01, 08:21 AM
vlad_a

An intake _cannot_ make air more dense, and before you come up with some explanation you should know I have a degree in aerospace engineering and I have designed a wind tunnel.
I'm just relaying what I read from people I thought knew about this stuff.
Old 07-06-01, 08:33 AM
SeattleSheila
Rookie

I kept my mouth shut, 'cause that seemed logical, but I don't have a degree in aerospace engineering and I didn't want to show my ignorance in case I was wrong.

Quick Reply: Bad Gas Mileage??