IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

I Want My Engine To Rev Faster!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-05, 12:18 AM
roxster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Want My Engine To Rev Faster!!!!!

hi, i wonder if you can possibly modify the is300 2jz-ge engine to rev like a honda vtec engine. my is3 revs pretty slow. it feels like it is lagging. it's fast though when the hp kicks in after 3000rpm. but i want to play it like a honda car. any suggestions? please post
Old 06-25-05, 01:02 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

The 2JZ won't rev like a Honda VTEC motor because the 2JZ is designed as a broad hp, torquey inline 6 cylinder engine, not a 4cylinder w/no torque but peak power in the high end nearest redline. The 2JZ-GE is a great motor with a very wide powerband. You don't need to rev it up to it's redline just to get horsepower. Because VVT-i is continuously variable in the 2JZ, you won't have the VTEC(low to high cam gear phase) kick in the high rpms. If you wanted something that peaky, you should have looked into a 4cylinder vehicle like the RSX, TSX, Civic and etc or even the high revving 2ZZ-GE 1.8L VVTL-i found in the Celica GTS, Corolla XRS and the Matrix XRS. The IS300 is the wrong car w/the wrong engine foryou if you want it to rev faster.

Last edited by flipside909; 06-25-05 at 01:07 AM.
Old 06-25-05, 02:08 AM
roxster
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by flipside909
The 2JZ won't rev like a Honda VTEC motor because the 2JZ is designed as a broad hp, torquey inline 6 cylinder engine, not a 4cylinder w/no torque but peak power in the high end nearest redline. The 2JZ-GE is a great motor with a very wide powerband. You don't need to rev it up to it's redline just to get horsepower. Because VVT-i is continuously variable in the 2JZ, you won't have the VTEC(low to high cam gear phase) kick in the high rpms. If you wanted something that peaky, you should have looked into a 4cylinder vehicle like the RSX, TSX, Civic and etc or even the high revving 2ZZ-GE 1.8L VVTL-i found in the Celica GTS, Corolla XRS and the Matrix XRS. The IS300 is the wrong car w/the wrong engine foryou if you want it to rev faster.

oh thanks. no, i love my is300. i used to drive an integra with an engine swap. i thought that was fast but comparing to is300 it was nothing. but the only one thing i liked about honda engine is that i can play with the engine rev before i start in first gear. that's all. i'm adding an intake into the car very soon. would it make a big difference in driving? i don't believe in gaining in hp. and i bought a type R spoiler to modify it onto the is300. it looks really good. i tested it earelier. does a spoiler on a rwd car make a difference? since the weight distribution of this car is around 46/54? at higher speed the spoiler would tend to push the car down and in that case would it affect the balance on the front?
Old 06-25-05, 08:45 AM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roxster
.....and i bought a type R spoiler to modify it onto the is300.
What has the world come to?
Old 06-25-05, 08:58 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 229 Likes on 173 Posts

haha, i read that and thought the same thng Sinister, to each his own however, without pics this thread is

If it looks good, so be it, but a type R spoiler on an IS, i just cant see it mentally.
Old 06-25-05, 10:13 AM
TTile
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roxster
oh thanks. no, i love my is300. i used to drive an integra with an engine swap. i thought that was fast but comparing to is300 it was nothing. but the only one thing i liked about honda engine is that i can play with the engine rev before i start in first gear. that's all. i'm adding an intake into the car very soon. would it make a big difference in driving? i don't believe in gaining in hp. and i bought a type R spoiler to modify it onto the is300. it looks really good. i tested it earelier. does a spoiler on a rwd car make a difference? since the weight distribution of this car is around 46/54? at higher speed the spoiler would tend to push the car down and in that case would it affect the balance on the front?
The car's weight will shift to the back wheels anyways while accelerating. Are you worried that the spoiler will lift even more weight off the back and cause understeer during hard acceleration around a turn? Is you purpose for adding the spoiler to correct oversteer?
Old 06-26-05, 12:56 PM
isman
Pole Position

If you want the car to rev faster, there are some basic things you could do. If you have manual tranny, then get a lighter flywheel. Also, you can do a port/polish head work, and do cams, valves, springs, retainers, and larger throttle body. All of this will help you raise your rpm-redline, and help with the revs. Along with boost.

The Type R wing on the IS is a no no (imo).
Old 06-26-05, 10:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you change the rear end of the car the car will rev faster, but you lose the top end speed
Old 06-27-05, 12:34 AM
roxster
Driver School Candidate

i'll post some pics of my car at my wasaga beach trip next wk. the type R spoiler should be on the car by then. hope it'll look good .
Old 08-19-10, 02:14 AM
EDTUN3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flipside909
Id have to disagree with you, Best Bet is getting the 4cyl engine that comes in a IS200(Altezza) that motor can take revs much like a Honda Vtec, and you'll have the 6spd in with that, if you want your 2j to rev quicker just boost it, you'll see that needle turn quick
Old 08-19-10, 09:06 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^why are you disagreeing with a post from 5 YEARS AGO
Old 08-19-10, 09:21 AM
shhhua
Lead Lap

This is the second thread that is over a year old that edtuner bumped lol.
Old 08-21-10, 12:37 AM
EDTUN3R
Lead Lap

Is There Problems with Threads being Bumped??? If that was the case then why arent these threads deleted? Honestly
Old 08-23-10, 07:40 AM
UNOHOO

Originally Posted by shhhua
This is the second thread that is over a year old that edtuner bumped lol.
he must be used to the guys on my.is
Old 08-23-10, 08:38 AM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by edtuner
Is There Problems with Threads being Bumped??? If that was the case then why arent these threads deleted? Honestly
old threads can be used as a reference

Quick Reply: I Want My Engine To Rev Faster!!!!!