IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

I might give up my IS for a Celica GT--read why

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-01, 04:52 PM
Wing Zero

Unhappy

I just got my IS a week ago and put on 600km. I am living at home and can easily pay for it while I am home. But I just realized that I am stuck living at home until this car is paid. Which will be 4yrs from now, unless I get a job that pays alot more that what I am making now. I know I should have thought of that before I bought it.

Now I don't really wanna move out until 2 yrs from now. What I can do is get a Celica GT and get it paid off in 2yrs or make it 4yrs with really low monthly payments.

I'm 23 and I can put up with my parents for now but I can't forever. Sometimes I just wanna leave right away. Theres no privacy in my house and I have to put up with my dad telling me about how important it is that I get a masters degree. I don't want a freakin masters degree! But with the IS, my hands are tied and I can't leave. With a Celica, I can get up and go whenever I please, assuming I go with the 4yr (really low payments) plan.

What would you guys do? Do you think the dealership will let me switch over? The dealership is both a lexus and toyota dealership.
Old 06-26-01, 04:59 PM
vlad_a

I would keep the IS.
If you wanted to switch, you would loose a ton of money. Think about it, the IS payments are not that far away from Celica (GT-S, not GT.) What you could do, though, is get a room-mate so you'll be able to live on your own and keep the IS.

P.S.
Test drive the Celica, and you'll know which car you want. Heh heh.
Old 06-26-01, 05:42 PM
SeattleSheila
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm...my head says you bit off more than you could chew when you go the IS300, but you'd lose a LOT of money trading it in now. The dealer will see you coming on that deal.

I'm with Vlad...take your time looking for a roommate and move out when the timing is right. Then, get your own place when the car is paid for. In the meantime, look for a better paying job and pay extra on the car each month so you can get rid of the payments sooner.

Oh, and the "freakin" master's degree is no use until (and if) you are ready to dedicate yourself to doing it. No sense in your Dad pushing. Anyway, maybe you can get a job where the company will help pay for it!
Old 06-26-01, 06:04 PM
Herzog
Driver School Candidate

Ohhhhh Man, I've been at this position before 2 years ago, & it sucks! It was summer "99" I wanted to trade in my "92" SC300 for a used "99" GS300 with 7,000 miles. Anyhow, I bought the car on Impulse(Never buy on Impulse!) & man,it was the biggest mistake of my life. My car payment went from $300 m/ to $700 m/ YIKES! I could afford it since I owned an appartment with a friend(rent free), but it really hurt me knowing that when I'd go get approved for a Mortgage on my own Investment property, that this monthly payment was not looking good on my monthly bills. I pretty much got rid of the car in about 3 months on a private sale and I lost my shirt...With taxes & all about $9 G's total. I hate to even think about it.. Anyhow, I ended up buying an old Nissan Maxima(Which I still drive today) to catch up on the mistake of a lifetime.No car payments have been great. I'm planning on getting the "2003"IS300 when it's released. I trying to be patient, it's Very tough going from a Lexus to an old car...... Damn, well.........That's my SOB story, but I'm back on track!
Old 06-26-01, 06:07 PM
VVTIS
Driver

I had the same feeling about my IS a while back, I was considering trading it for a cheaper car. I was interested in a WRX or a Type R so it would be a bit quicker and mo. payments would be less. I later looked at my car in the driveway and decided not to! I love the IS, sure I will live at home while in school, but I am alright with that, as long as I have my SBM!
Old 06-26-01, 08:12 PM
Wing Zero

Unhappy

I've only had the car for a week. Is the dealership seriously gonna rape me?

I don't want to move out right away. I just don't like the thought of having my hands tied like this. I just want the peace of mind knowing that I have all the freedom in the world.
Old 06-26-01, 08:34 PM
DtEW

Wink

Originally posted by Wing Zero
I've only had the car for a week. Is the dealership seriously gonna rape me?
Yes.

Originally posted by Wing Zero
I don't want to move out right away. I just don't like the thought of having my hands tied like this. I just want the peace of mind knowing that I have all the freedom in the world.
Hehe, the whole idea about growing up is deriving peace of mind from being tied up, i.e. getting married, investing in a homestead, having kids, etc. If you're having problems having been just "tied up" for a week, then let me be the first to offer the big "Uh oh."
Old 06-26-01, 09:15 PM
shinto
Driver School Candidate

dude, im in the same position as you. well, i bought the IS and then moved out. i mean i make alright money, enuff to get by, but i spend way too much. i cant have as much fun as i did when i lived at home. i suggest you make a budget and forecast what you will be making and spending, that way you know what to expect. so far im doing ok, but i hate staying home when my friends go out cuz i dont have money. but id rather stay home with the IS then go out and get drunk every once and a while. just make a budget and you will see what you should do.
Old 06-26-01, 10:29 PM
BigAzn
Driver School Candidate

im either thinking about an 02' IS300 or a 02' Celica GT-S with TRD stuff... I live in arkansas, and the nearest lexus dealers are an hour or 2 away.. tulsa, and springfield, MO and a toyota dealer is about 20 minutes away.. i still have about 5-6 months or... until i sell my old car to buy an IS or GTS... right now .. i drive a '99 Isuzu Vehicross with a sound system.. how much do you think a 02' IS will cost? do you guys recommend the IS for like daily commuting and the sports driving i guess..??
Old 06-27-01, 05:20 AM
Herzog
Driver School Candidate

Wing Zero, If you can deal with living at home & sporting the IS300 for another 2 years, i'd do it. If you try to go trade in your wheels, even if you downgrade to a Celica, you might as well walk in with your pants down. Yes, you will lose alot of money & it will take you a while to catch up to what you lost.... Hold on for at least 2 years & enjoy the depreciation of the car instead of someone else doing it. Two years,you can do it no problem.Just my opinion.........Good Luck!
Old 06-27-01, 07:13 AM
Wing Zero

Its just my dad. He doesn't like my friends and he doesn't want me to have a girlfriend. He's not stopping me from being with them, its just that he clearly doesn't want them in the house. I hate the fact that I can't have my friends or girlfriend over.

He thinks I should be concentrating on my career and nothing more. While I agree that my career should be one of my top priorities, there are other things I want to do as well, like have fun. My girl is one of the greatest things to ever happen to me and I don't feel like giving her up to make my dad happy. He hasn't met her yet and doesn't know that she is actually a really sweet person, and my dad would probably like her as a person. His problem would be that he thinks that she would detract me from my career. I don't see how she would do that. Its not like I spend every waking minute thinking about her.
My career and my financial situation are definitely taking up as much of my thoughts as she is, but he is too narrow minded to know that or too even listen to me.

I love my IS and I think its great, but knowing that my father couldn't control me would be even greater.
Old 06-27-01, 08:57 AM
SeattleSheila
Rookie

Wing Zero...sounds like it's either counseling time (Dad and you being FORCED to listen to one another in a controlled atmosphere) or time to get a roommate and a place of your own. You aren't ROWDY in the house with your friends, are you? Some folks just can't stand any noise once they reach a certain age. I can understand that your parents may not appreciate you entertaining a young lady in the house overnight, but I can't imagine a parent expecting a grown person not to have any social life at all. Doesn't he trust you? Have you told him what your ambitions are in life or what you are trying to learn and discover so that you can plan your life? Maybe he thinks you don't have any plans... Is he the kind of guy who's trying to live out his dreams through his kids? Are you the only child?

Anyway, if you have to get rid of the IS300, sell it yourself. The dealer is not your friend in this.
Old 06-27-01, 09:19 AM
junedog

Default Re: yikes

Originally posted by lebowski
Sounds like moving out is what you have to do. I'd take the loss on the IS if it meant living in hell for 4 years... A phat car is a phat car, but more often than not, it'll be gone and replaced in a few years. Can you really imagine being 27(?) and living at home still because you wanted a phat car? That's just crazy man! I did the complete oposite of you, and 2 weeks out of college moved out... drove my civic until I could affor a new car, (1.5 years) THEN got the IS.
I'd happily drive my '95 civic again, if it gave me the freedom I have now... and I might have to sell my IS now too, since I just bought an apt. and don't want to kill myself paying for both... it's a tough to swallow, but I'll do it if I have to.
I agree with s0yb0mb...er...lebowski. It's just a car. Plus the Celica is a fun car. Not as powerful, but fun and it has some zip to it. I'd look at finding a roomie, then if that doesn't work, sell the IS.

(p.s. vlad_a, the Celica GT-S is a pretty good track car as far as handling is concerned...)
Old 06-27-01, 09:26 AM
TRD328
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What i can sya is that U only get one dad in this lifetime, and u can get as many gf as you want.
Coming from a traditional family, parents is a top priority, they are the ones they gave life and fed you thru the 23years. Imagine the payment per month they put on ya. Im sure an extra 4 yrs at home won't kill ya.

By staying at home you can not only save money and pay of the loan, but also find ways to develop a better relationship with ur father. If you leave now, u and ur father would grow more distant and hte problem would never be solved.

My parents don't like me dating as well (22 yrs old) but they do not object to my gf. The best way to make them like ur gf is to bring her home for dinner. Humour ur father and Im sure he'll finally compromise once he sees how good ur gf is. That's what I've done. I often go to my gf's place for dinner and vice versa... getting to know the others parents is the best way!
Old 06-27-01, 09:35 AM
eortiz
Rookie

In my opinion, I think you should go with what you think will make you happy. I was a son too before and as I was told by my Dad "if you don't want to follow my rules, you can move out anytime". I think he's right. It's his house, he pays for the mortgage and provides food on the table. If you can't live with that then I suggest that you live the house. Another food for thought (from my father too fo course). "If you do not have any money, sit in one corner and you won't have a problem". Meaning, live within your means and you'll be ok. It sucks when you realize that what some people are saying is right but you'll aslo be greatful that you listened to their advice. I'm assuming you're still young, don't rush things because you want to have something that is nice to have/cool. Remember, technology changes and I'm sure down the road there will be another car that will be better than the IS300. I got an IS300 and I think I paid my dues. Sorry for the long e-mail but think it over and no regrets on whatever you decide.

Quick Reply: I might give up my IS for a Celica GT--read why