IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Got my Is today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-01, 10:32 PM
Izzy300

Default Got my IS today! edited: I hate salesmen

I just got my IS today! I keep looking out the window at it, I can't believe it's finally here. One question though, my VIN # is 10025842, does this sound like old stock? This vin qualifies me for the Trac update even. Supposedly this car was shipped here straight from the factory but now I'm wondering if they just didn't pick it up from another dealer somewhere else. Should I confront the saleman about this issue? We haven't done the paperwork or signed the contract yet, we're going tomorrow to finish all the paperwork tomorrow. What do you guys think?

Old 06-22-01, 02:18 AM

what?! they let u take the car without signing ANYTHING? you should have signed SOMETHING! or else, just hide the car somewhere and get a 'new' one. if u REALLY didn't sign ANYTHING, they can't do anything about it.
Old 06-22-01, 03:16 AM
RACER-X

Default Yikes!

I agree;

Sell auto for manual, hehe. All jokes aside. If your vin# does qualify you for update, then youve got "old stock". I think you should just pick out a car with the new vins. I just hope the new vins are certainly updated/corrected. Well, good luck.
Old 06-22-01, 06:00 AM
Izzy300

Default Dang it...

Well that sucks! The problem is that they're not expecting any more graphite grays to come in since the 2002 models will be coming in August. Unless the salesman is BSing me about that too. I thought 39 miles on the odometer was suspiciously a little high for coming straight from the factory, test driving aside. I guess I'm gonna have to be a little b*tch when I get to the dealership today. Maybe I can get them to come down more on the price or throw in some extra goodies (they said it would be $300?!? for their front end mask?) Should I request the trac update? Anybody have any idea whats the highest VIN #'s on the IS go up to?
Old 06-22-01, 06:18 AM
vlad_a

$300 for Lex Front End Mask??? Wow.
That thing costs around $100.

I got myself Colgan Full Front End Mask and mirror covers for $160. That thing is better than OEM.

Instead of/in addition to Front End Mask, opt for XPEL.
http://www.xpel.com/

39 miles on odometer means someone was driving your car - either test driving or delivering from different dealership.

When I got mine, it only had 7 miles on it.
Now it's closer to 18K.

If you're gonna ask for something from the dealer, ask for the Gold Trim Package (I shouldn't say anything, 'cause my GGP would not be as original anymore ). It costs them around $130, but MSRP is $495. Looks really well on GGP.
Old 06-22-01, 08:56 AM
eortiz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Izzy300, I hate to tell you this but you're car did not come out straight from the factory or whatever the
saleperson told you. You should not get more than 3 miles on you odometer if you really want to consider it as brand-new. Why do I know, I picked my graphite gray IS300 inside the the dealers lot. cars inside their lot means that they have not cleaned it yet when it got deliverd. Meaning it has been driven only from the truck to the lot at the back(plus the drive from harbor etc.) Another way you can determine if the car was just taken from another dealer, the window sticker should indicate the address of delivery of the vehicle. I'd say squeeze the H**L out of that saleperson. Make him earn his money.
Old 06-22-01, 11:49 AM
Izzy300

Default Salesmen are scum!!

I just called my salesman and he admitted that my IS was a dealer trade. WTF??? If I wanted a dealer trade than I wouldn't have waited three f-ing weeks for my supposed "straight from the factory" car. He also claimed that all IS's sold from their lot already have the ecu and trac updates before they are sold, but I'm gonna make him show me the paperwork to prove it. What a bunch of crap, I expect this kind of service from Ford or Kia. My mom wants to just give the car back and forget the whole thing but I've already fallen in love with it dammit. The only thing I can't complain about is the price, and if I get my way they better make the price even lower. How can they be so stupid?? I even told them I was going to medical school in the fall, and now I'm gonna make sure that all 87 of my classmates, my professors and instructors, all 88 students from eachof the next three entering class years, and all the residents I work with to not buy a car from Lexus of Oklahoma City if they don't get things straightened out. They might not care if they lose me individually as a customer, but I'm gonna make sure they lose more than just me!
Old 06-22-01, 12:26 PM
vlad_a

The salesperson won't care about your classmates or recommendations. Sorry. I've been in sales.

Call 800-25LEXUS and tell them about your experience.
When you buy your car, Lexus will send you the evaluation papers on the dealer. My dealer made sure I gave them a "good grade."

Old 06-22-01, 03:44 PM
SeattleSheila
Rookie

Izzy, just have them show you the bulletin about the ECU/Trac problem. It lists the VIN numbers affected. If yours is one of those, then they'll have to show you that the upgrade has been done. Otherwise, it was already fixed at the factory. Mine had more miles than yours did when I bought it, but, it was the only blue one with the equipment I wanted. (I wanted everything but the moon roof.) I've got VIN#...009229....which REALLY needs the ugrade.
Old 06-22-01, 04:19 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

you live in okc?? you should of bought an is300 from lexus of tulsa. the treat you reallll good here.
Old 06-22-01, 05:06 PM
Izzy300

Greeeeaaat now you tell me! Oh wells, I got them to give me the front end mask, and he's throwing in some of those stainless steel lexus mugs and shirts and what not. He also says that when the armrest is available he'll get it for me for cost. I also got them to buff out some scratches in the clearcoat. As far as I can tell the car runs great and seems fine. I'll be mollified for now.
Old 06-22-01, 11:00 PM
TNguyenIS300
Driver School Candidate

My car got 75miles on it when I first pick up. It was the ONLY DWP in stock (actually it was in the showroom) with all the equipments loaded that I wanted.
Lucky me, my VIN# wasn't on the ECU/Trac upgrade list, plus Dunlop SP Sport9000 tires came with the car too. Due to the high miles on this car, he (Saleman) gave me the '02 armrest and spoiler (Sweeetttt!!!!) as a part of a deal.
So far during my first week, I drove the car up to 775Miles without any problems (WooHoo!!!) Except I couldn't think of any thing wrong to report to the dealer for the first 1000 miles check up. hihihihihih

Bottom line, I'm really happy and no regret that I bought the IS300 (specificly this one). Don't know if other onwers out there feel the same thing.
Old 06-23-01, 04:47 AM
mjdart
Driver

Default Over 25K IS 300's

Your VIN indicates to me Lexus has surpassed thier goal of selling 25,000 IS's the first year. My car is #1377 a very early one. Who has the earliest VIN here and who will have the last or highest VIN for 2001! :eek:
Old 06-23-01, 08:41 AM
vlad_a

Default Re: Over 25K IS 300's

IS300 seems to be doing really well.
I've seen them everywhere I go -
Toronto, Myrtle Beach...
OK, those places are normal, but seeing 2 in Aruba, a relatively small island, that's something.

Originally posted by mjdart
Your VIN indicates to me Lexus has surpassed thier goal of selling 25,000 IS's the first year. My car is #1377 a very early one. Who has the earliest VIN here and who will have the last or highest VIN for 2001! :eek:
Old 06-23-01, 09:07 PM
Gromit
Driver School Candidate

I'm with vlad_a.... they will do quite a bit to get a good grade from you on the follow up survey that you'll get in the mail.

My IS300 had 7 miles on the ODO... I picked it from the the dealer's back lot before it was prepped. It still had all of the exterior coverings on it as well as all of the interior coverings. Also, it has the Dunlop SP9000s... I think all of the newer '01's have these instead of the Bridgstones.

Besides talking about the 330i, tell them you are very interested in an Audi A4. The 330i with all of the same stuff in it as the IS300 is ~7K more. The A4's on the other hand are much closer in price to the IS300. He'll lose the price argument point with a comparison to an A4.

TNguyen - Did they already install the '02 armrest? Can you post some pics of it? I'm dying to get one and am also hoping that they will be offer DVD Nav System for '01's as well.

- tom

Quick Reply: Got my Is today!