IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

SRT HFI installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-01, 05:01 PM
eortiz
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I know the SRT HFI I'm going to be recieving soon comes with installtion instructions. But since most of you guys already have this installed in your car, I'd like to get some recommendations as to the do's and don'ts. Also some recommended tools, consumable items, etc. I would need to have a nice clean installation. This way I'll have more time in having fun after the installation

Thanks in advance for you response.

Old 06-16-01, 01:38 PM
altzasyko

the arm of the intake is easy to install, the ecu piggy back was scary. you should get wire splicers, i believe you can get them at radio shack, and obviously solder/solder iron. make sure you tape and solder everything well. it's pretty easy
Old 06-19-01, 06:39 AM
RACER-X

Default srt install

When you tap into the engine ecu wiring, try to tap as far away from the engine ecu as possible. That way if you make a mistake, your not left with a short stubby wire with no where else to go. Also take lots of pics of your step by step oem dissambly and srt install. This way if you have to go back to oem, youll have the pics to look at. GOOD LUCK!
Old 06-20-01, 10:44 AM
2mchfun
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

take your time.........If you can't get your hands on a splicer, use a razor blade and TAKE YOUR TIME.

Trust me, the first time you fire it up, it will be well worth it!!!

ENJOY!!! I forget what it was like without it......=0)
Old 06-20-01, 12:06 PM
vlad_a

Yes, take your time.
The install is not all that hard.
I couldn't understand some of the terminology, but figured it all out.

The ECU override install is not as scary as everyone says it is. Instructions are clear as to which wires to use. Don't forget to disconnect the negative wire on the battery. Be careful not to cut the wires, just the shielding. I left approx 3-4" from the connector to the point of entry. I used a scalpel to cut the sheath. Felt like a surgeon. Just cut around the wire and pull the sheath apart. Leave approx 1/2" of stripped wire on the override box. Wrap it around the ecu wire. Now, solder it. Make to solder all around the connection. Good thing is to direct the override wire the way it will be going prior to soldering. Use a good electric tape. I use Scotch 88. There's 1 wire you will have to cut that goes to the ECU. Don't forget to put shrink tubbing on the wires prior to soldering. I used a lighter to get the tubbing to shrink.

When I drove my car the first time w/ SRT, I was thinking: "Wow, that thing is loud. What have I done to my car? But, what a power increase." Now it's along the lines: "Not loud enough!"
Old 06-25-01, 09:16 AM
eortiz
Rookie

To all who have been so kind to respond to my question, I feel I owe you the result of my installtion. It went pretty well and I'm quite happy with my work The car picks up off the line a lot better now but of course there is some growl under the hood that I have to live with (which will be easy). To anyone who will be visiting this forum, here is what you'll need during an SRT HFI installation.

wire stripper (with #18 and #20 wire stripper)
10 mm socket wrench
socket extension (I used a very long one to get to the bolt for the stock in-take)
philips screw driver
soldering gun and solder
a good electrical tape
heat gun or lighter to shrink the shrink tube
allen wrench for the 10/32 screw
and pride from your work.

With all that I think anyone can do the job nicely. Thanks again to all those who replied. I guess I can post some pictures of my car now that I have something modified to it.
Old 06-27-01, 07:05 PM
IS247
Driver School Candidate

Default SRT Intake Manual

Hi i was just wondering if anyone would be kind enough to scan me the wiring portion of the SRT ECU. I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely

Rick