IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

BMW vs. IS-300: just the facts

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-01, 06:52 PM
aust182
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There have been quite a few discussions of the pros and cons of BMW vs. the IS but I never see functional differences, just subjective stuff. I thought this might be helpful to someone trying to decide between the two.

BMW: Available: fold-down rear seats, seat and mirror memory (also stored in key), 8 function on-board computer, auto-window up/down on all windows, courtesy/reading lights at all four seating positions, DSC - none of these is available on the IS

Lexus: HID @ no charge, 6-disc in-dash (the BMW is expensive and in the trunk and only comes with a casette-no CD), automatic is standard, 17 inch wheels with z rated tires on nice looking rims (BMW is still using Bridgestones on very flat looking rims)

Engines: the powerplants are a push, 330i is within 2 hp of IS, 325i is in at 184hp

Interior: BMW went for luxury with wood and overstuff, Lexus went for tech with billet pedals and chrome

Exterior: BMW stylish, smooth, Lexus is slick, sharp and YOUNG!

Always good to be informed. As someone who has been driving a 325i for about 7 months I am going to buy an IS in the next two weeks.

I will miss stuff on the BMW but I saw the Lexus and fell in love (and it has the performance to back it up). Besides, throw a turbo on it and it is a BMW killer!!

Let me know if I missed anything.....

.../austin
Old 05-28-01, 06:59 PM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

yea, you forgot to mention that the IS300 comes in the best color on the market, YELLOW!! haha jp

good comparison..makes me feel good to hear things like that being an IS300 owner..
david

Old 05-28-01, 08:58 PM
Lexus_IS300
Lead Lap

Originally posted by dpatterson069
yea, you forgot to mention that the IS300 comes in the best color on the market, YELLOW!! haha jp

good comparison..makes me feel good to hear things like that being an IS300 owner..
david

yes, the yellow....very irresistable!!!
Old 05-28-01, 09:55 PM
aust182
Rookie

how could I forget yellow! I am a bit partial to the Black Onyx with Black Chrome badges myself but the yellow is an eye popper. At BMW I think the old farts consider blue as 'flashy'

.../austin
Old 05-28-01, 10:06 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think everyone has covered the pros and cons of IS and 3s to a great extent. i will just add a few thoughts:

1.the IS 300 must be comapred to the 330i, imho. and when you do, the close to $8k diff in price makes getting the IS a lot of sense.

2. beauty is in the eyes of behloder. but then again, the HUGH price diff all of sudden makes the IS really attractive. hey, i do think that the 3s, are not bad looking. in some ways, they looked classy(no flame ***** throw at me, please). but not pretty enough for me to drop $8k more for the car.

3.performance, most auto journal published the cold, hard facts between the two, there is no need to go into details.
Old 05-28-01, 10:12 PM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

I am a bit partial to the Black Onyx with Black Chrome badges myself

yea, that is a great color too
my choice was between that and yellow...but yellow was flashy and i knew that all the young high school girls would like that car...so, thats what i got...
man, there are girls everywhere for us IS300 guys!! hehe

david
Old 05-28-01, 11:39 PM
edawg
Pole Position

David,,

you are right before i got my IS i had a ford truck slammed on 18z with a phat sysytem and roll pan and alztezza lights and a lot of other goodies but now that i got my Is all i did was slap some rims and a wing and i get x2 of the girls..i would say that the IS was a very good investment...he he he he he
Old 05-29-01, 01:05 PM
tim330i

Default FACTS

You may notice that I am a little baised but if you really want the facts try this

http://carpoint.msn.com/compare/choo...2696&pt=compet

I think that the price would be close after adding power seats (standard on the 330) and 17" rims (standard on 330). I could be wrong I didn't take the time to completly price both cars out.

I just don't like how this was "just the facts" when the 330 makes 225 hp and the is is 215 so the statement "Engines: the powerplants are a push, 330i is within 2 hp of IS" is not a fact. Nither are comments like "Exterior: BMW stylish, smooth, Lexus is slick, sharp and YOUNG!"
I still like the IS don't get me wrong, and I think it is great to have more car companies in the performace car space, it makes for better cars all around (don't believe me check my site www.performanceIX.com we cover every type of car) I just don't like posts about "facts" when they are wrong.

Tim
Old 05-29-01, 01:17 PM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

edawg,
yea, ive been hit on by damn near 20 girls so far just while ive been crusin in my city...
every little high school girl wants me, and all of them are super jealous of my gf, cuz she's in high school too...

the IS300 was a damn great car for me to get..

oh yea, all the cops in my city hate me cuz my car is yellow.. every time i go pass them i can feel them reaching for their radar guns and crap... im sure if i was an old guy they would leave me alone.. oh well, screw'm..

Old 05-29-01, 02:00 PM
aust182
Rookie

Tim,
Here is the scoop....

The reason I said the engine was a push is because I have seen the IS compared to both the 325i (which has 31 hp less, want to be accurate here for Tim) as well as the 330i which has 10 hp more.

The beginning of the post, where options were covered is the facts portion. I just haden't seen anyone cover the numerous little options the BMW had that were not available on the IS. If you paid attention, you will note I said I will miss those, as in - I liked those options much better on the 325i and wished they were on the IS.

Now for the part that isn't fact. I assumed that when I stated "exterior: slick, sharp and YOUNG" everyone would know that was an opinion and that i wasn't calculating the actual age of the exterior paint.

BTW, fact guy, "I think that the price would be close after adding power seats (standard on the 330) and 17" rims (standard on 330). I could be wrong I didn't take the time to completly price both cars out. " You should note that 17" rims are also standard on the IS.

Just the facts......
Old 05-30-01, 07:35 AM
edawg
Pole Position

D Patterson,

Where do you live ...maybe we can get together and bust a little cruise so we can pull all the girls from your town in our cars.....lol... ...about the cops thing..that is the only reason why i didnt get my car yellow....i would get spotted faster....so i got my spectra mica blue.
Old 05-30-01, 09:11 AM
tim330i

Default 17" standard?

Sorry about the mistake on the 17"s carpoint.com show the 17" being a $400 option.

http://www.performanceix.com/random/...ename=is17.jpg

look at the bottom. I normally get all of my information from them because they are up to date. In any case stock 17s or not, they should be replaced with aftermarket wheels on either car right :-)!

Tim
Old 05-30-01, 11:20 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tim,

sounds like you are a very detailed person as i am.
when i looked at prices comparo, i like to see them on a "market, or realistic level". the ~$8k diff was based on my visits to dealers where to take a 330i waould be ~$38.5k + fees. then to the IS300 was ~$31000 +fees. i am certain BMW has its followers for good reasons.

it is just that if i were to get an IS300 for my babe, she would be just as happy(or even more). and when she is happy, i am too. not to mention the tons of money i saved to make us(especially me) enjoy life even more.

most importantly, the IS300, imo, is just as good of a little fun car to drive for the money. hey, i take the $$$ saved, get more goodies for me, vacation in hawaii, or invested wisely. life is good when lexus enters my world.
Old 05-30-01, 04:54 PM
dpatterson069
Pole Position

edawg,
i live in La Canada, which is next to pasadena in southern california/.....

the cops in La Canada are like super famous for giving out tickets to everyone...

we have one officer named "smith" and an article was written up on him in the los angeles times for being the worst ticket giving cop in the los angeles area.,.

seriously though...he has given everyone in LC a ticket..for like 28 in a 25 zone... hes a big ***...

hit me back
lates
Old 05-31-01, 12:32 AM
edawg
Pole Position

d patterson,

thats cool i have cousins in Northride and burbank maybe we can meet in a mid somewhere like Beverly hilld or even sunset and cruise so we can check out the rich ladies...lol

Quick Reply: BMW vs. IS-300: just the facts