IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Install?? (2002 auto dimming rear view mirror on an 01 car)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-04, 06:37 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Install??

Does anyone know how to install the 2002 auto dimming rear view mirror on an 01 car??
Old 12-13-04, 02:15 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

umm.... can you even do that? 01 doesn't have autodim. my friend has the car, i looked before, if i remember right it's just stuck onto the glass, not even any connection to the roof top?
Old 12-13-04, 05:36 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Yes it can be done......you may want to check the headliner for the wires....if not there its easy enough to run them....
Old 12-13-04, 07:18 AM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Do you know how the headliner comes out??? And thank you for your help.
Old 12-13-04, 09:50 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

you will need to open up the doom light assembly. just pry out the cover and there are screws inside where you can loosen up the assembly. then you can drop the liner
Old 12-13-04, 10:45 AM
Zor Prime
Rookie

01 rearview mirrors are not stuck to the glass....they are in the headliner...same as 2002..the wires you tap...depend on you..you can tap the sunroof or domelight wires...check IS300.net....this has been done before

Last edited by Zor Prime; 12-13-04 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-13-04, 11:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Zor Prime
01 rearview mirrors are not stuck to the glass....they are in the headliner...same as 2002..the wires you tap...depend on you..you can tap the sunroof or domelight wires...check IS300.net....this has been done before
oops, sorry about that. gotta take a look at my coworker's car again
Old 12-13-04, 12:04 PM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Thank you so much I greatly appreciate it...
Old 12-13-04, 12:42 PM
Zor Prime
Rookie

Originally posted by rominl
oops, sorry about that. gotta take a look at my coworker's car again
Don't sweat it Rominl we we both half right or half wrong..hehe.. The 2002 has a windshield mount.
Here is some info from someone who has done it.

Like I said earlier, the mirror mounts to the windshield with a metal star shaped clip. This clip screws to a round metal mount that sticks to the windshield with glass adhesive.

If you do decide to get an auto-dimming mirror you need to be careful when you screw the mirror to the mounting surface. The clip is very fragile, you need to buy a whole new mirror if the clip gets damaged. The reason why I know this is because I had my windshield replaced but the glass company damaged the clip. When I took the mirror off to hard wire my Valentine 1, I realize 2 ends of the clip were broken and the mirror would not stick to the round mount anymore. A whole new rear view mirror had to be ordered just for me to use a clip, thank god the glass company took the bill.

Here's a break down of the pieces you'll need, there may be more that I didn't visually see when I took my mirror off.

- auto-dimming rear-view mirror ~$700
- plastic rear-view mirror plastic clip that covers the wires ~$10 (I bought a new one because mine was pryed off and scratched with a screw driver)
- windshield mirror mount ~$20 (I bought a new one too, the glass company filled mine up with glue to make the rear-view mirror stick)
- wiring harness (I don't know the price on this or if one exists at the dealership but you'll need to connect the mirror to a power source)

By the way, you may want a whole new windshield too. The auto-dimming mirror windshields have a a black painted strip about 2" wide and 4" long that runs down the middle of the windshield. That black strip covers the round mirror mount that sticks to the windshield. Without the strip, you can see plastic shape of the mirror and aluminum mount. Looks ****ty without it in my opinion. Hope that helps.
Old 12-14-04, 06:51 AM
IS3CM
Lead Lap

Well thank you for all of that. I appreciate it.
Old 12-15-04, 09:47 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Don't sweat it Rominl we we both half right or half wrong..hehe.. The 2002 has a windshield mount.

Like I said earlier, the mirror mounts to the windshield with a metal star shaped clip. This clip screws to a round metal mount that sticks to the windshield with glass adhesive.

If you do decide to get an auto-dimming mirror you need to be careful when you screw the mirror to the mounting surface. The clip is very fragile, you need to buy a whole new mirror if the clip gets damaged. The reason why I know this is because I had my windshield replaced but the glass company damaged the clip. When I took the mirror off to hard wire my Valentine 1, I realize 2 ends of the clip were broken and the mirror would not stick to the round mount anymore. A whole new rear view mirror had to be ordered just for me to use a clip, thank god the glass company took the bill.

Here's a break down of the pieces you'll need, there may be more that I didn't visually see when I took my mirror off.

- plastic rear-view mirror plastic clip that covers the wires ~$10 (I bought a new one because mine was pryed off and scratched with a screw driver)
- windshield mirror mount ~$20 (I bought a new one too, the glass company filled mine up with glue to make the rear-view mirror stick)
- wiring harness (I don't know the price on this or if one exists at the dealership but you'll need to connect the mirror to a power source)

By the way, you may want a whole new windshield too. The auto-dimming mirror windshields have a a black painted strip about 2" wide and 4" long that runs down the middle of the windshield. That black strip covers the round mirror mount that sticks to the windshield. Without the strip, you can see plastic shape of the mirror and aluminum mount. Looks ****ty without it in my opinion. Hope that helps.
wow man, this is nice! awesome info given out here
Old 10-22-11, 03:12 PM
gutzee
Driver School Candidate

Angry Rearview mirror SOS!

Thank you so much for this- my mirror on my 2003 IS300 SportX has been dangling loose for the last week (a friend borrowed it and it came back like this). I feel like I have a better idea what I'm looking at. Very appreciative of all this info! Thanks!!!

Originally Posted by Zor Prime