IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

C320 to IS300? Some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-04, 07:32 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C320 to IS300? Some questions.

Hi everyone, Well the C320 is running out of warranty pretty soon and I am looking to replace it with either an 2005 IS300 or G35 Sedan. I just have some questions

1) Build quality/Durability.... Have you guys had rattles or interiors fading? How is the leather holding up? One thing I hate is rattles, it drives me to the ground. Is the vehicle as tight as it was since day 1? I plan to keep this vehicle for atleast 7-10 years.

2) Reliability.... I know its a Lexus and this should be be a concern but how many issues have you guys had, major or minor.

3) Handling/braking... How would you rate the two from 1 to 10?

4) Next IS300... From what I have been reading the next IS should be here by fall 2005? Is this true? The reason I am asking is because I want to get a killer deal on the current IS. I buy my cars usually at the end the model yrs span for this reason, plus I like the mid-year upgrade

5) What other changed on the facelift/ mid-year upgrade?

6) Pricing... I am going to aim for 1000-2000 below invoice. Has anyone got below invoice on there IS?

7) What would your rate your IS overall from 1-10?

Thank you all for your time.

Robert
Old 12-12-04, 02:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

The Mercedes C-Class is not even close to Lexus build quality (except for the safety roll cage, which is excellent). Mercedes, especially, has been known recently for electrical and hardware failures. Consumer Reports lists it as one of the most unreliable nameplates.
In contrast, Lexus in general is one of the best nameplates, if not THE best, for build quality. My 2001 IS300 is a solid and rattle-free as day one. Cloth interior holding up well. Paint just like day one.
Handling fine in normal driving.....as good as a BMW 330, IMO. I don't push it really hard, though, so I can't comment on its limits. 3.0 in-line 6 smooth as butter...enough HP / Torque for any driving that I do.
I would rate the IS300 in general a 9 out of 10. My only complaints are poor winter traction (a little better with all-season tires)...it needs an AWD option; unlighted steering wheel shift buttons that make it VERY difficult to use them at night or in a turn; and the design of the transmission shift gate...it should have a straight forward and back motion instead of zig-zag, and it should allow 5-4 downshifts with the lever....it doesn't. You have to go into manual mode and use the shift buttons for a 5-4 downshift or 4-5 upshift.
I also dislike the tendency of the transmission to stay in lower gears when cold and delay upshifts.....an emissions device.
Old 12-13-04, 02:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Re: C320 to IS300? Some questions.

Originally posted by iloveGS300
Hi everyone, Well the C320 is running out of warranty pretty soon and I am looking to replace it with either an 2005 IS300 or G35 Sedan. I just have some questions

1) Build quality/Durability.... Have you guys had rattles or interiors fading? How is the leather holding up? One thing I hate is rattles, it drives me to the ground. Is the vehicle as tight as it was since day 1? I plan to keep this vehicle for atleast 7-10 years.

2) Reliability.... I know its a Lexus and this should be be a concern but how many issues have you guys had, major or minor.

4) Next IS300... From what I have been reading the next IS should be here by fall 2005? Is this true? The reason I am asking is because I want to get a killer deal on the current IS. I buy my cars usually at the end the model yrs span for this reason, plus I like the mid-year upgrade

6) Pricing... I am going to aim for 1000-2000 below invoice. Has anyone got below invoice on there IS?

Thank you all for your time.

Robert
here's my answer to you

1) the build is awesome. i don't have any rattles at all in my car, and i already have stiff suspensions. it's just solid

2) no problems so far on my car at all

3) braking of the car is insane, i really have to give it 9 to 9.5. handling its' pretty stiff and good for a stock car, i have to give it about 7 to 8

4) yes i heard that the new IS is coming in late 2006?

5) i am not sure about this though

6) forget about it, i dont' think it can be done. invoice is pretty much the lowest i have seen so far (unless you have coupons or whatever)

7) i give it 8. my major problem with the car is speed, it's really not that fast imho (well, ok, compared to other cars i have)
Old 12-13-04, 02:02 PM
TCM080903
Pole Position

okay, let me see if i can answer most of your questions. heehee...

1) Build quality/Durability.... Have you guys had rattles or interiors fading? How is the leather holding up?

I've got a MY 2003, so obviously my car is great. No complaints at all!

Only prob so far is that the fabric on my sunroof is bubbling a little bit, so I'm going to take it to the dealer soon. Other than that, absolutely no problems.

Wow. Hmmm, I'd have to rate it a 9? It handles and brakes pretty well, IMO. But then again, I upgraded the sway bars to some Eibach Prokit sways, so that could account for some of it.

New body style is supposedly coming out in the Fall of 2005, as a MY 2006. Due to low sales volume, you should already be able to get a pretty decent deal on the IS.

Not sure what exactly you're asking here. What facelift/mid-year upgrade? Are you talking about the entirely new MY 2006 IS?? Or are you talking about changes from 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005 models?

Hmm, can't help you there. I don't know if anyone's gotten below invoice. We've gotten some pretty good deals, in terms of several thousand below the sticker, but I'm not sure about below invoice. Maybe that will happen next fall??

I would rate my car as a 9. I wish it had a little more power, and I wish I could fold down the backseat to expand the trunk. Those are basically my only complaints. Oh, and I wish it got better gas mileage. So I have a whopping 3 complaints. I drive mostly local streets, so I only average 18-20 mpg. It drives smoothly, handles well, can seat 4 fairly comfortably, looks sporty, has 4 doors, feels solid, what else?
Old 12-14-04, 12:04 AM
iloveGS300
Driver

Great guys, thanks for the participation. My C has been reliable for the most part but I am not going to risk it. I still have a few more months on the warranty and it looks the IS will be the replacement.

Robert
Old 12-14-04, 09:32 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Hi everyone, Well the C320 is running out of warranty pretty soon and I am looking to replace it with either an 2005 IS300 or G35 Sedan.
Robert
I see you are from California....and I also notice you considered a G35. Much of the coastal and southern part of the state, of course, doesn't get bad winter weather, but if you regularly drive into the CA mountains or into another part of the country that DOES, you might want to consider the All-Wheel-Drive G35x.
I think you would also like the AWD 2005 Subaru Legacy Turbo. That is one classy sport sedan now......with a Lexus-quality interior and a Subaru price.
Old 12-15-04, 09:48 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Great guys, thanks for the participation. My C has been reliable for the most part but I am not going to risk it. I still have a few more months on the warranty and it looks the IS will be the replacement.

Robert
cool are you also considering other cars? i recall seeing your screen name in other forums here?!
Old 12-15-04, 11:43 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

Originally posted by rominl
cool are you also considering other cars? i recall seeing your screen name in other forums here?!
Hi Rominl,

Yes, I am considering an SC as well as the IS.

MMarshall,

no AWD need needed here. It doesnt even rain, let alone snow LOL. I like the G35 since its distinctive and handsome. However Infiniti as a brand still has to put there dues in in the industry.

Robert
Old 12-15-04, 11:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Hi Rominl,

Yes, I am considering an SC as well as the IS.

MMarshall,

no AWD need needed here. It doesnt even rain, let alone snow LOL. I like the G35 since its distinctive and handsome. However Infiniti as a brand still has to put there dues in in the industry.

Robert
the sc is going to win by a mile man
Old 12-16-04, 12:13 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally posted by rominl
the sc is going to win by a mile man
I think he's considering between the SC & the CLK, not between the SC & the IS. Oh wait ! The SC is still going to win by a mile !
Old 12-16-04, 02:14 PM
iloveGS300
Driver

Haha

The IS and SC will serve different purposes. The IS would be a daily driver for the wife. and the SC would be a weekend cruiser. I can't say either is better than the other. The IS is exceptional value and fun to drive. The SC is a top of the line cruiser with a sumptuous interior and silky V8.
Old 12-16-04, 08:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Haha

The IS and SC will serve different purposes. The IS would be a daily driver for the wife. and the SC would be a weekend cruiser. I can't say either is better than the other. The IS is exceptional value and fun to drive. The SC is a top of the line cruiser with a sumptuous interior and silky V8.
oh damn, sorry yeah, in that case, there is no comparison