IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Amsoil Air Filter vs K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-04, 10:35 AM
TRD04IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil Air Filter vs K&N?

has anyone actually used amsoil filter in their IS or any car. i know of friends that have used the engine oil but never the air. wanted to get feedback from owners that have used it. checkout the site below that shows a test between the two

http://www.amsoil.com/products/ts.html
Old 05-22-04, 10:47 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Never seen the Amsoil filter around, but if you're looking to get the K&N, just go with the TRD Drop in filter instead. I really have nothing bad to say about the K&N since i've had those on my other cars for many years now. Apparently through dyno charts i've observed on .net, the tests w/K&N drop-in vs. the TRD drop in showed that K&N actually lost power. That .5 or even 1 hp loss isn't much but a loss is a loss.
Old 05-22-04, 01:18 PM
irv_usc
Lead Lap

lol flipside, amsoil is an oil company. he is talking about oil filters.
Old 05-23-04, 12:42 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Dude, click the link. I know Amsoil is a oil company, but they've expanded their product line! LOL Irv....click on the link first! He's talking about AIR FILTERS.
Old 05-23-04, 09:46 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Originally posted by flipside909
Never seen the Amsoil filter around, but if you're looking to get the K&N, just go with the TRD Drop in filter instead. I really have nothing bad to say about the K&N since i've had those on my other cars for many years now. Apparently through dyno charts i've observed on .net, the tests w/K&N drop-in vs. the TRD drop in showed that K&N actually lost power. That .5 or even 1 hp loss isn't much but a loss is a loss.
How could the K&N have lost power Flipside? It is nearly identical to the TRD--both use oil to seal the filter. TRD seems a lil more expensive because buyers would be a lil more likely to pay more for the Toyota name.

Regardless, TRD04IS i'd stick with tried and true TRD or K&N. You could even gain a lil more power with an intake like the SRT or Injen. For stealthier and quieter, try the PLP silent flow intake. Good luck with that though.
Old 05-23-04, 11:17 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by _DAG_
How could the K&N have lost power Flipside? It is nearly identical to the TRD--both use oil to seal the filter. TRD seems a lil more expensive because buyers would be a lil more likely to pay more for the Toyota name.
I think if you did a little more research on this topic than asking me these questions, you wouldn't have to be questioning my reasoning. But since you like to jump to conclusions without doing your own topic research, it's pointless to tell you what my conclusions were.

Just because it's nearly identical in looks doesn't mean it's THE EXACT SAME. Period.
Old 05-24-04, 07:18 AM
_DAG_
Driver

I think if you did a little more research on this topic than asking me these questions, you wouldn't have to be questioning my reasoning. But since you like to jump to conclusions without doing your own topic research, it's pointless to tell you what my conclusions were.

Just because it's nearly identical in looks doesn't mean it's THE EXACT SAME. Period.
You're right about two items looking similar and not performing the same.

About the research and conclusions: if you seem so sure that yours are correct, why don't you just share the knowledge and tell us CL members why the K&N lost power.

That's all i'm asking. Thanks.
Old 05-24-04, 08:16 AM
irv_usc
Lead Lap

Dude, click the link. I know Amsoil is a oil company, but they've expanded their product line! LOL Irv....click on the link first! He's talking about AIR FILTERS.
lol. my bad, i don't click links at home because of dialup

LOL
Old 05-24-04, 09:13 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally posted by _DAG_

About the research and conclusions: if you seem so sure that yours are correct, why don't you just share the knowledge and tell us CL members why the K&N lost power.

That's all i'm asking. Thanks.
well if you took the time to read my post above, this we wouldn't be talking about this. To refresh, this is what I put:

"Apparently through dyno charts i've observed on .net, the tests w/K&N drop-in vs. the TRD drop in showed that K&N actually lost power. That .5 or even 1 hp loss isn't much but a loss is a loss."
Old 05-24-04, 12:57 PM
TRD04IS
Driver School Candidate

i'll probably end up with the k&n but wanted to see if anyone used the amsoil. anyway. i looked at the oem filter and as usual its very thick vs k&n but its good to see that the IS has something similar to a ram air with the stock air box set-up.

also, after countless searching i've decided on the k&n and hks super dragger2 set-up vs sri, header and exhaust. i don't need the car to be the fastest just fast enough for me. plus i don't want the IS to be an endless project like my gts, where every month for 2 years i had to have something new.
Old 05-24-04, 05:52 PM
_DAG_
Driver

well if you took the time to read my post above, this we wouldn't be talking about this. To refresh, this is what I put:

"Apparently through dyno charts i've observed on .net, the tests w/K&N drop-in vs. the TRD drop in showed that K&N actually lost power. That .5 or even 1 hp loss isn't much but a loss is a loss."
Trust me I read it. But thanks.