IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

installed header and Y pipe yesterday

Old 05-03-04, 09:32 PM
chicolex
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installed header and Y pipe yesterday

hello

i installed toyomoto header and Y pipe yesterday. installation took almost 4 hours due to header fitment. we did some work to fit the header and we also found difficulties reading the diagram/instructions for the O2 sim, but everything went well. my car sounds as loud as **** now, . the y pipe sounds kinda weird, everytime i push the gas i can hear the air traveling really loud. it sounds like ssshhhhh....ssshhhhhh everytime i gas. is this condition considered normal for aftermarket Y pipe ?. i'm thinking putting back my stock Y pipe after reading dasgalloway article on is300.net ( i think the website is down right now so ican't copy the article ). well let me know what you guys think
Old 05-03-04, 10:04 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

theres a possibility you have an exhaust leak. go to your local autoparts store and get some copper sealant, its in a copperish tube and is good up to 700degrees, should stop any exhaust leaks for good. when you say you did some work to fit the header, are you talking about modifying?
Old 05-03-04, 10:47 PM
chicolex
Rookie

Originally posted by DonCorleone
theres a possibility you have an exhaust leak. go to your local autoparts store and get some copper sealant, its in a copperish tube and is good up to 700degrees, should stop any exhaust leaks for good. when you say you did some work to fit the header, are you talking about modifying?
we bend the header a little bit to fit the engine. i cover the header with cotton towels when i bend it so it won't break. exhaust leak is what i thought, i can easily hear the noise from inside. well maybe i gotta go buy the sealant tommorow. thank's for the info btw
Old 05-04-04, 04:37 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

wow, that doesnt sound good, having to bend the header to make it fit... ive never heard of anyone else having that problem before... i have an xerd header but i didnt do the install so i dont know if xerd has the same issues... but this is the first ive heard of any header needing that...toyo or xerd...

anytime on the info... good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 05-04-04, 04:38 PM
tsopranoMB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow, that doesnt sound good, having to bend the header to make it fit... ive never heard of anyone else having that problem before... i have an xerd header but i didnt do the install so i dont know if xerd has the same issues... but this is the first ive heard of any header needing that...toyo or xerd...

anytime on the info... good luck and let us know how it goes.
actually..i recall a post on is300.net about a toyo header not lining up , however once installed it bended into shape....when .net is back up, i'll look for the thread...

Last edited by tsopranoMB; 05-04-04 at 04:39 PM.
Old 05-04-04, 06:16 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

Originally posted by tsopranoMB
actually..i recall a post on is300.net about a toyo header not lining up , however once installed it bended into shape....when .net is back up, i'll look for the thread...
wow, thats not good.

looking up the thread is not necessary, i believe you.
Old 05-04-04, 09:13 PM
chicolex
Rookie

i checked the Y pipe today to see if there's any leak, but everything is fine. my friend checked them all using the device that i dont even know what the name was (doctor always use them). anyway, i might put my stock Y pipe back at the end of this week
Old 05-04-04, 09:25 PM
DonCorleone
Lead Lap

i hope you checked the front and back of the ypipe. on my xerd setup i had a leak at the front (ypipe header) and back (ypipe bpipe) even with the supplied xerd copper gasket.
Old 05-04-04, 09:40 PM
_DAG_
Driver

Default pipe

Hey, after getting the header, y pipe, and axleback exhaust, i read dasgalloway's informative article about the backpressure. I put the stock y back on and had the res pipe re-welded back in there. Car has much better acceleration and sounds alot smoother . Also did you dyno the results? I wish i had so i could see the numbers. Good luck with your mods though.
Old 05-04-04, 10:12 PM
Beachtyme
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally posted by tsopranoMB
actually..i recall a post on is300.net about a toyo header not lining up , [...] when .net is back up, i'll look for the thread...
I recall seeing this.

Sophie made a nice comment about toyo header alignment as well.
Old 05-05-04, 10:13 AM
chicolex
Rookie

Default Re: pipe

Originally posted by _DAG_
Hey, after getting the header, y pipe, and axleback exhaust, i read dasgalloway's informative article about the backpressure. I put the stock y back on and had the res pipe re-welded back in there. Car has much better acceleration and sounds alot smoother . Also did you dyno the results? I wish i had so i could see the numbers. Good luck with your mods though.
that's exactly what im going to do....i read das's article 3 hours after i install both the header and y pipe....i was like..what the **** i knew i'm going to lose backpressure but i did not know about the possibility using the stock y pipe...btw....nice article das
Old 05-05-04, 10:15 AM
chicolex
Rookie

i hope you checked the front and back of the ypipe. on my xerd setup i had a leak at the front (ypipe header) and back (ypipe bpipe) even with the supplied xerd copper gasket.
well....we checked everything...from front to rear, top to bottom everything seem fine...im going to put my stock y pipe back....hope i gain some low end power
Old 05-05-04, 03:21 PM
cdawg
Rookie

The 'shhhhh' sound you hear is normal, mine does it too. I didn't put the y-pipe back because of the N2O but Das did have some great info for N/A cars and the benefits of backpressure on low end hp/tq.
Old 05-05-04, 09:30 PM
DasGalloway
Driver School Candidate

If you've done a double check and all your joints are sealed up you should be good to go.

Note: if you forget to put the o2 sensor on the ypipe back in and start up the car, it will sound like a diesel tractor. Very funny when you realize what you've done, but if you drove around and let the o2 sensor drag on the ground you might need a new one ($$$$).

I've installed a few of the old gen1 toyomoto headers myself and never had any problem with fitment... if you've put headers on a car before you should have no problem. I haven't personally done a gen2, so I can't comment on those. They look sweet though...

If anyone is wondering about the article I wrote they're referring to, you can find it here:

Exhaust Backpressure Analysis on the IS300 (dyno graphs!)
Old 05-07-04, 10:26 AM
TCM080903
Pole Position

thanks for the link, das! hadn't read that yet...good info to know!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installed header and Y pipe yesterday