IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

Car almost killed me!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-15, 05:50 AM
statusdrew
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Car almost killed me!!!

So as I was driving to work this morning on I-95, about 20 minutes into my drive the car started swaying side to side very violently as I was doing the speed limit (between 65-70mph)!! I had to wrestle the car straight and slow it down, I say wrestle because it felt as if all steering feel was gone from the car.

I pulled over to the side of the road, thinking it was a tire issue since new front tires are the only thing Iv'e done lately (which was weeks ago)... I still had to get to work so I drove up slowly, hoping not to die... At lower speeds (under 40mph) steering felt very loose but controllable... Anything over and the car feels like it rather steer itself than listen to me. At every speed, the car feels like it's swaying from side to side, sometimes even feeling like its going to swerve into another lane even though I'm holding the steering wheel firmly...

Does anyone have any idea what could be the cause of this? I will have to drive it home after work before I can have anyone come look at it, please help!
Old 06-03-15, 06:13 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sway bar? Look at your suspension.
Old 06-03-15, 06:38 AM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Steering rack?
Old 06-03-15, 07:00 AM
statusdrew
Driver School Candidate

Iv'e been doing research all over this forum and a few others and finding multiple possible causes... I read one member had a very, very similar problem after getting new front tires without getting new rear tires (which I did)... That member said getting new tires all around fixed the problem...

This is very aggressive behavior for something as simple as mismatching tires but still after work before I drive off I'm going to jack up the car and rotate the tires, while I'm at it I'm going to see if anything looks suspicious... I'll also schedule getting an alignment... Sigh... Lets hope that helps as well...
Old 06-03-15, 07:08 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Any aftermarket parts on your suspension?
Old 06-03-15, 07:17 AM
statusdrew
Driver School Candidate

Quite a bit...

Tein Sport Comfort Coilovers w EDFC
Eibach Front and Rear Sway Bars,
Megan Racing Rear Adjustable Links & Arms

All these mods are over a year old though... Professionally installed and adjusted, no issues with them ever...
Old 06-03-15, 08:04 AM
cp2
Racer

Received 326 Likes on 195 Posts

I find it hard to believe what happened was due to not changing your rear tires. for the safety for you and others, you shouldn't drive it until you knew what was wrong. it really needs to be looked at. suspension, control arms, steering rack...it could be a combination of things as well. glad to see that you made it to your location safely, there's no guarantee that trying to make it somewhere else safely.
Old 06-03-15, 08:49 AM
statusdrew
Driver School Candidate

I found an older post with a member having the exact same problem!!

http://my.is/forums/f115/just-some-is300-quirks-407911/

Here's what he wrote that nails my exact issue...

It's really hard to explain well through text, even if I throw in all the technical terms/big words (which I don't know). Behind the wheel, I understand whats going on with the steering input and how I wish it could be. Either way, I'll try to explain it in more detail this time. I will also visually inspect every suspension component on my car again as well as putting a load on it to test all the bushings/joints/rods.. etc.

As for my steering issue, imagine if you will I'm going straight at around 50mph. My steering wheel is centered/leveled and I rotate it 3/4's of the way or in mathematical terms.. 120 degrees or so into a turn, I'm sensing my tires are doing their job.. good contact patch and good grip.. but I'm not feeling any feedback from the steering wheel itself. Whats lacking is the resistance feel, the bit where the steering wheel is suppose to fight back against the direction of the turn.

This is troublesome and frankly very annoying if the car oversteers or understeers because I don't feel any of the warning signs. If it becomes unstable, it does it instantly without justice. I guess this is what IS300Enthusiast103 is referring to.. it does feel like I'm handling a floating steering wheel.
Old 06-04-15, 07:44 AM
statusdrew
Driver School Candidate

So.... I drove the car home yesterday... No issues... Examined it thoroughly with my 2 buddies (1 is ASE certified)... Found nothing out of place...

Drove it to work this morning... No issues...

What the hell... Only explanation is that it was the tires. The road was wet, the front tires are new but a POS brand, the car could have been hydroplaning... Still, for the car to act the way it did that would have to mean I had no traction at the front wheels at all.

It makes no sense because even for cheap tires, to be that useless under wet conditions...
Old 06-04-15, 07:52 AM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wouldn't drive it if I were you. Get it towed. Sounds like a component has literally broken or totally come loose. Does that car have electric steering or hydraulic?
Old 06-04-15, 07:03 PM
mnewxcv
Lead Lap

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

new tires should be put on the rear of the car.
Old 06-04-15, 07:14 PM
rudyH
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by statusdrew
So.... I drove the car home yesterday... No issues... Examined it thoroughly with my 2 buddies (1 is ASE certified)... Found nothing out of place...

Drove it to work this morning... No issues...

What the hell... Only explanation is that it was the tires. The road was wet, the front tires are new but a POS brand, the car could have been hydroplaning... Still, for the car to act the way it did that would have to mean I had no traction at the front wheels at all.

It makes no sense because even for cheap tires, to be that useless under wet conditions...
You left out the wet road part in the original post or I missed it. That's a totally different situation. I won't venture any further ideas.Good luck and hope you figure it out.
Old 06-05-15, 03:55 PM
statusdrew
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation

Yeah almost 90% sure at this point that it's the tires. We can't seem to find anything else out of place with the suspension or steering.

I'm going to get a new set of 4, something well performing maybe from tire rack. I didn't think cheap tires where this bad, I mean I didn't expect much from them coming from a set of Falken Azenis Tires...

But wow! The worn down Falken tires which where showing an unsafe amount of wire still out performed these tires in every way, even in safety!
Old 06-06-15, 10:39 PM
01gs3
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I'd say steering rack.

But keep us updated on changing the tires. glad you are okay.
Old 06-06-15, 10:44 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't understand why people like to cheap out on tires when they play such a vital role and they last a long time.