IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

tach/mpg not working, and low coolant/beck up light indecator on

Old 04-10-15, 07:05 PM
sive
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tach/mpg not working, and low coolant/beck up light indecator on

So as a couple weeks ago I purchased a is300, w55/manual, factory white. it took me forever to find this car.
Today (it was pouring) I ran into some strange issues. As I was pulling out of work I noticed my low coolant light and back up indicator light were on, also my tachometer and mpg gauge were not working. everything else on cluster is normal.
I restarted it, reset ecu by taking terminal off for 30 min, all fuses good, but still nothing. the car runs just as in the morning (no driving issues). no cel. i know i need an abs sensor on front right wheel. so abs light was on and trac cont flashing, nothing new. I'm going to get it scanned tomorrow to see if the ecu recognizes the rpm.

the only thing i can think is that something got wet. 2 signals that were getting power, aren't, and 2 signals that weren't, are.

1)just out of curiosity i know when the ecu of a honda has no rpm reading it will go into "safe mode", does toyota have a similar feature, if so i can mostly rule out an ecu.
2)does the wire loom for the cluster run from the drivers side fuse box. like from one of those plugs under the fuses.

Ive found several threads with the same problem but no solution, so i will record my findings to help anybody in the future.
any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 04-11-15, 10:18 AM
sive
Driver School Candidate

no chassis codes relating to rpm, only abs (which was same as before). my plan is to pull the cluster and start tracing back.
im wondering if anybody has the wiring diagram for the cluster?
Old 04-12-15, 02:19 PM
sive
Driver School Candidate

solved: mpx-b fuse was blown. its in the right kick panel. it looked fine but replaced in anyways, problem solved. tach and mpg working, also low coolant light and blown tail light indicator went off.