IS - 1st Gen (2001-2005) Discussion about the IS models up to the 2005 model

***HELP***IS300 is DE-ACCELERATING by itself. SLOWING DOWN

Old 08-09-12, 09:10 PM
IntensaLex
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ***HELP***IS300 is DE-ACCELERATING by itself. SLOWING DOWN

My 02 automatic is300 is not coasting or holding speed when letting off of the gas pedal. I feel and see the car de-accelerating quickly.
The mph needle will drop and slow down as soon as i let off of the gas. The engine does not feel free, feels more like it is in gear and slowing down when it should be coasting. For example reaching high speeds then letting off the gas pedal or going down hill off the gas pedal my car does not hold or gain speed....it slows down dramatically. This issue was not present ever before. I have a check engine light on for 02 sensor b1s1, i have not been able to replace it yet. So the check engine light has been on for about a month. I thought maybe a hub bearing, or tires but when i am coasting and the car is slowing..if i switch into neutral it will feel as if the engine was just free'd and will stop to de-accelerate and coast freely.

any thoughts ? THANKS in advance !
Sorry for the loud thread title. I am just extremely bothered by this issue.
any suggestion, diagnosing or solutions would be greatly appreciated
Old 08-10-12, 07:07 AM
dammitjim
Driver School Candidate

A brake caliper might be dragging. Get on the highway for a few miles then pull over and see if one of your wheels is noticeably hotter than the rest.
Old 08-10-12, 10:21 AM
rvalero
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dammitjim
A brake caliper might be dragging. Get on the highway for a few miles then pull over and see if one of your wheels is noticeably hotter than the rest.
That's what I thought until I read this:
if i switch into neutral it will feel as if the engine was just free'd and will stop to de-accelerate and coast freely.
I'm honestly not sure what the problem is. Have you checked your transmission fluid? If you don't get an answer here, you may have more luck on my.IS.
Old 08-10-12, 10:39 AM
2jzlex21
Driver School Candidate

my 02 Auto IS300 decelerates as well, i dont think its an issue. if i go down a hill it coasts but on flat road it slows down. i thought this is normal. ive driven several cars that are sporty and all do this i assumed this was normal.
now if your going down hilll and your car is almost coming to a complete stop that may be an issue. just my .02 cents
Old 08-10-12, 05:05 PM
IntensaLex
Driver School Candidate

i did check my trans fluid, it is at correct level on dip stick and the color is a pinkish purple some what dark. I also disconnected the neg battery terminal to reset the ecu. Im either loosing my mind or somthing is truly wrong here. I do NOT remember my is300 ever feeling like this. It would always coast. I was on the highway going 60mph, then let off gas pedal and the car would slow down immediately the mph needle would drop quickly and my car would slow down feeling as if it is in a low gear. Im afraid it may be a transmission issue.
At times it feel as if its coasting when off the gas and at others it feels to slow down quickly.

thanks for all the replies, anymore would be appreciated.
Old 08-10-12, 06:11 PM
romycha1
Lead Lap

What do your RPM's look like when it is decelerating?
Old 08-10-12, 07:21 PM
diagtime
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yes, what rpm are you at??? how do you know you're not in a lower gear? if something was dragging on the engine, it would have idling problems and wouldnt accelerate correctly
Old 08-10-12, 10:05 PM
IntensaLex
Driver School Candidate

My rpm's are sitting right at 1 when the car is decelerating. What can that determine ?
Thanks for your time.
Old 08-10-12, 10:15 PM
IntensaLex
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by diagtime
yes, what rpm are you at??? how do you know you're not in a lower gear? if something was dragging on the engine, it would have idling problems and wouldnt accelerate correctly
when i let off the gas the rpms drop down and stay at 1. I will drive up to 40mph then let off the gas, some times the mph needle wont drop quickly(it will stay around 40mph and decelerate not as fast) Other times it will slow down decelerate faster. Could this be that engine is in diff automatic gears st those timed. Could this be the computer reading wrong. I dont remember my is300 driving and feeling like this. Now it feels like tge car is bring slowed. Possible tranny issue?
Thanks for your time