Headlight Problem after Alternator Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-11, 11:02 PM
LexDoc81
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Headlight Problem after Alternator Service

Dear CL members,

I have a problem I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I recently had symptoms suggesting a bad alternator. Tested and replaced the alternator but the problem returned. After the Toyota specialty shop spent quite a bit of time looking (including checking connections to the instrument cluster...grrrr), they determined the belt on the crankshaft pulley was slipping and therefore not creating charge in the alternator. Fixed that and put the old alternator back in and it's working great...

A week later I was driving and shifted the headlights into high beam and neither they nor the blue high beam indicator came on. On closer inspection, only the low beams work - fog lights, high beam, and DRL's are all out.

The high beam bulbs are fine and all the fuses are good. As I turn the lights off and back on and onto high as well as fog lights on and off, there's a loud "click" sound that I don't remember ever hearing before. I've checked, and the DRL connection is good. I've read in other posts that the problem may be related to relays. They "checked" all of those looking for the initial problem, so it may be as simple as them not connecting everything back correctly. I've pretty much had enough of this repair shop, so I'd like to avoid going back and just do it myself if I can.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on what I can check or fix?

Thanks in advance - glad to have this great resource!
Old 02-28-11, 08:05 PM
candyblue
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

replace your headlight switch