Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Help with hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-17, 09:14 PM
Lrxbrian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with hybrid

Looking for info. Got a 2006 hybrid 400h, replaced 12battery today, and when it was turned on, all theae warning lights came on. The L gear shifter switches to drive, but doesnt move. Anyone have experience with this? See pic...
Old 02-03-17, 09:59 PM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Received 132 Likes on 122 Posts

Can you start the engine? Losing 12V battery causes losing of all the settings. Consult owners manual re: how to reset stuff.
Old 02-04-17, 04:42 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

Perhaps your issue is beyond the 12V Battery, as a defective alternator or loose belt not charging the battery therefore the 2 Battery Warning Lights.
I do not own a Hybrid although the single Battery Warning Light according to the Manual of my fuel powered RX330 translates to a discharge.
The Manual does not mention anything about not being able to advance once shifted into gear if the battery is discharging.

Last edited by 05RX330AWD; 02-04-17 at 04:47 AM.
Old 02-04-17, 10:18 AM
danthedj
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

You're going to want to post in the Hybrid section of the 2nd Gen RX forum. While these other users are trying to be helpful and guide you, the RX400h is very different than the 330 and the manuals are different as well - so you may end up on a wild goose chase. I'm not super knowledgeable on the intricacies of the hybrid system, but all these lights together isn't a common issue.
Old 02-04-17, 11:38 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by danthedj
You're going to want to post in the Hybrid section of the 2nd Gen RX forum. While these other users are trying to be helpful and guide you, the RX400h is very different than the 330 and the manuals are different as well - so you may end up on a wild goose chase. I'm not super knowledgeable on the intricacies of the hybrid system, but all these lights together isn't a common issue.
I would disagree, Hybrid or not, Lexus vehicles from the same generation will share identical warning lights.
Appears as the discharge light for his 12V battery is on indicating the charging system is failing, at least he has a starting point for verification.
From the post, the odds are better than average he doesn't have the manual, agreed, hopefully some Hybrid owners will assist further.
Old 02-05-17, 06:55 AM
RedGemini
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RX330AWD
I would disagree, Hybrid or not, Lexus vehicles from the same generation will share identical warning lights.
Appears as the discharge light for his 12V battery is on indicating the charging system is failing, at least he has a starting point for verification.
From the post, the odds are better than average he doesn't have the manual, agreed, hopefully some Hybrid owners will assist further.
I'll have to disagree to disagree. A hybrid is a different animal, and they do have specific warning lights that won't be found on other models.

As seen from the pic, we don't have a "Battery MAIN" or "P/S (power steering)" light, as we don't have a hybrid battery nor electric power steering. I'd think there could be some clues if the Check Engine light codes are read, as there are surly specific codes for the hybrid. Wether or not a generic code scanner can pull those codes, I have no clue.

Since both battery lights are on after the battery change, I'm going to lean towards a ground wire issue going to the battery. What happened during the battery change? Wires were moved that haven't been moved in years, that's what. I'd start carefully tracing both terminal wires to see if there could be a loose connection on the other end. Once that's checked, and the CEL is scanned for codes, then we mere mortals may be a little helpful.
Old 02-05-17, 06:56 AM
Lrxbrian
Driver School Candidate

Thanks guys! I will be scanning it on Wednesday. Will post back.
Old 02-05-17, 08:54 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Was the vehicle working alright B4 the battery swap? If OP has multi-meter check the condition of new battery. Releasing shift stick is easy. Just use some flat screw driver something to push down the slot next to the stick. 12V battery is like a controller power supply. If it is no good nothing will work. Did you put in fully charged battery? How about connecting charger to the battery?
Charging current is coming from 200 volt hybrid battery pack with stepped down DC voltage.

Last edited by Htony; 02-05-17 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-05-17, 09:00 AM
05RX330AWD
Advanced

Originally Posted by RedGemini
I'll have to disagree to disagree. A hybrid is a different animal, and they do have specific warning lights that won't be found on other models.

As seen from the pic, we don't have a "Battery MAIN" or "P/S (power steering)" light, as we don't have a hybrid battery nor electric power steering. I'd think there could be some clues if the Check Engine light codes are read, as there are surly specific codes for the hybrid. Wether or not a generic code scanner can pull those codes, I have no clue.

Since both battery lights are on after the battery change, I'm going to lean towards a ground wire issue going to the battery. What happened during the battery change? Wires were moved that haven't been moved in years, that's what. I'd start carefully tracing both terminal wires to see if there could be a loose connection on the other end. Once that's checked, and the CEL is scanned for codes, then we mere mortals may be a little helpful.
Read your post, you contradicted yourself...
I never mentioned a Hybrid & a fuel powered Lexus are the same "animal", although there are 2 Battery Warning Lights for a Hybrid, logic says one has to be for the charging system for the 12V Battery.
Lexus mentions "discharge" for the Battery Warning Light.
All I posted is there's a starting point for verification, no more, nothing less.
Old 02-06-17, 09:59 AM
Htony
Lexus Champion

Please, Hybrid RX does not have alternator. Charging current is provided by hybrid battery(200V). If 12V battery is dead, nothing will work. Like can't even open the door.
Accessories won't work, etc. Even open the door with the key. When X-mas tree lights come on the dash usually it is Hybrid system fault which is dealer's territory. Hybrid
control system is designed by NEC, even as an EE(retired) it is very complex system to figure out. Even AC compressor is driven by a motor(no belt).
Old 02-06-17, 10:09 AM
SkiMe
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I assume you have turned the key all the way to simulate an engine cranking??
Old 02-06-17, 12:09 PM
Lrxbrian
Driver School Candidate

Here is what i know. And again, i will be at the 400h in a couple days....
h wouldnt start, very little power. Also, key fob is broken with dead battery, BUT, was near key when turning on.
Tried jumping, provided zero improvement. Btw, i didnt jump the car, so i cannot attest to the quality of the jump. AAA comes out and diagnoses a dead battery, and they put a new one in. No improvement. In fact, it took 10 minutes to drain that one. I will be checking that battery and its connections myself in a few days, as well as pulling codes. I'm not fully convinced that the battery install was good, or cables tightened, or anything yet.
. Thanks everyone for your ideas. This has been "diagnosis over phone" with people who pretty much know how to turn a key, and thats about it.
Old 02-07-17, 02:03 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

moving post to the hybrid section
Old 02-08-17, 01:29 PM
Lrxbrian
Driver School Candidate

Quick update. I got to the car. Battery tested at 10v with key in off position, then 6.5v with key turned on. Charging battery now, and once fully charged, will have O'Riellys do a load test in it.
Fyi, 6.5v wasnt even enough to pull the stored codes.
Old 02-08-17, 06:00 PM
thomas1
Pole Position

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I wouldn't mess with it, replace the battery.

Quick Reply: Help with hybrid