Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.
View Poll Results: Do you think this brake noise is normal or not
Normal
28.57%
Not Normal, need to be fixed
71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Brake noise every time I press the pedal

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-23, 04:30 PM
Van74
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake actuator need to be replaced

Originally Posted by pdaeng
my rx450h keeps having issues. Very disappointed.
the most recent one is that every time I press the pedal, it makes a small "dang" noise. Not loud but very annoying. Took to the dealer for three times for this issue, they admitted the noise and bleed the brake. However it did not help. At last, they told me that this is normal for hybrid. They showed a brand new 450h and it indeed makes a silimlar noise!
Can not believe that!

The loaner I take is a rx350 2016. The pedal has no noise. But I do feel way more vibration than my 450h.

Probably the last Lexus for me.

the noise sample is here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fquhg4rxf1...noise.mov?dl=0
I had same problem with my 18 450h , the brake actuator need to be replaced, cost around $4000
Old 03-05-23, 11:29 AM
lexusmexus
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a 2017 RX 450H F Sport that started making the barking noise right after I got the brake fluid change at 30K miles (back around 2019) at the Lexus dealer. Took the car back to the dealer and told them the noise started after the brake fluid change. The service advisor told me they changed the brake fluid again and found some "black foreign objects" during the bleed/flush, but the noise was still there. They went ahead and replaced the brake actuator (and another brake fluid change) under the 50K/4 year warranty.

The brake didn't feel quite right even after having the brake actuator replaced and a week later, the barking noise came back. Took it back to the dealer. Service advisor informed me since this is a reoccurring issue, they will need to contact Lexus corporate for guidance. Lexus corporate supposedly told the dealer to replace the brake actuator again.

After the 2nd brake actuator replacement, the brake action still didn't feel quite right and the barking noise was still there. However, it wasn't happening as frequently and the bark was not as loud so I had decided to live with it.

Come January 2023 and at 55K miles on the odo (and out of warranty), I can replicate the barking noise almost at will and the barking has become lot louder. The frequency and the loudness didn't happen over night, but it got to the point beyond annoying. I finally took it to the dealer again after having found a TSB released in April 2021 (after I had my 2nd brake actuator replaced) that addressed the issue. It seems the process to bleed the brake fluid has been revised and the TSB noted a new part number for the brake reservoir to be used along with an ECU update.

I explained to the service advisor the history and referenced the October 2021 TSB. Service advisor called me back the next day stating that they were able to duplicate the noise and will need to reach out to Lexus corporate with the recommendation to have the brake actuator replaced again under a "one time good will". The replacement was approved and the brake actuator was replaced for the 3rd time.

It's been less than 2 months now, but immediately after getting the car back, the brake action felt lot better and the barking and slight clanking noises are gone (slight air hiss can be heard but I think that's normal). Since the brake fluid was changed during the brake actuator replacement, I won't need another brake fluid change at 60K. However, I am already hesitant to get the brake fluid change at the 90K mark.

Last edited by lexusmexus; 03-05-23 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Benshell (01-27-24)
Old 03-05-23, 02:17 PM
golferjack
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 104 Posts

As I have mentioned in earlier posts, I believe it has something to do with air pressure (mine only makes a noise when I return to high altitude on warm days). I therefore do not plan to ever replace the fluid as I suspect it has something to do with the amount of fluid in the lines. In other words, when the car was initially assembled if there was a small amount of air in the lines, then that may cause issues. I suspect that they had many issues trying to bleed and refill your lines, and hence the continued problem. I believe they got lucky in the last fluid change. I have no facts to back up what I am saying, but do have a sense of the cause. There is probably a part that is marginally within specs and thus the issue. I would bet that the original actuator was good and maybe they got lucky when they replaced the reservoir. You have a great dealer. Mine perfect braking and does not make a noise except for a day or two at high elevation. I can live with it.
Old 04-23-23, 01:57 AM
Tom999lexs
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Wiener
Status update: I know how to solve the problem... temporarily for a day or two or like 50km. So, you have to provoke the ABS so that the actuator's valves open. Actuator is actually a pressure releaser for the brake lines. It is easiest to do on snow, ice or mud. Just find slippery surface, drive 40km/h and slam on the brakes until a complete stop. There, now the knock will not appear for some time. Not even once.

There can be some air bubble that gets pushed away from its natural position when ABS valves open and is quiet, but returns after some time to its natural position and makes the noise.

P.S. Don't crash, please.
Hi Wiener, i have an rx450h from 2014. Diagnosed the noise i have as the "barking problem". I tried to get approval from Toyota Europe to get it fixed under extended warranty as it is my 3rd RX, and i am/was "lexus Ambassador" towards everybody who asked me about the brand But until now they don't want to help me out as there are no errors throwing up on the OBD...
OBD

​​​​​​In the first place i would like to have the noise gone as it drives me nuts and destroys the whole idea of driving a quite, safe quality car. Your trick to activate the ABS, did it still work after a few times?
Old 05-19-23, 09:02 PM
SoCalRX
Intermediate

Received 105 Likes on 67 Posts

I have a vested interest in this topic having undergone three of replacements, in addition to the original ABS system. I am now using the services of another Lexus dealer and still pursuing questions as to where Lexus currently stands in remedying said issue. Apparently Lexus has tried and resolved several issues through time, a series of part replacements (to arrive at the revised parts), and ABS brake procedures depending on where the issue(s) resides within the ABS braking system and the symptoms exhibited. Is it a permanent fix? Only time will tell or until Lexus further revises parts and procedures based upon additional findings.

Just this week I had our ABS system bled under a major service interval. I warned my Service Consultant that if the squawk returned, that my wife would be done with our (basically her) RX 450h. Good news, they bled the brakes and no issues.

Several Lexus models and model years have been affected by this issue. Check with your dealer to learn more. I can say that different Lexus Service Departments handle matters differently (as they have for me), so you might want to inquire with more that one Lexus dealership.
The following users liked this post:
Benshell (01-27-24)
Old 05-19-23, 11:59 PM
Tom999lexs
10th Gear

Originally Posted by SoCalRX
I have a vested interest in this topic having undergone three of replacements, in addition to the original ABS system. I am now using the services of another Lexus dealer and still pursuing questions as to where Lexus currently stands in remedying said issue. Apparently Lexus has tried and resolved several issues through time, a series of part replacements (to arrive at the revised parts), and ABS brake procedures depending on where the issue(s) resides within the ABS braking system and the symptoms exhibited. Is it a permanent fix? Only time will tell or until Lexus further revises parts and procedures based upon additional findings.

Just this week I had our ABS system bled under a major service interval. I warned my Service Consultant that if the squawk returned, that my wife would be done with our (basically her) RX 450h. Good news, they bled the brakes and no issues.

Several Lexus models and model years have been affected by this issue. Check with your dealer to learn more. I can say that different Lexus Service Departments handle matters differently (as they have for me), so you might want to inquire with more that one Lexus dealership.
Hi, thanks for the info from my dealer that bleeding the brakes would fix it. I did it myself in the end, not to save money but to be sure it was been done well. I did it the same way as the latest TSB of October 2021. I repeated the bleeding process multiple times, didn't count it but it took me 4 hours in total and 5 litres of fresh brake fluid. I went for dot4 low viscosity (better for abs units) but no difference in noise. Now 2000kms further it seems like it even starts to bark when i am keeping the pedal depressed when standing stationary. I talked to dozens of people and even the latest revision of the abs actuator 44050-48320 fails after a while.

I don't blame the dealer but it's for sure not the same kind of service you got years ago when customer was king at lexus. I tried to make clear i was well aware about the failure of the abs units and that it is a major design flaw going on for years. But they just ignore that "you're the first one with this kind of issue", yeah right..

As all hybrid higlanders, from the oldest to the newest ones also have the same issue (same car in fact) i don't expect miracles anymore...hundreds of thousands of cars with these abs actuators are on the road and they don't care, or try their best to fix it.

This was my 3rd and last RX. Bought my first one, an old 2005 rx350 and was astonished by the build quality, so then i bought a 2009 rx450h, thinking that it would be better but that car started to rust like hell. And all the rattles made it feel like a car of the 90's. But i still had good hope that this was due to the previous owner maybe not taking care of it.
Now i drive a 2014 rx450h, driven by somebody i know, a female docter who really looked after the car. It got all it's required maintenance and look in perfect condition.
However i notice new rattles and noises every day i drive it but ok, my mistake i knew it would happen. But then this stupid braking noise started and I can't even drive in the city without people turning their head whenever i brake. And the jokes of family, friends and colleagues about my so well built japanese luxury suv i have to hear each time they drive along. (Can't blame them)

I think i am done with this brand and toyota in general. Their engines are maybe great machines and reliable but on the other hand if everything around the engine is rubbish it doesn't make sense anymore..

I guess I'll return to the german cars, maybe they are also not the cheapest or most reliable ones to drive but at least i never heard about parts failing for almost 20 years without fixing the root cause.

Old 06-10-23, 10:00 PM
Flomaster
2nd gear

Exclamation 2016-2021 Brake Chirping/Squawking Sound

Hi everyone,

Does your Rx have a Chirping or squawking sound when you press on the Brakes?

So I have a 2017 Rx450h FSport which I purchased last year at Carmax. About 6 months ago, I noticed that every time I pressed the brakes, there was a chirping sound. I figured it could be dust in the calipers. As the months went by, the chirping sound has gotten louder and now it affected the parking brakes. I researched this problem and many people online have also complained that they are hearing this Chirping sound or what the Dealer calls a "Brake Squawk" noise.

I received a letter from Lexus saying to bring my vehicle in for a possible Brake Booster and Fuel pump failure. So I brought my car to the dealership. Since it's there I complained about the chirping sounds that it's making every time I step on the brakes and when the parking brake is applied. I told the Advisor at Lexus that a lot of people online have also complained about this problem and it should be a "Recall". He said that it's not a Recall.

To make the story short, the Dealership didn't find anything wrong with the Brake Booster and the Fuel pump. What's causing the Chirping or Squawking sounds was the "Brake Actuator". I was quoted $4,327 to have these parts replaced because my Rx was already past the 50,000 miles warranty. I brought my Rx to the Dealership at 55,483 miles.

It was a great thing that my wife and I purchased the extended warranty at Carmax called the Max Care which covered the cost and I only had to pay a $100 co-pay. Amazing! It took almost 2 days to have this completed. Now, the chirping sound has disappeared when I press the brakes and when the parking brake is applied. Make sure to ask for a Loaner at the Dealership or else they won't offer it.

I truly believe that this should be a Recall by Lexus and be covered. It shouldn't matter how many miles the customer has. This is a safety issue. The brake actuator shouldn't fail this soon. I have a 2007 Lexus GS350 with 225,000 plus miles and I never replaced the Brake Actuator. I don't know if even has one. The bottom line is when I press the brakes on that car, there was never any chirping/squawking noise.

Also, make sure to file a complaint at NHTSA about your Rx. The more complaints, the better. I know I did. Here's the link below.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index
Old 06-10-23, 10:07 PM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Try removing and clean and lube see if it stops.

Possible the shims are loose? Don't know until you disassemble it.
Old 06-11-23, 01:05 AM
jcg0324
Advanced

Received 252 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by GS4_Fiend
Try removing and clean and lube see if it stops.

Possible the shims are loose? Don't know until you disassemble it.
He doesn't need to remove or clean anything. The dealer fixed it and the job is complete.
Old 10-18-23, 09:58 PM
doc92er
1st Gear

Latest TSB on this is L-SB-0032-23. It covers USA and Mexico markets and now includes 2022 RX 450h & hL models. Recently replaced my 2020 RX 450h brake actuator under warranty. The "knock" noise that was produced when tapping/depressing the brake pedal disappeared right away upon service completion. So far no "squawk" or the seal bark noise. This was quite a complex repair and I was hesitant to let my car have the surgery. Service advisor deems it is not a safety concern if left alone and it is rather a nuisance. I decided to go with the repair and am still unsure whether or not that was the right decision. Time will tell.