Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Looks like I'm joining The Club - officially!

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-16, 10:32 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Looks like I'm joining The Club - officially!

Just missed out on a 2011 RXh FWD with 78K miles, but have a secured appointment to see a 2010 RXh FWD with only 71K miles tomorrow at noon. I've been able to register the '10's VIN on Lexus/Drive and verify the dealer records, and between the Dealer records and the clean Carfax, it looks good. Price doesn't appear to be too bad @ ~ $22.7K. These h's are selling fast around here (at least the Southern ones with no accident records), there aren't tons of them around right now, and I am ready to pull this trigger! It's a Smoky Mica exterior with black interior.

After a thorough detailing this weekend (assuming we make the purchase), one of the first things I plan to do is to add the 20mm wheel spacers just to stiffen the legacy body roll dynamics. The tires are supposedly in great shape, but I'll just have to see myself, tomorrow. If we do purchase it, I'll be hauling it back on a trailer behind my F250, so I really won't get my typical "settling in" for a couple weeks or so. Once I get it cleaned to MY satisfaction, I'll shoot a few pics and post them, especially with the before/after appearance on the wheel stance with the new spacers.

I want to say "thanks" to all the folks in here because you've already been a great help to me in posting your experiences and perspectives. I've been lurking in the shadows for over three weeks now, and have recently been asking some additional questions for a more thorough perspective on the hybrids, and I'm sold on the Toyota technology, and am eager to have my wife and I enjoy the Lexus reliability. What we're replacing is a 2003 Ford Excursion with the legacy 7.3L diesel power stroke engine. The Ex has been a great vehicle, and suited us exceptionally well while we still had all 6 kids at home, but we're simply at a point where we need (and are able) to move on (and up) to something a little classier. I'm looking forward to getting to know more of you in here over the coming years.

Pete
Old 08-24-16, 09:24 AM
Jerry61
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the Lexus world, you won't regret it. You need to hang on to the 7.3 engine as that was the best diesel engine Ford ever made.
Old 08-25-16, 06:59 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Jerry61
Welcome to the Lexus world, you won't regret it. You need to hang on to the 7.3 engine as that was the best diesel engine Ford ever made.
I agree in terms of it being the best Ford diesel engine, and I have another one in my F250 that I'm keeping. If I ever get rid of my truck, it will be to swap it for another 7.3 with fewer miles and 4WD. The Ex is just too much vehicle for our needs right now, though, so I'm going to cash in on it.

ALSO... here's a shot of the RXh we picked up yesterday. My wife already LOVES it tremendously!
Attached Thumbnails Looks like I'm joining The Club - officially!-2010-rx450h.jpg  
Old 08-25-16, 05:55 PM
Jerry61
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2015 450h that looks just like yours. My other vehicle is a 2009 2500 Duramax with just under 100,000 miles. I sell Amsoil so I use my truck to pull my trailer.
Old 08-25-16, 07:03 PM
F250
Lead Lap

Small world... I used to sell Schaeffer lubricants. Got started after a major layoff at my engineering office, and kept it going for about 4 years, but gave it up since I can't manage it while I'm still back at the office full time.

Last edited by F250; 09-26-16 at 02:59 PM.
Old 08-26-16, 08:57 AM
MellonC00
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by F250
I agree in terms of it being the best Ford diesel engine, and I have another one in my F250 that I'm keeping. If I ever get rid of my truck, it will be to swap it for another 7.3 with fewer miles and 4WD. The Ex is just too much vehicle for our needs right now, though, so I'm going to cash in on it.

ALSO... here's a shot of the RXh we picked up yesterday. My wife already LOVES it tremendously!
just a bit off topic - what kind of driveway is that? some kind of pebble tech concrete??? It looks nice set against your dark RX!!!
Old 08-26-16, 09:57 AM
F250
Lead Lap

Thanks. The driveway is actually about 30 years old at this point. My wife has always called it a Savannah Stone finish, but I can't find anything to confirm that naming convention. Every time I've searched for how to repair the lower area where it is cracked, all I can find is that it is generally referred to as an "exposed aggregate" or "exposed gravel" finish. From what I understand, they do it by pouring and screeding the driveway, and then topping it off with pea gravel, smoothing the gravel into the surface, letting it firm up, and then use light water spray and brooms to "sweep/flush" the concrete away from the top-embedded pea gravel. Depending on the color of aggregate used and finish technique, you can get a very wide array of the finished appearance. Here is a link to one company who does this... https://camwellspaving.com.au/expose...ays-melbourne/

I can tell you for certain, though, that at this point, the gravel can be rather uncomfortable to walk on without shoes after 30 years of wear and occasional pressure washing. Over time, more and more of the concrete gets eroded away from between the aggregate. and more of the gravel is exposed, some being pointed and sharp. It is a beautiful finish, and it is not hard to maintain, but if you like going barefooted and occasionally do your own vehicle maintenance in the driveway, it can be really rough on people feet and creeper wheels.

Last edited by F250; 09-26-16 at 03:02 PM.