Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Hybrid System/CVT Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 06:03 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hybrid System/CVT Fluid

So I just changed out the two fluids of these systems and it was pretty easy...as long as you have the right tools.

Things I noted.:

The coolant from the Hybrid system looked brand new. I did noticed that my car was able to charge the battery to green status after the change in fluid. Before that very rarely did it hit green in the display.

The CVT fluid definitely needed to be changed as it was almost black. I only changed the fluid in front as I only bought 4 quarts from Toyota. Four quarts came out and I was only able to put back in 3 1/2 quarts. Besides changing out the fluid because it was black, I was hoping new CVT fluid would solve the problem of transmission jumps when letting off the acceleration pedal. WIth CVT you shouldnt be able to feel a shift in the car at all. After the fluid change, the jolt is almost gone. Its buttery smooth.

If you do change the CVT fluid, you gonna need the right fluid pump to do the job. This worked the best for me after trying out different kinds of pumps.
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ma...qeAaAuxQ8P8HAQ

definitely pick one of those up from some hardware store.

Lastly, Im trying to figure out why my car slightly shutters at idle. Its not the shutter you get when the engine comes on but its like a very light engine stutter that you can feel through the brakes. Anyone experience this? My car is at 110k.

Last edited by theory816; 07-20-16 at 08:46 PM.