Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

450h maintenance schedule

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-16, 09:46 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts
Default 450h maintenance schedule

So, curiousity. What is the GS-450h F-sport maintenance schedule like? Does the hybrid system require long-term maintenance as well as the combustion system?

r/Andy
Old 07-20-16, 10:43 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Hi Andy,

Good question.

To me, it seems that the 4th generation GS 450h has the exact same service schedule as the 4th generation GS350 (non-hybrid).

2013 GS450h maintenance schedule (starts on page 48 of the pdf): http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1...50h_WSG_lr.pdf

2013 GS350 maintenance schedule (also starts on page 48): http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1..._GS350_WSG.pdf

If anything, the GS hybrid has less wear and tear since the engine is de-tuned and used less. Maybe the engine starter might get the most use on the hybrid. -- see my response to NateJG below.

The only "maintenance" that needs to be done on the battery is full replacement of battery pack whenever that starts to diminish or die completely. It's fully covered by Lexus up until 100,000 miles, but Toyota/Lexus has been known to honor the hybrid battery guarantee for longer than that too.

There are many 3rd party companies (and even some DIY kits) that replace individual battery modules since it's highly unlikely the entire battery will diminish/die at once.

Here is a good read for you on the Prius, which is Toyota's first and best selling hybrid vehicle: http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...ent-cost-guide

The fact that many companies that operate taxi in large cities across the country have swapped out their old taxi's for reliable hybrids (i.e. I've seen many Toyota Camry hybrids being used as taxis) is a testament to the dependability/reliability of the hybrid platform (along with the multiple benefits it provides, especially in stop & go traffic).

Don't just take my word for it though. Do your own research as well.

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 07-20-16 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 11:20 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

What Starter?
Old 07-20-16, 11:36 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Sorry, there is no traditional electric "starter" as in most Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) cars, but in Toyota/Lexus hybrid, the Motor Generator 1 (MG1), which is attached to the ICE, is used as a the electric motor when starting the ICE.

So scratch what I said about having to replace any starter (ty for pointing this out NateJG). You would only have to replace the MG1 if it stopped working, possibly due to a large temperature increase (which would trigger some engine code), had some type of electric leakage, etc. These are very rare instances.

Hope that helps,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 12-27-17 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-20-16, 02:58 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks! I'm doing a bunch of shopping...this is just on of the difference-criteria that needs to be answered.
Old 12-27-17, 03:51 AM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

CVT and DIFF oil I swap every 45000 miles. Make sure to pick the correct oil at a lexus/toyota dealership don't use identical numbered oil from another supplier as it will lead to problems. The LSD diff needs descent and correct oil or it will start to stutter softly
Old 12-27-17, 06:54 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Originally Posted by HaerdenC
CVT and DIFF oil I swap every 45000 miles. Make sure to pick the correct oil at a lexus/toyota dealership don't use identical numbered oil from another supplier as it will lead to problems. The LSD diff needs descent and correct oil or it will start to stutter softly
I'm not sure why you would have to change your transmission (CVT) fluid every 45,000 miles.

Lexus' official maintenance schedule says you don't need to touch it (see page 72): http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1...50h_WSG_lr.pdf

"Transmission Fluid The transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission. Inspect the transmission for signs of leakage. (The electric motor/generators do not require periodic maintenance.) Any service that requires inspecting or replacing transmission fluid should be performed by a qualified technician following procedures in Lexus service and repair publications. Please refer to the important safety precautions found on the inside front cover of this booklet."

I'm curious what is causing you to replace the transmission fluid so frequently.

Btw - just read about your recent 4GS hybrid purchase. Congrats! Welcome to the small handful of us 4GS hybrid owners. I came across your numerous posts in the 3GS hybrid subforum as you maintained & modified your vehicle - really loved the documentation of your journey as you owned that beautiful car. I look forward to your future 4GS hyrid posts.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 12-27-17 at 07:25 AM.
Old 12-27-17, 10:58 PM
HaerdenC
Rookie

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
I'm not sure why you would have to change your transmission (CVT) fluid every 45,000 miles.

Lexus' official maintenance schedule says you don't need to touch it (see page 72): http://www.lexus.com/pdf/service/MY1...50h_WSG_lr.pdf

"Transmission Fluid The transmission and transmission fluid are a completely sealed unit. Therefore, periodic checks and replacement of the transmission fluid are not required, and there is no dipstick on the transmission. Inspect the transmission for signs of leakage. (The electric motor/generators do not require periodic maintenance.) Any service that requires inspecting or replacing transmission fluid should be performed by a qualified technician following procedures in Lexus service and repair publications. Please refer to the important safety precautions found on the inside front cover of this booklet."

I'm curious what is causing you to replace the transmission fluid so frequently.

Btw - just read about your recent 4GS hybrid purchase. Congrats! Welcome to the small handful of us 4GS hybrid owners. I came across your numerous posts in the 3GS hybrid subforum as you maintained & modified your vehicle - really loved the documentation of your journey as you owned that beautiful car. I look forward to your future 4GS hyrid posts.

~ Im2bz2p345
As with many things in life I always try to judge what I read, I'm working on Toyota's for about 15 tot 20 years now and there are some things you need to know. Lifetime is not Lifetime :-) Lifetime is a calculation of the expected lifetime of a car for example at Ford it was unofficial 75.000 miles, Toyota / Lexus 125.000 miles, also unofficial. You will also notice that your service history booklet is limited to that kind of mileage.

Then second ... if you know a bit about oils you know that the internet is full of experts and you will get instant flaming if the topic is started, from what I know I can confirm ALL oils degrade. I bought my 3th gen GS450h a few years ago and it had about 75.000 miles on it, dealer maintained. I had an aged prop shaft rubber and Lexus doesn't sell them so I had to replace the full prop shaft on the driver side. While getting the broken one out there was a very strange smell to the diff oil. Drained it and it was pure black and stinky. By noticing that I also replaced the gearbox fluid. It was less degraded and a humidity test was still negative however it was still far from the new fluid and 3 shades darker at least.

There is also clearly a drain and filler hole that is clearly made for maintenance actions as it is well reachable and the same kind of plug as your oil plug.

On that moment I had a chat with my Toyota dealership (I'm friends with them for many years) and they told me that it was indeed lifetime fluid but they change it every 45.000 miles for cars serviced at their workplace if it is not a leasing car for leasing cars the lifetime of the car is as described above and mileage is mostly done on a short period of 3 to 5 years. Mine was at the time 8 years old.

So to put things short ... I love my cars, it doesn't cost a fortune and it is a doable job ... why take the risk.
The following 2 users liked this post by HaerdenC:
gripau1 (12-08-23), Im2bz2p345 (12-07-21)