Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

Water leak led to "check hybrid system"

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 01:48 AM
majorana83
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak led to "check hybrid system"

Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the forum and I would be grateful to receive some advice.

I own a Lexus RX400h, 2007-180.000 kms. Some weeks ago while driving (!!) the car stopped abruptly and the "check hybrid system" and "check VSC" lights went off on the display. I somehow managed to pull over on a pavement but the car did not start any longer and I had it towed to the closest Lexus dealer.
The outcome of the inspection was: P0AA6-526 and P0AA6-612 failure codes. I read some literature and I discovered that the issue lay at the battery cover and the cause was most likely a water leak that led to an isolation fault. Indeed, it had been pouring that day and the car was parked outside. Lexus is aware of this glitch, two service bulletins were issued to this purpose: L_SB-0019-09 & L-SB-0045-09.

"Luckily" the sole relay had to be changed (which in Switzerland meant 2100 CHF including labor work) but the water leak is still there (I have been asked as much to have it solved) and, consequently, I avoid driving the car when it rains. Please have a look at the pictures attached that show the relay and trunk area at the time of the failure.
Could you please point me to the possible causes of this water leak?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Attached Thumbnails Water leak led to "check hybrid system"-img_3193.jpg   Water leak led to "check hybrid system"-img_3194.jpg   Water leak led to "check hybrid system"-img_3200.jpg   Water leak led to "check hybrid system"-20160627_162008_resized.jpg  
Old 10-17-16, 06:06 AM
cezar22
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by majorana83
Hello everyone,

This is my first post in the forum and I would be grateful to receive some advice.

I own a Lexus RX400h, 2007-180.000 kms. Some weeks ago while driving (!!) the car stopped abruptly and the "check hybrid system" and "check VSC" lights went off on the display. I somehow managed to pull over on a pavement but the car did not start any longer and I had it towed to the closest Lexus dealer.
The outcome of the inspection was: P0AA6-526 and P0AA6-612 failure codes. I read some literature and I discovered that the issue lay at the battery cover and the cause was most likely a water leak that led to an isolation fault. Indeed, it had been pouring that day and the car was parked outside. Lexus is aware of this glitch, two service bulletins were issued to this purpose: L_SB-0019-09 & L-SB-0045-09.

"Luckily" the sole relay had to be changed (which in Switzerland meant 2100 CHF including labor work) but the water leak is still there (I have been asked as much to have it solved) and, consequently, I avoid driving the car when it rains. Please have a look at the pictures attached that show the relay and trunk area at the time of the failure.
Could you please point me to the possible causes of this water leak?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello !

I am driving the same car and I have the same issue as you described : water in trunk , < Check VSC and Check Hibrid System> on display poping up to display. Lexus service have my car for already for few days and I have no answer from them. If you can, please tell me witch relay your mechanics founded broken and may be I will give them the gold idea where too look and I will be happy again to use my car.

Thank you!
Old 01-12-17, 07:15 PM
rlmo
Driver School Candidate

I had a similar water leak problem over the last few months, water in/under all floor carpets though without any hybrid issues (knock on wood.) I searched CL and followed some of the various paths regarding water issues (A/C drain, moonroof drain lines) as well as windshield seals, and finally brought it into the toyota mechanic that has done a lot of work for me. They check the AC and roof, which were clear, and then found water pooling in the rear storage area, around the spare tire, and near the hybrid battery. The mechanic had seen this in a Prius before, and found the issue to be cracked welds around the rear hatch hinges. They sealed them with epoxy today as a stopgap and to see if this solves the issue; will be checking it over the next few days. My fingers are crossed as I've also seen a couple of horror story threads on here about black mold under the carpets from persistent water leaks.

Hope this helps (me and you...)
Old 11-23-21, 11:18 AM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have any updates on their car? New owner of an 07 rx400h that I got for my daughter and the same thing happened. Car totally turned off while driving, had to pull over, reboot, and been good to go since. Dealer mentioned possible water issue.
Is there a good tutorial on battery removal so I could at least get in there and see if theres water and if theres a way to patch/fix it!
Old 11-26-21, 04:39 PM
catemars
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the same thing that happened to me! Our threads should be linked. You should pop out the plastic parts in the back and dry out any water asap.

Last edited by catemars; 11-26-21 at 04:50 PM.
Old 12-10-21, 05:54 AM
bcolins
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

This has been discussed by me and how I repaired it for free. Do a search for my user ID “bcolins”

Last edited by bcolins; 12-10-21 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-11-22, 10:58 AM
Rxhybrid31
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
had the same issue after a big rain storm. Long story short Lexus mechanic told me there is a debris plug in hybrid battery compartment that I could remove. Removing the plug would allow any water accumulation to drain and apply some good sealant around rear lift gate arm, where there was a small crack. They were gonna charge some ridiculous amount for body work etc. I had them remove the plug and they took out the back seats and let the battery dry out for the weekend. They put everything back and no more warning lights. Took the car back Monday after and I sealed under the roof rails to rear lift gate arms. Didn't have any water marks inside car again and never had the issue reappear after any kind of rainfall. To note dealer offered me 2k for car and was trying to get me to buy /lease a new RX when it happened. Hope it helps.
The following users liked this post:
myw (01-30-22)
Old 09-18-22, 08:11 AM
fredS
1st Gear

Where is the plug?