Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Why is 2016 RX450h so rare?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-16, 07:29 PM
FLYCT

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Why is 2016 RX450h so rare?

I had our 2015 RX450h in for a windshield replacement due to windshield rain sensor failed.

I was driving a 2016 RX350 loaner for 4 days. I liked several new options like radar cruise and the extra room. I didn't like the 8 speed transmission and the engine noise.

I was looking to test drive a 2016 RX450h but thre were none at my local dealer, Wilde Lexus of Sarasota, and only 3 within 65 miles of my zip code. What gives? Why so few '16 RXh's???

Last edited by FLYCT; 06-29-16 at 08:10 PM.
Old 06-29-16, 03:30 AM
kitlz
No, I don't play soccer!

Received 159 Likes on 134 Posts

Supply and demand? I went the special order route so it wasn't an issue. Finding an RX450h F-Sport to test drive was. I had to settle for the RX350 F-Sport. And be prepared when you finally take the 4RXh out. It's quite different than the 3RXh, all good.
Old 06-29-16, 03:56 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Must be a regional thing as my dealer has 6 RX450h units on the lot with different packages available.
Old 06-29-16, 12:39 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

They probably figured gas prices are low and then ordered less hybrids?
Old 06-29-16, 07:39 PM
Jerry61
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same experience with windshield replacement on my 2015 RX 450h. The dealership loan me a red 2016 RX 350 fully loaded. Loved the color, extra room, head's up display and the upgraded radio was amazing. First time in 40 years I had to turn down the bass as it was shaking my teeth. What I didn't like was the transmission searching for the correct gear, engine noise lower mileage. As I returned the vehicle to the sales manager I told him if I had never drove a hybrid with CVT I would have bought this vehicle, but I want a hybrid. He laughed and said he fully understood my position, he recommended that I ordered one exactly what I want and to wait until the middle of July so it will be a 2017. I like the dealership in Macon Georgia.
Old 06-29-16, 08:48 PM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by Jerry61
I had the same experience with windshield replacement on my 2015 RX 450h. The dealership loan me a red 2016 RX 350 fully loaded. Loved the color, extra room, head's up display and the upgraded radio was amazing. First time in 40 years I had to turn down the bass as it was shaking my teeth. What I didn't like was the transmission searching for the correct gear, engine noise lower mileage. As I returned the vehicle to the sales manager I told him if I had never drove a hybrid with CVT I would have bought this vehicle, but I want a hybrid. He laughed and said he fully understood my position, he recommended that I ordered one exactly what I want and to wait until the middle of July so it will be a 2017. I like the dealership in Macon Georgia.
Jerry,,

Here we go again, great minds thinking alike It must have something to do with both of us being named Jerry and both having former AF experience.

I have a great dealership here and a great relationship with the sales department. It may have something to do with having owned and serviced 5 Lexus cars there just in the last 5 years.

I was thinking the same thing. To get what I want, it would have to be special ordered. Now is not the time to special order being that the end of the model year is fast approaching.

I will probably take a road trip to the dealer about 100 miles away to test drive one of their 2016 RXh's this weekend.

I want the following wish list:

EMINENT WHITE PEARL (for Florida Heat and ease of keeping looking clean)
NOBLE BROWN SEMI-ANILINE LEATHER
LUXURY PACKAGE
LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM + WITH PREMIUM TRIPLE-BEAM LED HEADLAMPS
12.3-INCH NAVIGATION/MARK LEVINSON® PREMIUM AUDIO* PACKAGE
PANORAMIC VIEW MONITOR* WITH BLIND SPOT MONITOR* WITH REAR CROSS-TRAFFIC ALERT* AND ELECTROCHROMIC OUTSIDE MIRRORS
TOWING PREP PACKAGE
TOUCH-FREE POWER OPEN/CLOSE REAR DOOR
Old 06-30-16, 02:56 PM
Jerry61
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by FLYCT
Jerry,,

Here we go again, great minds thinking alike It must have something to do with both of us being named Jerry and both having former AF experience.

I have a great dealership here and a great relationship with the sales department. It may have something to do with having owned and serviced 5 Lexus cars there just in the last 5 years.

I was thinking the same thing. To get what I want, it would have to be special ordered. Now is not the time to special order being that the end of the model year is fast approaching.

I will probably take a road trip to the dealer about 100 miles away to test drive one of their 2016 RXh's this weekend.

I want the following wish list:

EMINENT WHITE PEARL (for Florida Heat and ease of keeping looking clean)
NOBLE BROWN SEMI-ANILINE LEATHER
LUXURY PACKAGE
LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM + WITH PREMIUM TRIPLE-BEAM LED HEADLAMPS
12.3-INCH NAVIGATION/MARK LEVINSON® PREMIUM AUDIO* PACKAGE
PANORAMIC VIEW MONITOR* WITH BLIND SPOT MONITOR* WITH REAR CROSS-TRAFFIC ALERT* AND ELECTROCHROMIC OUTSIDE MIRRORS
TOWING PREP PACKAGE
TOUCH-FREE POWER OPEN/CLOSE REAR DOOR
I want all of them features but it's got to be red.
Old 06-30-16, 04:02 PM
FLYCT

Jerry,

Matador Red is my second choice and if could have found a 2016 equipped as I want I would be making calls to try to make a deal. Being retired I would be willing to drive up to 1,000 miles to trade my 15 RXh in.

Just last year I let my Matador Red mint 2008 SC430 go. Here in Florida Red is beautiful when clean and polished but it takes more work than I'm willing t put into it. The SC was relatively easy to keep polished due to its small size. The SC spent most of the time under a car cover in the garage ready to go for a ride up the beach with the top down, at a moments notice.
Old 06-30-16, 07:06 PM
Jerry61
Driver School Candidate

Jerry,

Matador Red is my second choice and if could have found a 2016 equipped as I want I would be making calls to try to make a deal. Being retired I would be willing to drive up to 1,000 miles to trade my 15 RXh in.

Just last year I let my Matador Red mint 2008 SC430 go. Here in Florida Red is beautiful when clean and polished but it takes more work than I'm willing t put into it. The SC was relatively easy to keep polished due to its small size. The SC spent most of the time under a car cover in the garage ready to go for a ride up the beach with the top down, at a moments notice.
Founding one is the problem, check Huntsville Alabama dealer site they had one there but I don't know how it is equipped. I will be in Mryrtle Beach next week I may check out the dealer in Charleston. Good hunting.
Old 06-30-16, 08:11 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When They did have one, it was basic. Nothing like what you guys want.

Last edited by s2000zr; 11-08-16 at 07:07 PM.
Old 07-01-16, 03:46 AM
Jerry61
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by s2000zr
from charleston here. there are NO RX450H on the lot. When They did have one, it was basic. Nothing like what you guys want.
Thanks for the tip, it's looking like I will be ordering a 2017 in the next few months.
Old 07-05-16, 07:54 AM
FLYCT

I just did a quick search on cars.com for 4RX and 4RXh inventory.
It seems that Hybrid inventory is different by region.

Nationally RXh's are 8.5% of inventory
Within 500 miles of Tampa RXh's only account for 3% of inventory.

JM Lexus has 130 RX350's and only 3 RX450h's in inventory.

I only found ONE RX450h http://www.lexusoflasvegas.com/Vehic...-NV/2783113173in the country that matches my wish list.

Here is my wish:

Any one of 6 color combinations.

Nebula Gray/Black
Nebula Gray/Brown
White Pearl/Brown
White Pearl/Black
Matador Red/Black
Matador Red/Brown

Mandatory Options:

· LUXURY PACKAGE
· LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM + WITH PREMIUM TRIPLE-BEAM LED HEADLAMPS
· Color Heads Up Display
· 12.3-INCH NAVIGATION/MARK LEVINSON® PREMIUM AUDIO* PACKAGE
· PANORAMIC VIEW MONITOR* WITH BLIND SPOT MONITOR* WITH REAR CROSS-TRAFFIC ALERT* AND ELECTROCHROMIC OUTSIDE MIRRORS
· TOWING PREP PACKAGE
· TOUCH-FREE POWER OPEN/CLOSE REAR DOOR
· Power Folding Rear Seat

Last edited by FLYCT; 07-05-16 at 08:49 AM.
Old 07-05-16, 09:51 AM
Jerry61
Driver School Candidate

I just did a quick search on cars.com for 4RX and 4RXh inventory.
It seems that Hybrid inventory is different by region.

Nationally RXh's are 8.5% of inventory
Within 500 miles of Tampa RXh's only account for 3% of inventory.

JM Lexus has 130 RX350's and only 3 RX450h's in inventory.

I only found ONE RX450h http://www.lexusoflasvegas.com/Vehic...-NV/2783113173in the country that matches my wish list.

Here is my wish:

Any one of 6 color combinations.

Nebula Gray/Black
Nebula Gray/Brown
White Pearl/Brown
White Pearl/Black
Matador Red/Black
Matador Red/Brown

Mandatory Options:

· LUXURY PACKAGE
· LEXUS SAFETY SYSTEM + WITH PREMIUM TRIPLE-BEAM LED HEADLAMPS
· Color Heads Up Display
· 12.3-INCH NAVIGATION/MARK LEVINSON® PREMIUM AUDIO* PACKAGE
· PANORAMIC VIEW MONITOR* WITH BLIND SPOT MONITOR* WITH REAR CROSS-TRAFFIC ALERT* AND ELECTROCHROMIC OUTSIDE MIRRORS
· TOWING PREP PACKAGE
· TOUCH-FREE POWER OPEN/CLOSE REAR DOOR
· Power Folding Rear Seat
Make it red and add heated rear seat, can we go in together and buy one and get one free.
Old 07-05-16, 10:45 AM
FLYCT

Originally Posted by Jerry61
Make it red and add heated rear seat, can we go in together and buy one and get one free.
AF Brother Jerry,

I'm not sure that heated rear seats are an available option.

If you find 2 red ones I'll go in with you. I'd even drive up to Georgia to get it.

Jerry 2
Old 07-05-16, 01:42 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

AF Brother Jerry,

I'm not sure that heated rear seats are an available option.

If you find 2 red ones I'll go in with you. I'd even drive up to Georgia to get it.

Jerry 2
I think power folding heated rear seats are available as an option on the non F Sport

Quick Reply: Why is 2016 RX450h so rare?