Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other third generation RX models.

Engine knock at cold startup - RX450H

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 09:29 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusls4
That noise is what mechanics call dry start . It's basically starting the car while the oil has a delay on lubricating the rod bearing and it causes a slight second of piston slap. I don't understand why it does it but my Ls430 does it sometimes and other times it doesnt. I'm thinking it's the temperature outside and it also depends on your old conditions. If you start it up and it makes the knock while a engine oil light on,you have a problem .
Does this still apply to a hybrid? I though the electric oil pump is always running to keep the system pressurized to avoid this because of the constant starting and stopping, and the extra wear it would cause if it didn't.
Old 02-24-17, 04:42 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

It has an electric oil pump?
Old 02-27-17, 11:22 AM
tus
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NateJG
It has an electric oil pump?
I honestly don't know.

Hoping someone who does know can chime in and either confirm or correct what I've heard about the things.
Old 04-20-17, 10:39 AM
d2gs3
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is an old thread but any update from FJ40DRM? I am at 88K with the " gear backlash noise" at start up in the morning. Fresh oil change with MobileOne Synthetic 0-20W still making noise. No CEL.

Last edited by d2gs3; 04-20-17 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 04:32 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Does it immediately disappear once putting the car into gear (either FWD or REV)?
Old 04-25-17, 08:13 PM
d2gs3
Lead Lap

Does it immediately disappear once putting the car into gear (either FWD or REV)?
No, it still make noise. Definitely something need oil. Anyone figure out what is the exact root cause? Oil pump weak? I really want to fix this. When startup cold (in morning or afternoon after work) the engine shake slightly but no CEL. It shake for about 1 to 2 minutes. Car is 2010 RX450h with 88K miles.

Last edited by d2gs3; 04-25-17 at 08:17 PM.
Old 04-25-17, 08:27 PM
11bravo
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know anything about that particular engine, but if it is shaking badly on startup, I certainly would not be driving it. You need to have it looked at by a good shop that is familiar with your setup.
Old 04-26-17, 05:52 AM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Basic engine diagnostics was, and is: Air, Fuel, Ignition - therefore, when diagnosing a rough-running engine, start with things that one can easily rule out.

At your car's mileage, fouled spark plugs is not impossible, and can be readily-inexpensively ruled out (by replacement), fuel issues mitigated (with fuel system cleaning), and air management checked (tailpipe emissions and electronic combustion control system analysis come to mind).

A temporarily rough-running engine at startup accompanied by noise that is caused by a mechanical issue is possible (valvetrain timing management?) however why jump into explorative heart surgery before high blood pressure and stress-reduction?
The following users liked this post:
tkill (04-26-17)
Old 05-04-17, 08:06 AM
d2gs3
Lead Lap

Basic engine diagnostics was, and is: Air, Fuel, Ignition - therefore, when diagnosing a rough-running engine, start with things that one can easily rule out.

At your car's mileage, fouled spark plugs is not impossible, and can be readily-inexpensively ruled out (by replacement), fuel issues mitigated (with fuel system cleaning), and air management checked (tailpipe emissions and electronic combustion control system analysis come to mind).

A temporarily rough-running engine at startup accompanied by noise that is caused by a mechanical issue is possible (valvetrain timing management?) however why jump into explorative heart surgery before high blood pressure and stress-reduction?
- Will do spark plugs soon (way over due I guess since even platinum spark plug only last 60K). Anyone has a link to spark plug replacement? I believe the IM need to be come off, how hard it is?
- Foul spark plugs is possible but why after 1 minutes it run smoothly?
- While doing spark plugs, I will inspect the injectors as well.
- Seem to be not many people here wrenching the car (sad), either they rely on warranty or Lexus stealer to fix the car so not much info for DIY on any major issue
Old 05-08-17, 06:41 PM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm having a similar issue. CEL is on and took it to the stealership only to tell me there was water in the gas. I thought it was odd and told me run the car down to very minimum levels and hopefully the light will go away. Told me it's a hybrid issue.

Looking for a better solution. Thinking of getting a second opinion at another dealership.
Old 05-09-17, 09:51 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 479 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by xvimalx
I'm having a similar issue. CEL is on and took it to the stealership only to tell me there was water in the gas. I thought it was odd and told me run the car down to very minimum levels and hopefully the light will go away. Told me it's a hybrid issue.

Looking for a better solution. Thinking of getting a second opinion at another dealership.
Did they read the code and give you the water in the gas idea based on that? Also, I did not know that only hybrids run badly with water in the gas tank. What does that dealership recommend for RX350s? A 50/50 gas/water mix for best economy?
Old 06-23-17, 07:20 AM
xvimalx
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Droid13
Did they read the code and give you the water in the gas idea based on that? Also, I did not know that only hybrids run badly with water in the gas tank. What does that dealership recommend for RX350s? A 50/50 gas/water mix for best economy?
They actually had another hybrid in with a gas in the take issue and replaced the gasket spark plugs etc and it was still facing the same issue so he said its a similar issue and told me to go buy water remover from Autozone. They kept the car for almost a week and gave me such a weak solution! The engine runs fine while driving and the CEL has been on and off. Mostly off now after I got an oil change but the knocking at startup in the morning is getting annoying and there should be a viable solution. If anyone has found a solution please share. I'm taking it in for the 60K service at the end of the summer and will advise what the dealer says.

Thanks for the insight!
Old 02-01-18, 10:10 AM
spineman
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by rsutoratos
My was knocking like a **** on startup, and while sitting in traffic the car goes from hybrid to gas, the whole car gets loud bang and extreme shakes. It sounded like the car was going to blow up... my rx is lexus dealer maintain, since they fixed all the issue under warranty/extended warranty I dont really care at this point.. as I have 3 days left with my rx.. traded it for a MDX
Sorry to here that. I just bought my 450 a few months ago. My mechanic just told me I need new injectors. $900 in parts alone. I already changed the coils at $500 because that is what everyone on blog said when I searched P0300 codes. Is there an organized problems and fix section on here? Seems as though everyone starts a new thread for the same little dumb problems
Old 12-22-18, 03:37 PM
AeneasWalk
Driver School Candidate

Joined this forum just to add this: consider using the Archoil 9100 oil additive. On cold startups I experienced the same problem except that it could also be felt through the seat. Had this car had a turbo like my turbo Subaru I would've been very concerned as it usually means a new shortblock. Hearing this on a Toyota made me less concerned. I already had Archoil 9100 for my Subaru so I tried it on the RX450h along with my next full synthetic change. Upon cold startups I can still hear light rattling on occasions when I really listen for it (i.e. radio off), but it is now much quieter and I haven't felt it through the seat/chassis since. I recently started the car after returning from a weeklong trip where temps at home were 30f - 40f, the startup was still smooth. Archoil is also popular among the Ford Power Stroke crowd for stiction issues, as well. Look for Jay Leno's feature on it on YouTube.
Old 02-08-22, 07:29 AM
Bada
Driver School Candidate

Default Lexus ES 350 Cold Start all the time

[QUOTE=lexusls4;9717120]
Originally Posted by rsutoratos
Someone said injectors ? If it knocks really hard, its the TSB, happened to me a 79k and again at 115k.. I'm at 126k now. Luckily I had extended warranty, cost a bundle if its was out...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...anty-work.html - Check out the photos on the injector here...

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...t-came-on.html

TSB L-SB-0045-12 - Replaced 6 fuel injectors
23209-31160
23291-28020 - insulators
25627-31030 - EGR gasket
17179-31010 - Intake manif gasket
17176-0P021 - Air Surge gasket[/QUOTE. If the noise is a slight tap ,then it could be injector. I still highly doubt it . If it's making the noise for a few second then you might have to check your oil weight and condition of it. If that noise goes on every time you start the car ,and imagine if you start the car ten times a day. This will usually cause premature wear on the rod bearing no question ask . I been a mechanic for 20 years working on Hondas ,and I know their variable valve timing engine are known for dry start . I would be concern if I had less then 100k miles ,then again it shouldn't do this even at 200k miles .
What is the best solution to every time starting the cold Start happens even after running and switch off within 5mins it will make sound…

Quick Reply: Engine knock at cold startup - RX450H