Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX400H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX400H. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other second generation RX models.

RX400h LED Lowbeams.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-16, 10:15 AM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RX400h LED Lowbeams.

Hey doods. Im thinking about retrofitting OEM LEDs from the Toyota Corolla onto my rx400h. I actually want the Prius V LEDs but I dont know if they are any different for the Corollas in terms of Lumen output or even manufacture

Why you ask? Here are the reasons:

-Better distance. HIDs are brighter up front but have a shorter distance. But I can always install LED fogs over the halogen stock ones to make up for the lack of peripherals.
-Lower power consumption.
-No maintenance. Two new HID bulbs are $100 but really you only need to replace every 3-5 years. With LEDs you are probably looking at 10 years of service.
-Acceptable levels of glare. This is a huge factor for me. Because i care lol.
-If im driving a Hybrid, I might as well go with the theme. LED in the rear, LED up in the front.

Reasons why Im hesitant to install:

-I like the adaptive headlights. Very badass feature on any car imo. Especially when you start the car up and see them move.

-Hids are good enough.

-My first retrofit.

I wanted to get your guys opinion.
Old 05-09-16, 09:54 PM
PUREADDICT
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based on your reasons, I'd say keep the HIDs. You mentioned LED maintenance is 10 years out, but do you think you're realistically keeping the RX that long? Out of the 15 cars I've owned I don't think I've only kept one car for more than 1.5 years (2012 Prius).

IMHO, I love the adaptive HIDs in my RX and I wouldn't switch them out for LEDs. Yes, the output isn't that far, but that's what my high beams are for during my treks in the hills. If in the future I determine the HID output may affect the safety of me and my family then I will look into better performing bulbs (Philips, Raybrig, etc).

I don't feel the amount of work plus losing factory adaptive headlight capabilities is worth the conversion. Just my two cents!
Old 05-13-16, 08:43 PM
theory816
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PUREADDICT
Based on your reasons, I'd say keep the HIDs. You mentioned LED maintenance is 10 years out, but do you think you're realistically keeping the RX that long? Out of the 15 cars I've owned I don't think I've only kept one car for more than 1.5 years (2012 Prius).

IMHO, I love the adaptive HIDs in my RX and I wouldn't switch them out for LEDs. Yes, the output isn't that far, but that's what my high beams are for during my treks in the hills. If in the future I determine the HID output may affect the safety of me and my family then I will look into better performing bulbs (Philips, Raybrig, etc).

I don't feel the amount of work plus losing factory adaptive headlight capabilities is worth the conversion. Just my two cents!
Thanks for your imput Pure.

Do I plan to keep my RX that long? Most likely not However, this is a mod that I believe will not raise or lower the value of the car. If anything it should raise the value. Not only will the LEDs provide better lighting, but it also looks stock and matches the theme of the car perfectly. The next owner will never have to tinkle with changing out the light bulb and with the RX, a lot of women will not bother to pop the hood of a car.

In my opinion, the light source of a car is the only mod you can do that will preserve a cars stock look which is why so many people opt do it on vehicles that have a weaker light source.

I love the adaptive headlights too but considering the options, Id have to lose them. The reason is because very rarely do you use the ATS. Like I said, the LED beam is further than the HIDs and this is a important safety factor. So between the two which would you choose? A further beam which you will need 100% of the time or adaptive lights that you will use just a couple of times on the nightly drive home? PLUS, you can install LED fogs to match up with the white lowbeams so that you can have stronger peripheral lights making it pointless to keep the ATS.

Now I havent actuallly taken a look at the headlights of my car yet because Im too lazy to take apart the bumper. But depending on how the motor of the ATS, I might just order two pair of rx350 headlights with projector beams non ATS and cut those up to fit the Corolla LEDs. This way my the ATS is left alone and if I ever wanted to see my headlights turn left and right agian on start up I can just reinstall them.