Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the 2016 up RX450h model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the RX450h. Please use the main forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation RX models.

Any Issue(s) on 4th Gen RX450h ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-16, 01:10 PM
DunWkg
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Upon completion of the dash, we reached an agreement, for what's it worth, that if in my routine cleaning of the dash with the chemicals I routinely use the blemish shows up again, they would replace the dash. Not an option I relish, but that blemish is too much to bear on a new and expensive car.

I drove over around a quiet parking lot in EV mode yesterday and did not hear either sound.
Old 10-05-16, 01:50 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No brake noise for me

Last edited by s2000zr; 11-08-16 at 07:01 PM.
Old 10-19-16, 04:47 PM
danais7
Rookie

Received 40 Likes on 17 Posts

Ericsan13
Opened ticket with Lexus Customer Care about the brake click/squawk noise heard during lower speed braking. Took my 450H to dealer for Lexus Factory Rep (LFR) to inspect. LFR test drove car and heard the click/squawk noises. LFR recorded the noise to include in his report back to Lexus Factory staff. Service manager said there may or may not be a fix. The good thing is that Lexus is aware of the issue. Dealer did not have another 450H on the lot for me to drive. So i do not know if other 450Hs have the same brake click/squawk noises. Still enjoy driving the 450H. So....it is a wait and see for me. Will keep you posted.
Old 10-20-16, 12:45 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by danais7
Ericsan13
Opened ticket with Lexus Customer Care about the brake click/squawk noise heard during lower speed braking. Took my 450H to dealer for Lexus Factory Rep (LFR) to inspect. LFR test drove car and heard the click/squawk noises. LFR recorded the noise to include in his report back to Lexus Factory staff. Service manager said there may or may not be a fix. The good thing is that Lexus is aware of the issue. Dealer did not have another 450H on the lot for me to drive. So i do not know if other 450Hs have the same brake click/squawk noises. Still enjoy driving the 450H. So....it is a wait and see for me. Will keep you posted.
Thanks for sharing. I also looked for 450h on the lot to test it out but our cars are definitely more rare than the 350.
Old 10-20-16, 12:49 PM
s2000zr
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have any brake noise at low speed. But I do have a hum/vibration when the engine is at 1000-1200 rpm
Old 10-21-16, 11:54 AM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by s2000zr
I don't have any brake noise at low speed. But I do have a hum/vibration when the engine is at 1000-1200 rpm
The conditions have to be fairly quiet for you to hear it. i.e radio off, in a parking garage. But it is very evident when it's quiet.
Old 02-22-17, 04:32 AM
Andersaa
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

To you having owned a 3. gen Rx:
My 2011 RX450h was very smooth when driving in parking lots and traffic - when barely moving. You could barely hear the engine start, and newer hear it stop. In my 2017 RX450h, the engine starts With a small shiver in the car, it revs higher, and it feels like the car is making a small jump forward. When it stops, it does With a short vibration - not much, but quite different than in the 3. gen. Not so smooth as I would expect in a Lexus.
Is this my car - or is this typcal for 4. gen 450h?
Old 02-22-17, 04:44 AM
pdaeng
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Andersaa
My 2011 RX450h was very smooth when driving in parking lots and traffic - when barely moving. You could barely hear the engine start, and newer hear it stop. In my 2017 RX450h, the engine starts With a small shiver in the car, it revs higher, and it feels like the car is making a small jump forward. When it stops, it does With a short vibration - not much, but quite different than in the 3. gen. Not so smooth as I would expect in a Lexus.

Yes, my 450h does the same thing. Plus the brake noise. Lexus's quality is worse than toyota. Last Lexus.
Old 02-22-17, 08:46 AM
ggebhardt
Pole Position

Received 497 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by Andersaa
I have own both 3rd and now 4th generation 450h and I must say the 4th generation is by far my favorite. No shivers or vibration, just smooth linear acceleration. I have nothing to complain about for the first 1200 miles except the stupid mouse thing.

Lexus has been good to me and yet I have ventured to other brands like Range Rover, Mercedes and Porsche and it is always nice to go back to the Lexus.
Old 04-10-17, 03:48 PM
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No issues yet. Just have had it two weeks. And to previous poster, Who lets their passengers put their feet on the dash?
Old 05-04-17, 01:31 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the RX450h F-sport for a month now with 700 miles. Just love this car with all the technology especially in safety...Brake by itself! Once backing up from garage and got a near miss to the trash can, thanks to the self brake system. I used to own the first generation LX450 and it lasted till 180,000 miles(retired). The only problem I had is the rear trunk sensor at the emblem which does not work to hand waving most of the time. Do you guys have the same problem? I know there was a recall back a few months ago for the ECU of the trunk opener, so wondering if it is related to that ECU. I got the car in April 1st, dealer should have fixed the recall, right??
Old 05-04-17, 08:55 PM
lexnewbi
Intermediate

Received 123 Likes on 88 Posts

I do hear a clunk noise when applying the break. It is soft, so I only hear it when radio is off and driving at low speeds in parking lots. Seems worse when cold and car just started.

As as far as when the engine turns on, it varies. Sometimes it is smooth, other times it shudders. A couple of times while at a light, the engine came on at higher RPMs than usual and the car lurched forward. This only happened in cold days.

My engine always turns on when the battery indicator shows 2-3 bars. It never lets it get below 2 bars.
Old 05-05-17, 12:29 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by yardbird88
I had the RX450h F-sport for a month now with 700 miles. Just love this car with all the technology especially in safety...Brake by itself! Once backing up from garage and got a near miss to the trash can, thanks to the self brake system. I used to own the first generation LX450 and it lasted till 180,000 miles(retired). The only problem I had is the rear trunk sensor at the emblem which does not work to hand waving most of the time. Do you guys have the same problem? I know there was a recall back a few months ago for the ECU of the trunk opener, so wondering if it is related to that ECU. I got the car in April 1st, dealer should have fixed the recall, right??
Don't wave your hand. Hold it steadily 2" or less from the top of the rear emblem.

I actually just put a knuckle from one finger on the top of the emblem. I feel stupid hovering my hand for no reason.
The following users liked this post:
yardbird88 (05-05-17)
Old 05-05-17, 12:52 PM
yardbird88
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ericsan13
Don't wave your hand. Hold it steadily 2" or less from the top of the rear emblem.

I actually just put a knuckle from one finger on the top of the emblem. I feel stupid hovering my hand for no reason.
Thanks, I tried it again last night and yes,it only work by holding your hand a few seconds(way too long) near the emblem. The manual lies by saying waving your hand up & down. It's a useless function. Lexus needs to fix the sensitivity.
Old 05-08-17, 12:33 PM
ericsan13
Racer

Originally Posted by yardbird88
Thanks, I tried it again last night and yes,it only work by holding your hand a few seconds(way too long) near the emblem. The manual lies by saying waving your hand up & down. It's a useless function. Lexus needs to fix the sensitivity.
It takes me approximately 2 seconds for the feature to activate.

Don't quote me but I believe there is a way for you to customize the sensor sensitivity. I doubt you can change the length of time needed though.

Quick Reply: Any Issue(s) on 4th Gen RX450h ?