Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the GS450H model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the GS450H. Please use the main 4GS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation GS models.

3rd Gen GS450H owner looking to buy 4th Gen GS450H

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-16, 04:46 AM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 3rd Gen GS450H owner looking to buy 4th Gen GS450H

I finally test drive a lovely used 2013 GS450H yesterday.

I loved everything about the vehicle. The fit and finish seems superior. The creature comforts are better. The Nav screen is gorgeous!

I would have pulled the trigger except for one thing. The acceleration seemed lackluster compared to the 3rd Gen.

The 4th Gen seemed smoother so maybe I didn't notice the get up and go as well, or perhaps
this particular example I drove was a dud. (The latter seems somewhat unlikely.)

It seemed to have some hesitation to it.

Has anyone else noticed the same thing?

That said I am likely to buy one as soon as a find a better equipped example. It is an amazing car.
Old 02-07-16, 10:52 AM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

If you're comparing the 4th Gen with the 3rd Gen, Lexus focused more on efficiency in the 4th generation model. So it's less of a performance car (not as fast as the 3rd Gen), but produces much better mpg numbers. The 4th gen also has a curb weight that is 56lbs more than the 3rd gen.. so not that big of difference, but that just wanted to point it out.

Get a 4th gen GS450h on a highway and get the batteries charged up (there is a menu on screen where you can see the battery charge level). Then try to gun it from 60+ mph or get to open & safe side road (when the battery is near fully charge - i.e. 7/8 bars), then gun it from a stand still. You should be impressed for a car that weighs 4200lbs & can deliver upper 20's/low 30's mpg numbers.

I haven't test driven the 3rd gen, but I sat in one. There is a big difference in terms of interior build & overall quality between the two latest generations... especially in terms of technology.

If you want to read up more specifics on the 4th gen GS450h, there is a whole separate subforum here dedicated toward it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-242/

All the best & let me know if I can be of any other help!

~ Im2bz2p345
Old 02-07-16, 11:16 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
If you're comparing the 4th Gen with the 3rd Gen, Lexus focused more on efficiency in the 4th generation model. So it's less of a performance car (not as fast as the 3rd Gen), but produces much better mpg numbers. The 4th gen also has a curb weight that is 56lbs more than the 3rd gen.. so not that big of difference, but that just wanted to point it out.

Get a 4th gen GS450h on a highway and get the batteries charged up (there is a menu on screen where you can see the battery charge level). Then try to gun it from 60+ mph or get to open & safe side road (when the battery is near fully charge - i.e. 7/8 bars), then gun it from a stand still. You should be impressed for a car that weighs 4200lbs & can deliver upper 20's/low 30's mpg numbers.

I haven't test driven the 3rd gen, but I sat in one. There is a big difference in terms of interior build & overall quality between the two latest generations... especially in terms of technology.

If you want to read up more specifics on the 4th gen GS450h, there is a whole separate subforum here dedicated toward it: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hybrid-technology-242/

All the best & let me know if I can be of any other help!

~ Im2bz2p345
Very good analysis from you Im2bz2p345. I did exactly what the OP is looking to do. I went from a 3rd gen to a 4th gen 450h. The only thing I miss about my '10 GS450h is the acceleration. The biggest difference to me how much bigger the '13 feels. The '10 felt a little tight. I have not really compared the specs, but just sitting my '13 compared to my former '10 seems like huge difference. I am not a small guy, nor am I huge. But I do really like the room the 4th gen provides.

In addition, the fresher layout of the 4th gen is nice. The styling is a bit more bold, but still keeps the elegance we have come accustomed to. The nav/info screen is huge. The only thing I miss in my '13 is the folding mirrors. Sort of wish I had that option. It's not available on the '13.

In the end, I think you'll enjoy a 4th gen model. Although the 450h is rare, according to dealers, you still may be able to find a few nice ones out there. Every time I take mine in, they always say how rare it is to see one come in for service. Good luck!
Old 02-07-16, 05:29 PM
Stoodo
Advanced

Received 86 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks for the replies... I am going to pull the trigger at some point. I just need to be patient.
Old 02-09-16, 04:00 PM
1fuzzybk
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at a few 3GSh's as only these were available in my area. I agree with everything said above also including the engine difference with the 4GSh running the Atkinson cycle.

Another thing to note is the 3GSh had a faster power draw from the battery. So fast that it was damaging the batteries. After warranty replacement of the batteries owners noticed the car was slower as the Hybrid system was drawing less power to conserve battery performance.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/hyb...roll-call.html
Old 02-27-16, 11:06 AM
Tom450
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Hi Stoodo,

Here is a very rare find: New 2015 Fsport GS450H in Orlando. Wonder what kind of deal they would give you off the $75K new car price. Maybe 20K?
http://www.brumoslexusoforangepark.c.../9005374?cid=4